Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seasucker bike rack OK for long trips at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:44 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Seasucker bike rack OK for long trips at high speed?

I am making a 1200 mile trip next week at speeds of between 75-80 mph. Based on reviews on this board and others, I bought this bike rack for my 911 (seasucker Talon 1). I've read through the rennlist threads but couldn't find much info on its reliability on long trips.

Does anybody have experience with taking their bikes on long trips with this rack on their 911? I would also be putting the forward suction cups on my glass sunroof........

Here are twp photos of someone else's 911s with the rack.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I am not familiar with them, and I have to assume they are secure. However, I could never be comfortable entrusting my $150K 911 & multi-$K bike to suction cups. I'd be a nervous wreck the whole trip.

But at the prices I saw for the mount, they must be some darn good suction cups.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I am not familiar with them, and I have to assume they are secure. However, I could never be comfortable entrusting my $150K 911 & multi-$K bike to suction cups. I'd be a nervous wreck the whole trip.

But at the prices I saw for the mount, they must be some darn good suction cups.
A promotional video of theirs shows the rack mounted on a stock car (NASCAR) doing like 160 on a track.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 PM
gomer214
5th Gear

I’ve had a Seasucker for years but never used it on my 911. Always used it suctioned to the back glass of my truck with the back wheel resting in the bed. It’s never come loose but obviously been blocked by the cab. The little suction indicators on your Seasucker are awesome for making sure you have a good seal. Pump those up every time you stop and you should be good to go. Good luck at the races!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

"High speed".... "75-80"
Seriously???
The following 2 users liked this post by chuck911:
0luke1 (03-11-2020), Blac-TP (03-11-2020)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

My buddies that do triathlons ship their bikes. Do that?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
"High speed".... "75-80"
Seriously???
Ha ha....well yes, with a bike rack being held on by suction cups to the top of a 911..... yeah that is high speed.

Originally Posted by LexVan
My buddies that do triathlons ship their bikes. Do that?
Good thought. I did think about that and also did triathlons before a serious cycling accident last summer. They were all short distances away though and I had a Lexus at the time to transport the bike. A bike transport case just isn't worth it for the one time I would use it.

EDIT: Ok, I just googled ways to ship a bike without a $600 case which includes a mailer (i.e. cardboard box for only $40). This might be a good option for a one time thing. It's a $3200 bike (just the frame) without all of the upgraded components to it so I'm not sure a cheap cardboard box would sit well with me.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:52 AM
gomer214
5th Gear

TriBike Transport is who I’ve used for my Ironmans but they are limited for what races they support. Not sure if they are even still in business...last time I used them was four years ago.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 AM
Valarr
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I've used a seasucker to transport my P3 for a year or so. I've never done a really long trip, but I've never had an issue on the expressway for short jaunts. Just check to make sure each cup has good suction occasionally.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Ha ha....well yes, with a bike rack being held on by suction cups to the top of a 911..... yeah that is high speed.

Good thought. I did think about that and also did triathlons before a serious cycling accident last summer. They were all short distances away though and I had a Lexus at the time to transport the bike. A bike transport case just isn't worth it for the one time I would use it.

EDIT: Ok, I just googled ways to ship a bike without a $600 case which includes a mailer (i.e. cardboard box for only $40). This might be a good option for a one time thing. It's a $3200 bike (just the frame) without all of the upgraded components to it so I'm not sure a cheap cardboard box would sit well with me.
I don't know about this rack specifically but its easy enough to look around and see this exact same suction cup technology used to mount some very expensive (and bulky, and heavy) camera gear on cars driven a whole lot faster than 80. You can even see a shot of this in the videos Porsche just made of the GT3RS on the Isle of Man. Just be sure to place the bike on the rack while standing beside the car, not riding the bike onto the car like Sagan. (In joke.) (YouTube in case you missed it.)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:31 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you said you already purchased he Searsucker rack but allternatively, you could buy the Porsche cross bars and buy a bike tray. That would be secure and you can use the cross bars for other stuff if needed.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I just use the OEM roof rack and bike mount. I'm sure Seasuckers work fine but i just wouldnt have peace of mind. I use gopro in my car for some track days and even those suckers, which are normally stuck on my rear window and are very sturdy, will lose suction throughout the day, I'm guessing because of the temperature variation between mounting them in the cold morning and as the day warms up. I have had my gopro fall off on to the back seat midlap, so while I'm sure Seasuckers will work well with proper install, I would never have peace of mind with my $$$K bike mounted on it.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usccharles
I just use the OEM roof rack and bike mount. I'm sure Seasuckers work fine but i just wouldnt have peace of mind. I use gopro in my car for some track days and even those suckers, which are normally stuck on my rear window and are very sturdy, will lose suction throughout the day, I'm guessing because of the temperature variation between mounting them in the cold morning and as the day warms up. I have had my gopro fall off on to the back seat midlap, so while I'm sure Seasuckers will work well with proper install, I would never have peace of mind with my $$$K bike mounted on it.
Yes I agree. I read the instructions online and they say you have to reprime (pump) the suctions every four hours if taking long trips. They also have an indicator on them showing their prime. I will find out soon enough, the bike rack arrives today and I start my 1200 mile trip tomorrow morning.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

following. I bought the seasuckers as well, but just for shorter trips. I will try them out this weekend.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yes I agree. I read the instructions online and they say you have to reprime (pump) the suctions every four hours if taking long trips. They also have an indicator on them showing their prime. I will find out soon enough, the bike rack arrives today and I start my 1200 mile trip tomorrow morning.
let us know how it goes! I’m sure it will work perfectly

Quick Reply: Seasucker bike rack OK for long trips at high speed?