991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, options that matter??

Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Get it if you like it. More drivable in slow n go than GT3. I have had both. Current GTS. Sunroof delete.
If priced right then enjoy.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT3>GTS. Don't go for that particular GTS. Dealer is lying to you, it seems.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eoddom
Hey all, soon to be new 911 owner here. I've been shopping and test driving every variant of 911 I can get my hands on and I'm pretty much set between a 991.2 GTS or a 991.1 GT3 (I know, two totally different cars). I'm leaning more towards the GTS for the backseat so my daughters can enjoy the ride.

Came across a brand new '18 GTS in chalk at the dealer today that isn't even listed yet as someone ordered it and their financing fell though....doesnt even have a stock number yet....but they started the warranty on it already so getting it under sticker price.

I think it's pretty much what you guys would consider a stripped car option wise? Basically 2wd, 7 speed manual, GTS interior package, chalk exterior and the upgraded bose sound. That's it. No Rear steering or axle lift or any of that stuff.

Honestly, I feel like the standard GTS options SHOULD be enough, but not sure if theres something that is a NEED TO HAVE option with these cars.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Get leather and delete Alcantara unless its your thing - I think it does not wear well
-14 way are plenty adjustable, very supportive, very comfortable and don’t have that cheap looking plastic shell that costs another
$1800 to cover in leather that’s standard on a 14 way with leather interior
-Ventilated seats - makes driving with windows and sunroof open in warm weather more comfy without running A/C
-FAL - use it a lot more than I thought I would and has saved quite a bit of front end rash already
-RWS awesome handling, but very useful for parking and tight maneuvering - really reduces low speed turn radius
-Don’t bother with Bose or Burmeister - car is too loud if your having fun to appreciate and for the time you drone at freeway speeds where its quiet enough to listen standard is probably fine

Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I wouldn't buy a car without RAS, that's a must have for me. It really transforms the driving experience in a way that can't be described, and I'm a total convert. To me, not having RAS is a deal breaker.

I also have PDCC in my car, which I'm extremely happy with. If I were to spec another car, I would spec it every single time. That may just be a "nice to have" option, though.

Other things I wouldn't buy a car without is Porsche entry and drive, auto dimming mirrors, upgraded stereo, and leather dash. PCCB is nice and I would spec it, but it's not a must. My car only has PASM (it's a cab) and not SPASM, so I'm not sure sure if FAL is a must on SPASM or not. It's definitely not needed at all on my PASM car, but I specced it on my GT3 since it's a must have on that car.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:06 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
GT3>GTS. Don't go for that particular GTS. Dealer is lying to you, it seems.
Curious why you say they are lying? The car was bought, done deal, and at the last minute the financing backed up. They had already started the warranty. Car doesnt have a stock number, not on their site, etc. Basically knocked 8k off the price instantly because of the previous deal falling through. So I can either take it, or I can wait and find a used one. As it sits right now, this ones only 127K brand new.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to cast a feeler out first to see if I can find any used 991.2 GTS cars for sale before going through the dealer, there's no rush here.

In regards to RAS, I have it in my Q7, it's great for parking, u-turns, etc but really in a sports car I'm okay with NOT having it. I actually deleted HICAS in the R32 just so I don't have to deal with it.

If anyone knows of someone selling a 991.2 GTS (or one of you wants to sell me theirs for <130K), let me know! haha.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Lightbulb

In regards to RAS, I have it in my Q7, it's great for parking, u-turns, etc but really in a sports car I'm okay with NOT having it. I actually deleted HICAS in the R32 just so I don't have to deal with it.
Thanks
RAS (is a performance option e.g. GT3) and is a game changer if you push your car hard - it effectively increases the wheelbase by about 20 inches - it also has the added benefit of reducing the turning circle at low speeds.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are long and high speed corners that I am constantly able to take going 20-30 mph faster comfortably w/ RAS... Compared to a base w/o RAS.

FAL.. Front axle lift is a game changer for me. It does more than just clear parking curbs and steep driveways, mentally makes my drive much more relaxing which goes a long way for me.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:21 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to cast a feeler out first to see if I can find any used 991.2 GTS cars for sale before going through the dealer, there's no rush here.

If anyone knows of someone selling a 991.2 GTS (or one of you wants to sell me theirs for <130K), let me know! haha.

