Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire

Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Btw, if you want to change the title of the thread, you can do so in advanced - but only for a limited time. So.. change it soon.
Why?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:15 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You should talk to a lawyer in Canada, instead of posting here, if you want to understand why Porsche is denying a warranty claim (if in fact it is).
We’re not a litigation based society. I’m quite able to navigate my way through disputes. I’ll give Porsche Canada a kick at their can but I’m not confident. The next step is to retain counsel.

Looks pretty ****ty on them to see more cars burning after the GT3 debacle.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Wow....that's shocking...it just went up like that for no reason? Scary...and can't imagine Porsche would just say No without asking why or what happened or access to the remains. Was it purchased CPO or from a Porsche dealer? Any warranty left? Engine Mods or exhaust mods in particular? Accident history? Am sure those things are what inquiring minds at Porsche want to know!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Wow....that's shocking...it just went up like that for no reason? Scary...and can't imagine Porsche would just say No without asking why or what happened or access to the remains. Was it purchased CPO or from a Porsche dealer? Any warranty left? Engine Mods or exhaust mods in particular? Accident history? Am sure those things are what inquiring minds at Porsche want to know!
CPO
No Mods,
88k-kilometres

NO REASON.

I’m asking again,

Why is a car that is covered under full CPO extended warranty excluded from a catastrophe?

Porsche, want to weigh in on this?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
I’m asking again,
Why is a car that is covered under full CPO extended warranty excluded from a catastrophe?
Truly sorry but the most important thing is that you are not physically harmed.

That smoke looks like a fuel that ignited by the hot exhaust. The only thing that I can think of is a fault with emission system (such as evaporating fuel that get into filters and purge valves that ignited when it made it to the exhaust). That check engine light with that warning could indicate something with failed emission system.

From manufacturer's side, they may think that it is caused by owners' neglect or mods since there is no history of high mileage 991.1 catching fire like that.

I have no idea how to help you besides speculating from video and photos, but I suggest to keep close contact with your lawyer.

PF
Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Within CPO, they should need to include CPEF--COVER PORSCHE ENGINE FIRES
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty bad but good that you got clear okay. Hopefully all will be sorted out for you in due course and the cause of the fire established. I have a fairly similar car so would be keen to hear the outcome. Also, as a new guy to Porsche, was just wondering what CPO stands for - warranty? Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

There was another engine fire that was posted here a few years ago. IIRC, owner got his oil changed at dealer, and someone left an oily rag in the engine bay. When engine got hot, the rag ignited causing fire.

CPO means Certified Pre-Owned and is an extended warranty on used cars.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Wow, so sorry that this happened to you.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

This is what I spoke of in post 23

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9796...stroyed-6.html
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that’s incredible, I’m sorry brother. I would think your video evidence of smoke billowing out of the engine compartment would help your case. Can’t really see them flat out denying without further investigation. Can we get some more details from you? What steps did you take? Who did you talk to? What did they say?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Service history?
Date of last service?
What was done at last service?
How did you store the car for winter?
How soon was car fire after putting the car back in service after winter hibernation?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM
TheDogPack
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Some good rubbing compound and an orbital buffer will make it look like new!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

I'm starting to think I need a fire extinguisher for my car. Wow. Sorry to see this.

OP: Please keep us updated on what the cause was determined to be. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Being that the car is a 2012 it would have been at the extreme limits of any official Porsche CPO coverage, but you also use the phrase "the car was under an extended warranty that covered (specically) the engine". That doesn't sound like a Porsche CPO warranty. What is it?

​​​​It's also not clear if anyone has determined a cause, so things like road debris punctures (there was a thread about that recently) or a mistake in maintenance could be to blame. Has a cause been determined? There is another burned car thread here on the forums and it was determined to be caused by a mechanic leaving a rag in the engine compartment. Has there been recent maintenance on the car? Maybe a mechanic left something loose.

I don't how you can leap to expecting Porsche to cover something when no cause has been determined (to my knowledge)... especially if it isn't under their warranty (see question 1 above). I know you are upset, but it would probably be prudent to wait for some facts to come to light before leaping to conclusions (unless you have them and didn't mention them yet).

Please let us know if you have or get more solid information. Sorry for you loss... she looked like a beauty!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire