Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, options that matter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 GTS, options that matter??

Hey all, soon to be new 911 owner here. I've been shopping and test driving every variant of 911 I can get my hands on and I'm pretty much set between a 991.2 GTS or a 991.1 GT3 (I know, two totally different cars). I'm leaning more towards the GTS for the backseat so my daughters can enjoy the ride.

Came across a brand new '18 GTS in chalk at the dealer today that isn't even listed yet as someone ordered it and their financing fell though....doesnt even have a stock number yet....but they started the warranty on it already so getting it under sticker price.

I think it's pretty much what you guys would consider a stripped car option wise? Basically 2wd, 7 speed manual, GTS interior package, chalk exterior and the upgraded bose sound. That's it. No Rear steering or axle lift or any of that stuff.

Honestly, I feel like the standard GTS options SHOULD be enough, but not sure if theres something that is a NEED TO HAVE option with these cars.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that there are not many need to have options on these cars. I guess that comes down to personal preference.

My most important top 3 options are SPASM (so not the 0 cost PASM option most cars get ordered with), 18 way adaptive sport plus seats and the 90 liter fuel tank.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly, before you add anything to the car, any 911 is going to be brilliant. The “must haves” are almost all rather personal and depend on your use case.

PDK vs. Manual: Some like the connection and involvement of a manual, others prefer a modern powertrain for a modern car.
RAS: Definitely adds to the agility but it was an agile car to start with.
4WD: Ultimate traction but with a rear engine, there’s no lack of it with 2WD.
Axle lift: Depends on where you drive.

Probably the most important are the seats. Some swear by 18-way, others are only comfortable in 4-way. You’ll only find out with an extended drive.

Good thing is that the GTS comes with a raft of Porsche-chosen upgrades as standard, so even the “base” is pretty special.

There’s loads of stuff you can add on which “improves" some facet of the car but the actual driving experience is baked in and is only changed significantly by PDK, RAS and 4WD, IMHO.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:03 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Alright, thanks. I don't think I really care much about rear axle steering either way. It's nice to cut down turning radius, but I'm not skilled enough of a driver to probably notice in the canyons. Plus for sheer crazy factor, I've got a 700awhp R32 GTR.

The only thing this car doesn't have that I'd probably want are the 18 way seats. Something I can add in myself?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

What seats does it have? If it has the 4 way sport plus seats the seating/form is basically identical to the 18 ways. The 18 ways just have a little more adjustment options and inflatable seat and side bolsters. I would take some time to sit in them before I would make my decision.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

It has the 4 way, no heat. Honestly, I don't care about heat, comfort would be more of the concern. I'm a hot-natured person so I despise extra heat, haha
Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Options

I have a nicely spec'ed 2012 997 GTS with manual 6spd.. Here are options I love:

- dynamic headlights <-- just a super cool option I'm glad my car has.
- heated seats: a 911 cabin gets really cold or really hot, really fast depending on the weather. Heated seats is a must when its cold imo.
- manual 6spd <-- this is a lovely setup but so is PDK
- alcantara delete: ive sat and touched the alcantara finishes.. I just prefer leather sport seats, leather steering wheel, and leather shifter. Leather looks and feels better to me.
- full leather: this is just a really nice to have fine touch which I'd expect as standard on a car costing this much, im glad i have it.
- bose: I love the audio on my car. It can get so loud and clear, I'm sure leaving in full blast will harm hearing
- spasm: gives you lsd and lowers car. Can't say I see or notice any difference given I haven't tracked, but it's nice to know it's there.
- I have sport seats, and wonder if the adaptive seats would have been more enjoyable but the sport seats are quite comfy and supportive.

I don't have front axle lift, but wish I did since front will scrape on nearly any ramped driveway entrance. I wish they had a rear axle lift as the clearance back there is around 3 inches or less to oil pan which can easily hit and crack on certain speed bumps even if you're super careful.

the above are more niceties than must haves

Besides my 997, Ive driven the 991.1 GTS PDK. It was wonderously satisfying and fun. I'm sure the dot two takes it to the next level.

Have a great time with your choices and the car you coose.