Thanks
RAS in a Porsche has little to do with parking and U turns. That's a nice bonus, but the biggest benefit is how it transforms the way the car handles turns at speed. I don't care how the car handles in a parking lot, but compare a RAS equipped car to a non-RAS car on a twisty back road and you'll see what a game changer it is. I wouldn't say it was a deal breaker if I wasn't beyond impressed with how well it works.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:04 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious why you say they are lying? The car was bought, done deal, and at the last minute the financing backed up. They had already started the warranty. Car doesnt have a stock number, not on their site, etc. Basically knocked 8k off the price instantly because of the previous deal falling through. So I can either take it, or I can wait and find a used one. As it sits right now, this ones only 127K brand new.

Thanks.

it also strkes me as me as a bit odd that the warranty started even before financing was finalized. That doesn’t make sense. You don’t own the car until you pay for it. So would you technically be the second owner? There’s probably absolutely nothing wrong with the car but I just hate shady dealer stories about how a car came to be on their lot. How many miles are on it? Since you would be a second owner I would probably seek a bigger discount.

As to to your original question I had a 2017 GTS PDK with nearly every option $168k sticker. The only one that wascompletely useless was “light design package”. I probably would have skipped PDCC as well. The difference was not dramatic enough to justify the cost. If there are specific options you want an opinion on, let me know.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, it sounds like the GTS is the right car for you, considering your need for a back seat, but since you mentioned shopping a GT3 as well, I would just make sure you give it some serious thought. I sold my 991.2 GTS after six months because I realized I had bought the wrong car. Now I’m awaiting my .2 GT3.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey all, soon to be new 911 owner here. I've been shopping and test driving every variant of 911 I can get my hands on and I'm pretty much set between a 991.2 GTS or a 991.1 GT3 (I know, two totally different cars). I'm leaning more towards the GTS for the backseat so my daughters can enjoy the ride.

Came across a brand new '18 GTS in chalk at the dealer today that isn't even listed yet as someone ordered it and their financing fell though....doesnt even have a stock number yet....but they started the warranty on it already so getting it under sticker price.

I think it's pretty much what you guys would consider a stripped car option wise? Basically 2wd, 7 speed manual, GTS interior package, chalk exterior and the upgraded bose sound. That's it. No Rear steering or axle lift or any of that stuff.

Honestly, I feel like the standard GTS options SHOULD be enough, but not sure if theres something that is a NEED TO HAVE option with these cars.

Thanks for the feedback.
For options on my GTS, I added:
  • Sapphire Blue
  • Leather interior in black
  • Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
  • Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof
  • 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  • Power Steering Plus
  • PDCC with PASM Sport Suspension i.c.w. Rear Axle Steering
  • Rear Axle Steering
  • Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
  • Deletion of Alcantara®
  • Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
  • Smoking Package (for the additional outlet)
  • Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
  • Interior Trim Painted in Exterior Color i.c.w. Leather Interior
  • Seat Belts in Silver Grey
  • Extended Deviated Stitching Interior Package (deviated stitching - GT Silver)
  • Porsche Crest on Headrests
  • Door Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
  • Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
None of which were a "need to have." I have strong reasons for selecting these (and cut out a few more nice to haves to keep the cost down). But truly, none were a "need to have."
Old 04-24-2018, 11:36 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still looks like the car above was pricey ^.
But to each their own. That's why the build works for some. I have had three factory builds but everyone has different opinions.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:44 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Yeah, I see some of these build sheets, let me mention that I really dont want to spend much more than ~130K and any of the luxury or comfort options are moot for me since I have a fully loaded Q7 for a daily.

Still going to give it a few days to see if I can find any good private party used deals pop up.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Still looks like the car above was pricey ^.
But to each their own. That's why the build works for some. I have had three factory builds but everyone has different opinions.
I had different builds with different MSRPs for the two previous 991.1S's that I owned. This one has a lot of options but it is EXACTLY as I wanted it and I hope to keep if for a very long time. Puts a smile on my face, everythime I drive it.

BTW, even a GTS isn't necessarily a "need to have" to some extent. The base Carrera has more performance than most people will ever use on the street. I don't track my car but I do autocross so I wanted RAS, etc. I like the feel of PCCBs and the lack of brake dust is fantastic.

I go on a lot of road trips, too, so the Burmeister and the interior touches like extended leather w/ deviated stitching and the painted interior/GT silver seatbelts were a nice touch. The adaptive cruise control is awesome on the highway, especially with moderate traffic.

In the end, get what makes you happy, within your budget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, options that matter??