Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 Carrera Base Piggy-Back Options (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1065190-991-2-carrera-base-piggy-back-options.html)

Aatish 04-23-2018 10:58 AM

991.2 Carrera Base Piggy-Back Options

Coming from my last car, this thing is a tad bit slower (lol, yes I know). So, until Cobb get's their AP sorted out without needing a physical ECU unlock (or if PTF takes my offer to them), I'm thinking of going the piggy back route. Dyno graph for this car looks very exciting, but rather would not get my ECU popped open again...
Found this piggyback; haven't really found any threads on it. Considering getting it for giggles. Thought I'd share:
https://tdi-tuning.com/car/porsche/9...uning-box-chip

Anyone have experience with piggy's on these cars? Read through a thread for the RennChip box...look involved, but not too bad.

reacher 04-23-2018 12:01 PM

After comparing a Dinan piggyback with a proper ECU tune on my X5M, I'm inclined to never do a piggyback again. It drove like crap with no low end power. I was worried about warranty and so on, but honestly it would have been better to just leave it stock than to do the piggyback IMHO. ECU tune or nothing.

Penn4S 04-23-2018 12:33 PM

I have had the Cobb in 2 different cars. It is worth the wait for ease of install and uninstall and for the work and research Cobb is putting into doing it right vs fast.

quattr0 04-23-2018 01:05 PM

I'm getting benched flash done soon so my DimSport piggy is for sale if you're interested. Gain is 35 whp with my own before/after dyno runs. Installation is 2 hours. PM if you're interested. I will let it go at reasonable price.

In case you haven't heard of DimSport, they're the company who provides tuning solutions to tuners.

reacher 04-23-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Penn4S (Post 14961426)
I have had the Cobb in 2 different cars. It is worth the wait for ease of install and uninstall and for the work and research Cobb is putting into doing it right vs fast.

I wouldn't place my bets on COBB having an OBDII-only solution for these cars. They have a solution coming out soon, but it requires you to pull the ECU and send it to them to unlock. For them to go to market with this solution indicates to me that doing it "right" is much more complicated than it used to be, and that they probably aren't anywhere close to being able to do it any other way.

Mark Jolley 04-23-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by reacher (Post 14961952)
I wouldn't place my bets on COBB having an OBDII-only solution for these cars. They have a solution coming out soon, but it requires you to pull the ECU and send it to them to unlock. For them to go to market with this solution indicates to me that doing it "right" is much more complicated than it used to be, and that they probably aren't anywhere close to being able to do it any other way.

If bootmod3 can do it for the M4, I can't see why COBB won't be able to do it. They are both German ECU's most likely Bosch?

Aatish 04-23-2018 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by reacher (Post 14961344)
After comparing a Dinan piggyback with a proper ECU tune on my X5M, I'm inclined to never do a piggyback again. It drove like crap with no low end power. I was worried about warranty and so on, but honestly it would have been better to just leave it stock than to do the piggyback IMHO. ECU tune or nothing.

I ran a JB Stage 1 for a while, and was gonna go JB4. But ultimately went BM3, and have no regrets. I like what JB4 is; it's nice to just unplug some things and go back to stock. But agree that nothing beats a proper flash. Hopefully Porsche gets something like BM3 soon.

Aatish 04-23-2018 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Penn4S (Post 14961426)

I am hoping for something like Cobb AP or BM3. Offered my car to PTF for development, but they are really focused on the N55/S55/S63 engines at the moment. Maybe later...
Until then, Cobb is working on AP for the 991.2, but I'd rather pass on getting my ECU physically unlocked.

Aatish 04-23-2018 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by quattr0 (Post 14961521)
I'm getting benched flash done soon so my DimSport piggy is for sale if you're interested. Gain is 35 whp with my own before/after dyno runs. Installation is 2 hours. PM if you're interested. I will let it go at reasonable price.

In case you haven't heard of DimSport, they're the company who provides tuning solutions to tuners.

Hmmm. I'll have to do my HW on this, but I am intrigued. I'll get back to ya!

Aatish 04-23-2018 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jolley (Post 14962513)
If bootmod3 can do it for the M4, I can't see why COBB won't be able to do it. They are both German ECU's most likely Bosch?

BM3 was able to do it with the F-series platform cuz the boot loader was leaked by someone from the inside. I remember when that happened lol; all the tuners hopped on board. ProTuningFreak was one of the last to integrate it into their ecosystem, but man did they nail it.
Arguably my favorite platform. Really need to convince Dzenan to use my car for dev lol.

Aatish 04-23-2018 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by reacher (Post 14961952)

It'll definitely take some time...unless someone on the inside leaks the boot loader. I had my ECU unlocked to use BM3 on my 335 and I like that fact that I can switch back to stock without much drama. But, I'd much rather wait on a solution that doesn't involve me taking apart the car, physically crack open the computer, and then use jumper wires and problems to unlock.

go.illini 04-24-2018 12:50 AM

Not the kind of discussion I was expecting about piggybacking. Mildly disappointed.

_RS_ 04-24-2018 01:01 AM

Wow, you country folks :rolleyes:

RRDnA 04-24-2018 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Jolley (Post 14962513)

Siemens.

Penn4S 04-24-2018 06:31 AM

After having other tunes and now 2 Cobb AP's I would wait for Cobb. They will figure it out and the AP is the way to go for quality and ease. Tuners have been cracking the codes on Pcars for a long time. Reach out to Cobb and see if they have timing. I find them very responsive.
I did the ECU tune and PDK Upgrade, both worth it and car runs like stock only quicker and with GT3 type shifting.
Just not worth screwing with the ECU unless the gains are there. 30-35 hp is not worth it. You should get more on a proper turbo tune.