Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, love that GTS with the Aerokit!!! and 8 way seats, sweet. When i purchased my 15 GTS, it came with the Alcantara, which I didn't want, but guess what, i absolutely love em now. I wish I had the AeroKit rear spoiler, I have been thinking about adding. I have the same color, Agate Grey, just beautiful.

Sounds like the "fun" factor will be best with the PDK GTS aye?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

OP - great progress! The .1 GTS is a very special car but I'm obviously biased.
Acceleration and smooth, quieter cabin go in favor of the .2.
The GTS will be more fun if you place a premium on the NA engine and wonderful sounds it makes. I'm no fan of the turbo engines, that's well documented though the .2 sounds infinitely better than the twin turbo BMW that is a part of our family stable.
Best of luck with the selection process and the good news here is that you'll be getting a 911!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:09 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Drove the 991.2 this afternoon, it is manual transmission and I did not feel very comfortable with that as I have not driven manuals for almost 15 years, I did fine but was thinking about the shifting more than I want to. I would have to say though the clutch was light and the 7 speed manual shifted flawlessly and felt great, I cannot recall the manuals that I have driven before were as good as this one. The car was more quite and felt smoother than the 991.1 GTS, however I enjoyed driving the GTS more and it felt more powerful to me. The GTS has nicer finish and a glass roof with sunroof, the 911 S has the tin roof and no sunroof, but it has the cooled seat feature (perforated leather) while the GTS has only the heated seats (Alcantara). Test drives was mostly on freeways and I did punch both cars.

Below are the options packages for each car

Base - 2015 911 Carrera GTS
027 - Instrument Dials In Carmine Red
088 - GTS Interior Package
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 - 20" Carrera S Wheels
581 - Luggage Net In Passenger Footwell
583 - Smoking Package
638 - ParkAssist (Front And Rear) With Reversing Camera
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof In Glass
840 - SportDesign Steering Wheel
GQ - Black Leather Interior Incl. Alcantara GTS Package In Carmine Red
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) With Memory Package
P3H - BOSE Audio Package
P3J - Premium Package Plus I.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way W/ Alcantara)
XAA - Aerokit Cup
XAJ - Side Skirts Painted
XD9 - Wheels Painted In Exterior Color I.c.w. Carrera S Wheels
XES - Preparation Door-sill Guards, Illuminated
XHM - Center Console Trim In Carbon Fiber
XNS - Steering Column Casing In Leather
XUB - Headlight Cleaning System Covers In Exterior Color
XXB - Door-Sill Guards In Stainless Steel, Illuminated
XXG - Clear Glass Taillights

And for 2017 911 S
Seat heating (front)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Roof Transport System
Smoking package
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Porsche Entry & Drive
Power Steering Plus
Model Designation "911"
Two-tone leather interior
9VJ
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
BT
Leather Interior in Black/Luxor Beige
CXM
Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather
EKC
Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
N5
Night Blue Metallic
P3P
Sport Package
QH1
Voice Control
XFJ
Instrument dials in White
XGM
Sport Chrono Clock Dial in White
XRD
20" Carrera Sport Wheels
XUB
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
XXP
Tinted Taillights
XYB
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish

Each car has it pros and cons, and at this time I am leaning more towards the GTS (better color and interior), but will give it a final thought this evening, I should have one of them in my garage this coming weekend.
Tough call so good luck. The GTS is sweet as long as you are OK with the PDK, alcantara and the clear taillights (well that can be changed). Hopefully the alcantara is still in good shape.
The 991.2S is good as it is a MT and has the sports package but no sunroof. The beige interior IMO is also fairly hideous.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the GTS of the two. The beige interior would be a no go for me.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice problem to have 😊

MAke sure to ride in a car with SPASM in the .1

It was too lowered feeling for me preferred the pasm only in .1 but loved it in the .2
Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Oh and beige is definitely a deal breaker. And could hurt resale.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:40 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Both are fine cars, it's just matter of taste. I'm in the camp that sports cars should have NA engine. Even though new .2 engine is great, it's power delivery and sound lack some drama. Of course NA engine lacks low end torque. I own 16 gts with SPASM and yes ride is not great on rough sections. .2 rides better which is my favorite feature of .2s.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

And the winner is???
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so far the winner is GTS but I may change my mind depending on the best deal I can get, I will start with the GTS and see if the dealer is willing to negotiate,
Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike

So the plot thickens. I would go .2 manual over .1pdk but it’s soooo close.
I do not own a 911 (about to buy a Panamera), but allow me to jump in on the overall issue of manual vs. pdk. This is all MHO, of course but, as I look at it, a car has become one of man's highest expressions of technological achievements. With very few exceptions, each new model is better than the last from a performance perspective. I lived for years with a manual 330Ci. When I understood what tiptronic, or pdk (or whatever the nomenclature) allowed for--transmission control ON DEMAND--it was a no-brainer, especially when I realized that all F1 and WRC cars had made the switch, too. Seriously, I just don't understand why some people wax nostalgic over manual transmissions, car journalists being the worst offenders. No one--NO ONE--can drive a manual car faster or better than its paddle-shift sibling. And to drop serious money on a sports car with a manual in order to feed that fantasy? Risible, IMHO, anyway. I know we all harbor fantasies that are neatly wrapped up in our toys. But let's also live a little in the real world of highways and traffic jams. Rowing through the transmission in stop and go--I'd rather roll around naked in a bale of fiberglass. And dropping down a gear to get maximum torque or to slow down as I hit a corner--that left paddle is going to do it faster and just as satisfyingly. Buy the better car.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:45 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
I do not own a 911 (about to buy a Panamera), but allow me to jump in on the overall issue of manual vs. pdk. This is all MHO, of course but, as I look at it, a car has become one of man's highest expressions of technological achievements. With very few exceptions, each new model is better than the last from a performance perspective. I lived for years with a manual 330Ci. When I understood what tiptronic, or pdk (or whatever the nomenclature) allowed for--transmission control ON DEMAND--it was a no-brainer, especially when I realized that all F1 and WRC cars had made the switch, too. Seriously, I just don't understand why some people wax nostalgic over manual transmissions, car journalists being the worst offenders. No one--NO ONE--can drive a manual car faster or better than its paddle-shift sibling. And to drop serious money on a sports car with a manual in order to feed that fantasy? Risible, IMHO, anyway. I know we all harbor fantasies that are neatly wrapped up in our toys. But let's also live a little in the real world of highways and traffic jams. Rowing through the transmission in stop and go--I'd rather roll around naked in a bale of fiberglass. And dropping down a gear to get maximum torque or to slow down as I hit a corner--that left paddle is going to do it faster and just as satisfyingly. Buy the better car.
I got my driver's license with the manual LOL. I learned driving with manual transmission and it's more involving to drive and fun. It's about involvement and having fun not about technology or how fast you go. Yes, I own PDKed 911 and it's a great transmission but I miss manual 911.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ddolbi
I got my driver's license with the manual LOL. I learned driving with manual transmission and it's more involving to drive and fun. It's about involvement and having fun not about technology or how fast you go. Yes, I own PDKed 911 and it's a great transmission but I miss manual 911.
I hear you. And in rereading my post maybe I was a little TOO opinionated even if it was in a humble guise. I hear what you say re involvement but real world driving beat that outta me real quick in my 330Ci. The kicker is, pdk allows the same involvement, the same control, albeit without reaching down or pushing with my left foot. I still get to decide when I want more torque and I still get to slow the car with a whine and crackle as I dart into a corner. And it's faster. And I feel like I'm Jenson Button.

Quick Reply: 15 GTS or 17 S