Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my T! Impressions, Review and Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Well I'm looking for a T in GT Silver. I've seen the ones on Car Guru but they don't quite hit the mark for me. Ideally it would be one like this code: PK3E44F3
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Looks sharp Alex! I was going to ask you what leather shop in town you used (As I can't seem to find any good ones) - I'm super impressed with your needlework skills. Can't wait to see it in person.

cheers!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Really is not that hard. You just need the thread (T90 Bonded Polyester), needles (size 14/18) and lots of patience. It took me around 2 hours to do it. Hardest part was... removing the shifter!

I've been doing leather crafts as a hobby for some time, so the skills came in handy.
That looks incredible. You are now my best friend.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Well I'm looking for a T in GT Silver. I've seen the ones on Car Guru but they don't quite hit the mark for me. Ideally it would be one like this code: PK3E44F3
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-t-touring/
Old 04-28-2018, 05:08 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Incredible, really impressed to see the DIY job on the shifter boot. Great job and sounds like you are just loving your 911 which is what these cars are all about!!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I have to say there is something I like much better than your T: Your enthusiastic enjoyment of your T!

I truly enjoyed your writeup. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. She's a real beauty inside and out.

Just wait until you are ready to push it hard and then see how much bigger your smile can get. My son is also a car nut and loves these cars too. I took him with me for our first full-throttle run and like he said: "Holy S***!!!".

Last edited by StormRune; 04-29-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:43 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Thank you all! Looks like the shifter stitching got the RL seal of approval

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Looks sharp Alex! I was going to ask you what leather shop in town you used (As I can't seem to find any good ones) - I'm super impressed with your needlework skills. Can't wait to see it in person.

cheers!
Thanks! I like doing leatherwork and other kind of crafts as my day to day job requires some "deep thinking" and problem solving. To be able to engage in an activity that you can just do and let the brain rest is a nice change.

Looking forward to finally meet face to face... or T to T

Originally Posted by tgavem

That looks incredible. You are now my best friend.
Thanks Tor! Hope your T gets here also ahead of schedule as some of us have experienced.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Incredible, really impressed to see the DIY job on the shifter boot. Great job and sounds like you are just loving your 911 which is what these cars are all about!!
Thanks! I like adding some personal details to my cars, specially if I think they will be long term keepers.

Originally Posted by StormRune
I have to say there is something I like much better than your T: Your enthusiast enjoyment of your T!

I truly enjoyed your writeup. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. She's a real beauty inside and out.

Just wait until you are ready to push it hard and then see how much bigger your smile can get. My son is also a car nut and loves these cars too. I took him with me for our first full-throttle run and like he said: "Holy S***!!!".

I'm already having a hard time staying below 4K RPM ! At least tomorrow I will get a chance to experience it on a longer drive while I drop off my son back in Austin.

One thing is for sure, nothing beats having a child that enjoys these things as much as we do. That amplifies the experience.

Cheers!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Well, today I had a chance to dig into my "mods box" and tackled a couple of additional tasks:

First, easy one, change the black key sides to GT Silver to match my car, and put it on a Porsche carabiner to carry the key. I will need to keep it handy (on my belt loop) as I ordered this one without keyless entry. I really wanted to stay "retro" and actually use the key.

Here it is:

The next one was installing my V1 radar detector and hardwire it to the passenger fuse box. Again, one of those things that sounds more complicated, but will take less than 10 minutes once you get the hang of it. I've installed this one so many times that all you really need to know is which fuse to use. By the way, big THANKS to @Code for pointing out in another thread which fuse to use: Passenger side, Bank D, position 2.

After attaching the Blendmount to the rearview mirror, you need to route the cable all along the headliner, down to the dash, and then go thru the side panel down to the fuse box. Use one of the chassis bolts for ground, and the fuse tap for power. Love not having any wires dangling around, and not having to turn on or off the V1 as it turns on and off automatically as I start or shut down the engine.

Here's with just the Blendmount installed:

Now routing the cables:

Tap to fuse box:

All done!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the silver key and Dring, just looks fantastic. I also love the V1, but I also try mounts, but many where to low and kinda blocked my view, so I kinda MacGyver'd it with 2 zip ties, lol, now its flush directly below mirror
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

^^^ That's not a bad idea at all! And looks like you do get more visibility indeed.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Congrats Alex!!!! Im sure the macan is a distant memory right now Very excited for you and i hope you continue to enjoy it every day for years to come.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Congrats Alex!!!! Im sure the macan is a distant memory right now Very excited for you and i hope you continue to enjoy it every day for years to come.
Thanks! It's nice to see fellow friends from MF here too.

Yes, it feels like a distant memory now. I honestly thought that it was going to be a little harder to leave the GTS behind, but getting into the Carrera T has been enlightening. It is such an incredible and capable car, no wonder the 911 is the yardstick against which all other sports cars are measured.

Looking forward to many years with it.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:30 AM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

Really a great looking new T. Your craftsmanship in enhancing your shift boot does tie in very well with your rest of the interior.

Can you share a close up picture of your "dash plaque"?

Thanks

Last edited by wdr911; 04-29-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Really is not that hard. You just need the thread (T90 Bonded Polyester), needles (size 14/18) and lots of patience. It took me around 2 hours to do it. Hardest part was... removing the shifter!

I've been doing leather crafts as a hobby for some time, so the skills came in handy.
Alex , when you summarized the Macan S to GTS differences I was impressed . When you counted all the buttons on the Macan I was even more impressed . But this DIY sewing thing has me blown away !! All you need is a logo and a patent before Porsche Tequipment takes your idea and charges 1K for it.
Great job !!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:15 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Alex , when you summarized the Macan S to GTS differences I was impressed . When you counted all the buttons on the Macan I was even more impressed . But this DIY sewing thing has me blown away !! All you need is a logo and a patent before Porsche Tequipment takes your idea and charges 1K for it.
Great job !!

Thank you for your kind words Larry!

I have lots of fun doing these little mods to my cars. It is part of the enjoyment I get out of them!

Quick Reply: Finally got my T! Impressions, Review and Mods!