Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, options that matter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Not sure how a Macan relates to a Porsche sports car at any level - radically different price points and radically different levels of performance - no point trying to conflate the two.
Not sure what your point is, if you slow down and re-read my post maybe you'll understand. The last comment, and the only one which references my Macan, is in reference to the GTS package itself and how it differentiates the other trims. It applies to any model.

But thanks for you input, you can sit down now.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM
eoddom
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets not hate on the Macan, I owned one and loved it.

Also, the GT3 sold today, so that's that.

Found a few used 991.1 GTS with some nice options, now I have to decide between the NA or the Turbo 3L.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM
jerryzaiden
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

If you can afford it I would most definitely want a 991.2 GTS over a 991.1

Where are you located?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:03 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by eoddom
So really the dilemma is....

2015 GT3 in GT silver with 33K miles for 118K

Or

2018 GTS in Chalk with MT for 125K
Do you need rear seats or not?

If yes GTS is the only way to go in order to keep reasonable cost. Turbo and Turbo S is another league.

If no then you can consider a GT3 car.

I took the decision to go with GTS Coupe as I need definitely rear seats and as Turbo engine is more future friendly than NA in Europe. Very high emmisions in NA cars might lead to quite high operation cost after a few years.

As I had an allocation I spend many hours reading here and get feedback from experience Porsche owners.
My rule was to focus on driving pleasure and performance instead of luxury. I consider 911 as a sports car and if I would like to buy a luxury car it might be Panamera or another brand.
I chose RAS as my dealer explain me this is a unique system make the car very easy to drive both in low speeds but also in high speeds. 911s are totally different behaviour driving cars than front engine or mid engine cars and RAS helps a lot.
I chose LWBs because the car will be weekend car only and the feeling of LWBs is amazing.
I chose very basic options in order to keep low price but also have the car specs as basic as possible.

I rejected PCCBs as I consider GTS Brakes enough for the use I plan for my car.
I rejected any leather interior as the LWBs with Alcantara will be fine.
I rejected FAL and this is the only option I am not sure I took the right decision. I have study a lot and as the car will not be daily so decided that I do not need the FAL complexity and extra weight
No sunroof and extra Audio systems. I prefer to focus on noise engine.

In any case I learned that you cannot go wrong with any 911 therefore it's up to you how are you going to proceed.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 PM
eoddom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jerryzaiden
If you can afford it I would most definitely want a 991.2 GTS over a 991.1

Where are you located?
I'm down in the Temecula area.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 PM
jerryzaiden
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

I recommend you go to the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach and ask for Garrek CHi. He was great to deal with from my shoppind NO ONE was able to compete with their pricing. I paid $118k for a 2017 GTS with 2600 mi. They also have plenty of turnovers with Newport beach customers who keep cars 3-6 months.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer story definitely sounds fishy. Probably nothing wrong with the car but there's definitely another reason why the warranty was started. Just FYI, when i was shopping between dealers a few months back, I heard quite a few "oh seller backed off because finance didn't go through" stories for different dealers
Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Yeah I'm hearing alot of stories on different cars.

https://porschesouthbay.com/inventor...tallic+1207101

That one for instance, actually has about 4k miles on it and it's an executives car. They'll sell it, but they told me to make an offer. Don't even know where to start on price.

As it becomes more and more apparent that if I want a 991.2 GTS the way I want, I'm going to have to pay more, I can really get a nicely loaded GT3 for the same price, hah.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah I'm hearing alot of stories on different cars.

https://porschesouthbay.com/inventor...tallic+1207101

That one for instance, actually has about 4k miles on it and it's an executives car. They'll sell it, but they told me to make an offer. Don't even know where to start on price.

As it becomes more and more apparent that if I want a 991.2 GTS the way I want, I'm going to have to pay more, I can really get a nicely loaded GT3 for the same price, hah.
The GT3 is a fantastic value, especially a used 991.1 GT3. I'm paying a lot more for my new 991.2 GT3 than I sold my 991.1 GT3 for, hopefully it'll be worth it. 😬

The GTS price can very quickly spiral out of control with options, and you need to figure out what's worth it for you and what isn't. My 991.2 GTS cab was $163k, and I'm kind of happy that I didn't order it myself because I would have added even more options and made it too expensive for what it is. I pretty much fully loaded my 991.2 GT3, and it ended up at $183k. When I priced the GTS in the configurator with the options I wanted, it was more than that.