Last edited by love2drive; 04-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

I don’t think SPASM gives you LSD, I am pretty sure they all have LSD (PTV). SPASM gives you an additional 1mm lowered height and sportier sway bars. So the basic comfort setting with SPASM is a bit sportier / stiffer than with PASM. I like the SPASM a lot for spirited driving. Suits the car very well imho.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The GTS comes with the "must haves" IMO standard. Unless the car has the standard suspension ordered, it should have SPASM already. My stripper has only sunroof, red seatbelts and heated seats. I would say go for it!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Yeah this one doesn't have sunroof, but it has the red belts and the GTS interior package with all of the lovely alcantara bits with red stitching.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I too didn't go with RWS, FAL, and Sport Chrono on my manual C2S. Just wanted a basic car with the least help from these extra options.

Here are a couple of really basic things I that would make life a littler easier and convenient:
1) Auto dimming rear view.
2) Heated and Cooled seats - Purely a regional thing
3) PDLS LED headlights - They are brighter. .

If you can't get any of these a stripper the GTS as it comes is a great package as is..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:34 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

++1 on auto dimming mirrors, of course, Porsche has this as an option where it really should be standard

Originally Posted by stephen k
I too didn't go with RWS, FAL, and Sport Chrono on my manual C2S. Just wanted a basic car with the least help from these extra options.
Here are a couple of really basic things I that would make life a littler easier and convenient:
1) Auto dimming rear view.
2) Heated and Cooled seats - Purely a regional thing
3) PDLS LED headlights - They are brighter. .

If you can't get any of these a stripper the GTS as it comes is a great package as is..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by eoddom
Hey all, soon to be new 911 owner here. I've been shopping and test driving every variant of 911 I can get my hands on and I'm pretty much set between a 991.2 GTS or a 991.1 GT3 (I know, two totally different cars). I'm leaning more towards the GTS for the backseat so my daughters can enjoy the ride.

Came across a brand new '18 GTS in chalk at the dealer today that isn't even listed yet as someone ordered it and their financing fell though....doesnt even have a stock number yet....but they started the warranty on it already so getting it under sticker price.

I think it's pretty much what you guys would consider a stripped car option wise? Basically 2wd, 7 speed manual, GTS interior package, chalk exterior and the upgraded bose sound. That's it. No Rear steering or axle lift or any of that stuff.

Honestly, I feel like the standard GTS options SHOULD be enough, but not sure if theres something that is a NEED TO HAVE option with these cars.

Thanks for the feedback.

There’s a few misconceptions in the replies above (some were fixed). The car comes with Sport Chrono and the rest of the Sport Package (exhaust etc.) You have SPASM, it needs to be deleted for the car to come without it. You have the PDLS (dynamic headlights), the car comes standard with it. The 4 way seats are excellent. In fact they are a little more comfortable in terms of padding due to the lack of motors. Theyre lighter, for exactly the same reason. Plenty of people love them, and if you don’t care for seat heating then it doesn’t matter. The car looks better without a sunroof (personal opinion).

The GTS comes with a lot of stuff standard, and it seems that the key items have been added on the build. You’re going to love it. Negotiate to a price that you’re comfortable with, and go for it.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:25 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

OP - sounds like you found a good one...This was my first P-car...and I have loved every minute (no RWS or FAL)...yes, I have minor scratches on the replacable front lip...but I drive my car...almost every day (except during really stupid NoVA winters). I went to vist my daughter in Charlottesville last weekend, came back via RTE 211 out of Luray (it crosses the Shennandoah National Forest)...I was fortunate...the only person on the road at that time...nothing crazy, just some spirited driving...the car did EVERYTHING I wanted it to do...you will not be disappointed. I am fortunate enough to have a wife that appreciates cars, and she even commented about how much fun that was...so, more to come. Here is my build (I didn't order, I found it on the showroom)...I honestly (at the time) didn't know what I wanted (other than a CAB or Targa)...I will tell you...I wouldn't change a thing.

Attached Images

Last edited by wes66vette; 04-23-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Remove PDF
Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a used '17 GTS that was as close to my custom build as I was going to find on the used market, so I jumped on it regardless of the features it didnt have.
My car was Miami Blue, GTS, Manual, White instruments with carbon fiber.

Essentially the exact look I wanted.

The only two features I still wished it had for DD purposes.
1. Porsche Entry and Drive
2. Lane change assist.

The multifunctional steering wheel would have been nice, but its not a game changer.
I have the 4 ways seats and thought I would want the 18 way. Couldn't care less. I love the 4 way seats. You wont need the 18.

The car came with PDCC which I wouldn't have spent money on myself.
The car also came with the LED PDLS+ which I wouldn't have normally bought, but definitely love how bright they are.

Good luck

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, options that matter??