Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying my first Porsche...What do i need to look at?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:55 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thdoc14

Had PPI done...here are the issues that were found
  • ​​​​​​PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION: -LOW COOLANT INDICATOR IS ON, COOLANT LEAK, DRIPPING, FROM PLASTIC HOUSING AT BACK OF WATER PUMP TO THERMOSTAT HOUSING
  • -OIL SERVICE NOW INDICATOR IS ON
  • -BRAKE FLUID MOISTURE CONTENT IS LESS THAN 1% -
  • REAR LICENSE PLATE BRACKET IS MISSING -
  • HOLES DRILLED ONTO FRONT CENTER GRILL UNDER TOP LOUVER, POSSIBLY TO SECURE FRONT PLATE -
  • VINYL ON REAR WING IS DAMAGED ON RIGHT REAR -
  • SMALL CHIP ON RIGHT REAR SHARK TAIL FILM -
  • DRIVER'S DOOR POCKET REAR HINGE IS BROKEN -
  • SCREW DRIVER AND HEADLIGHT WRENCH IS MISSING FROM TOOL KIT -
  • FRONT CHIN SPOILER SLIGHTLY SCRAPED -
  • MINOR SCRATCHES ON LEFT ROCKER NEAR REAR WHEEL -
  • ROOF DECAL SLIGHT BLEMISH -
  • SLIGHT SCRAPE ON LEATHER ON "B" PILLAR, POSSIBLY SEAT BELT BUCKETS -
  • FINE SCRATCHES LOWER SECTION OF REAR BUMPER BEHIND WHEELS
Dealership will fix coolant issue/leak, do first service, repair hinge and should be good.

RME attached.

I likely will be finalizing deal monday
Many people on this forum don't know much about a PPI, based on some of the responses. They think that such a readout has some sort of deep meaning. But I learned the facts when the buyer for my Boxster, who lived out of town, asked me to facilitate a PPI. Except for a few minor blemishes, this car was, to use a technical term, "cherry". I took it to my indy shop with whom I had doing biz with for many years.

They developed a punch list similar to this, and it was shocking. But they were being paid by my potential buyer to catalog how the car deviates from perfection. They did their job, and basically told me (with which anyone would agree), "we don't know how picky your buyer is going to be so we need to be as thorough as we can" If any car that has been driven for a bit does not have this "scuff" or that "chip", the inspection wasn't thorough enough or maybe there was divine intervention throughout the vehicle's life..Of course my buyer showed up, loved the car, and couldn't get the check in my hand fast enough.

Last edited by HD2pct; 05-05-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: missing detail
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I also found a white one, thats in my price range...not sure now I always dreamed of a white 911 slant nose when i was a kid......

I just had to do the same on my 2015 M4...car checked out perfect, and I sent pics of the only flaws ( small chips by rockers behind the wheel) and will deliver Thursday to its new owner. He will love that car, and i will get to drive the (realistic) dream car!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:01 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, whatever you choose, you or someone else is going to be super, super happy with this car !!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Mistake

Buying a car sight unseen makes the assumption that the dealer is not lying about something. I bought my car form a NY porsche dealer and they lied about several things. Get on an airplane and verify condition or pay the price...

Hello all!
Im looking at buying my first Porsche 911 C2S 2017.

It has 2k miles on it and I can get it CPO. Its a car I would buy sight unseen, except for photos. Its located in New York, and I am in Wisconsin.

Any tips on this process? Shipping companies? Things to look out for or ask about the car?

Im coming out of an M4, and looking forward to the car I have sought after since High School!
istake
Old 05-06-2018, 10:17 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

It’s been inspected, so I’m comfortable with it. I did find another one with 250 Miles for a few bucks more which is not titled. I’m debating white vs black now.

Should I have concerns about these ERE cars sitting on lots for so long? I plan to take decals off whatever car i get and have paint correction and PPF applied.

Last edited by 2thdoc14; 05-06-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Car is on the way! Deal finalized friday. 2017 Carrera S Endurance Racing Edition in Black. 2k miles w CPO for 109k.

My plan is to remove decals, have Xpel Stealth done on entire car, then ceramic coated.

I really want a rear spoiler...any turbo or turbo s options for me?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats on the car!

I've seen the Endurance Edition cars and they are beautifully spec'd. They only thing that drove the price down as far as I know were the dubious stickers. Since you are going to remove them, you will have a fantastic car at a great price! The interior is really nice with the carbon fiber trim, red seatbelts and all the performance options. I'm sure you will enjoy this car!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Should I get diagnostics run to see if it was over revved? Who can i contact for a PPI? Any companies out there for this that are trustworthy?
Yes Definitely. Get a DME scan and have them take a pic of the screen with the Over Rev hours. I would be suspect if they don't show it to you. Also they must check the Over Revs for the CPO. Any over revs in 4,5 or 6 I would pass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first Porsche...What do i need to look at?