I think I ended up at a happy medium with my GTS, it has everything I really need. Either way you go, GTS or GT3, you'll get an incredible car.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:14 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

I wish I could get a new GT3, but this being my first Porsche, no way a dealer is giving me an allocation, hah. That'd be worth the extra money.

And yeah, I've found some pretty good deals in the GT3 world. Theres a nicely loaded '16 with ~4k miles for 150K that I saw the other day. Looking at a few others with higher mileage (20-30K miles) in the 120s.

Then there's the battle between the 991.1 gts and 991.2 gts, the former being much easier to find private party.

Really, I wish I could get a 991 turbo with a GTS interior, really it's the alcantara I'm in love with. The push of the turbo cars sure is intoxicating though.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish I could get a new GT3, but this being my first Porsche, no way a dealer is giving me an allocation, hah. That'd be worth the extra money.

And yeah, I've found some pretty good deals in the GT3 world. Theres a nicely loaded '16 with ~4k miles for 150K that I saw the other day. Looking at a few others with higher mileage (20-30K miles) in the 120s.

Then there's the battle between the 991.1 gts and 991.2 gts, the former being much easier to find private party.

Really, I wish I could get a 991 turbo with a GTS interior, really it's the alcantara I'm in love with. The push of the turbo cars sure is intoxicating though.
I love the alcantara! That's one of the big pluses of the GT3 and GTS. If you want a turbo, get the 991.2 GTS and tune it. Mine with a tune feels faster and more fun than the 991.2 Turbo I test drove. With just an ECU tune you'll be at Turbo power levels with less weight and 2WD. And alcantara. ☺️

I personally wouldn't get a 991.1 GTS. If you want the naturally aspirated experience and you can afford a GT3, get the GT3. The 991.1 GTS doesn't compare. The 991.2 GTS on the other hand is a totally different beast, and ticks completely different boxes. It really comes down to which one scratches your current itch or fills your current needs, and which one is available.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reacher
Personally I wouldn't buy a car without RAS, that's a must have for me. It really transforms the driving experience in a way that can't be described, and I'm a total convert. To me, not having RAS is a deal breaker.

I also have PDCC in my car, which I'm extremely happy with. If I were to spec another car, I would spec it every single time. That may just be a "nice to have" option, though.

Other things I wouldn't buy a car without is Porsche entry and drive, auto dimming mirrors, upgraded stereo, and leather dash. PCCB is nice and I would spec it, but it's not a must. My car only has PASM (it's a cab) and not SPASM, so I'm not sure sure if FAL is a must on SPASM or not. It's definitely not needed at all on my PASM car, but I specced it on my GT3 since it's a must have on that car.
+1 on PDCC I took my car out on track and thought it was broken. Then I looked down to see that I didn’t activated it. Big difference on track and an option very few get.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 AM
basic666
Racer

I think when it comes down to it at end of the day, it has very much to do with how you plan to use your car. I had similar dilemmas before ordering a .2 GTS

Do you want to be able to take your entire family (including your kids before age of 10 or whenever they grow too tall for the back seats) to a road trip?

Or do you want a hardcore fun car for the streets, all to yourself?

I think the back seats ultimately swayed me over to the GTS. The world's most practical sport car is what 911s are all about after all

I optioned my car pretty similar to your description, after my discount it came out to be similar if not lower than a used GT3

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJFNJ73
Old 04-26-2018, 02:02 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Yeah I'd love to order a car but I'm really trying to avoid the dealer. Joys of being in a cash business, yanno.

The back seat thing is the one thing keeping the GTS in the running. Have a 2 little girls and would like to be able to take them out from time to time in it.

I think I'm just going to take a breather for a few weeks until after I get back from Tokyo and hope that some new options present themselves to me.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:17 AM
basic666
Racer

i always wanted to show up at a dealer with a suitcase of cash... but if you do end up working with a dealer for whatever reason, try porsche fresno. they have been the most straight forward people to work with by far, especially when compared to all the other bay area dealers i spoke with

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, options that matter??