Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.1 Base 7spd... X-pipe? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1066384-991-1-base-7spd-x-pipe.html)

drdiaboloco 04-30-2018 04:49 PM

991.1 Base 7spd... X-pipe?

This has been covered before to some extent, I know, but posting anyway. I have the car described in the thread title. Just looking for a little bit more "something" from the exhaust without breaking the bank (never saw the point in seriously upgrading this car, if I were to go that way I'd just move into an "S"). Something throatier would be good. I don't do much highway driving but when I do I don't want it droning on and on. Here's where I am:

1- Sharkwerks. I see they've redesigned the Sport exhaust to reduce vibration, which I understand isn't an issue with MT cars. Cheapest by far. Not sure I'm crazy about the exhaust crackling off-throttle, I mean I do like it but I don't want the car to be obnoxious. Also can't tell if the exhaust sound videos online are for this or the upgraded version, or if they're the same. Reviews from owners say "drones on the highway" or "doesn't drone at all on the highway". *sigh*

2- AWE. Haven't read as much about this setup, but from what I have seen it's supposedly quieter than Sharkwerks.

3- Fabspeed. Fabulous looking for sure. Manufacturer has a great rep. May be the quietest of all.

I also find it telling that none of the manufacturers seem to have any posted dyno results, which I will take as evidence that there is no gain from their setups, or is so marginal as to be meaningless. Mostly I don't want to LOSE any performance, there is the suggestion that straight-across pipes like the Sharkwerks may eat some torque as compared to Fabspeed which blends the left and right sides at the crossover.

Thoughts? "Bang for the buck" is important here, thus no desire to go beyond this level of complication or price. Any input, especially from owners, would be appreciated. Leaning towards Sharkwerks on price but will spend more if the end result is better. Or maybe I'll just do nothing, not sure yet.

eagle1960 04-30-2018 07:44 PM

Can't speak to the 991 specifically but my previous 997.2s had the Sharkwerkes bypass to start and then I added a Gundo mod. The Shrkwrks was very mild. Hardly noticeable unless you are really into the throttle. The Gundo made it come alive . No drone with either or both. Forget about any changes in power or torque either way . Whatever might be there is too small to notice.

drdiaboloco 04-30-2018 08:50 PM

I am not really expecting a performance boost, just don't want to lose a few torques along the way.

s4one 05-01-2018 02:21 PM

AWE is good.

jnx 05-03-2018 12:18 PM

I'm happy with sound and quality of AWE on my '13 base, 7 speed cab.

K-A 05-03-2018 11:22 PM

Really love my Sharkwerks X Pipe on the 3.4. It's kind of a "PSE all in one" in a way. At low RPM's it's very tame (too tame), but at higher RPM's it rips with a raw chainsaw scream. It'll startle people when you want it to, but also can be very subdued when you want it to. Very throaty sound. Kind of a "covering both worlds" approach, without getting too extreme on either side.

arter 05-04-2018 10:55 PM

I would get sport cats if you want more noise, plus you will get some more power too.