Sponsored by:

PPF and Porsche Warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Default PPF and Porsche Warranty.

Does anyone have written confirmation from Porsche that car warranty is valid after PPF installation?

It seems there are cases that dealers does not accept warranty claims related to PPF installation such as door handles, noises and tricks, electrical issues, paint and body corrosion etc.

In case of Full PPF the car needs to be striped therefore Porsche has right to cancel the warranty???
Old 04-17-2018, 07:44 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

My dealer had their guy who is an independent contractor install the PPF. I paid the dealer when I bought the car. They had already paid the installer. Cant imagine I would have any warranty issue but never even considered this before reading your post.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Have any references of such cases?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

It seems?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Let's assume that I take my brand new Porsche deliver to an official PPF installer for full PPF.

This means headlights out, bumbers unscrew, door handles removal and PPF on top of the paint.

1 year later I have PDLS malfunction, door open malfunction and color corrosion.

I am not sure my dealer will cover the issues under warranty or at least it is up to him to cover therefore I rely on him and not on the official Porsche warranty.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Let's assume thousands of people have done exactly that and had one of those issues. I don't remember anyone posting a warranty problem about it.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Let's assume thousands of people have done exactly that and had one of those issues. I don't remember anyone posting a warranty problem about it.
Sure, I do not want to create any negative voices about PPF. I am asking if there is any official directive from Porsche or even from the PPF mother companies.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I have never heard of this once. Ever.

You're way overthinking this.

You have the right, by law, to have anyone work in your car. Dealer must prove that the third part caused the issue. Now, if you go in for a rattling door handle and your dealer says "it was removed and reinstalled incorrectly during PPF install", they can make that case. You can argue it. There's always a risk.

But again, way overthinking this.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Like mentioned the dealers themselves are happy to call in and take a cut from the guy with the pickup that will come by and do it before they give you the keys.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Let's assume that I take my brand new Porsche deliver to an official PPF installer for full PPF.

This means headlights out, bumbers unscrew, door handles removal and PPF on top of the paint.

1 year later I have PDLS malfunction, door open malfunction and color corrosion.

I am not sure my dealer will cover the issues under warranty or at least it is up to him to cover therefore I rely on him and not on the official Porsche warranty.
I did full PPF but I purposely had the installer stop short of pulling the bumpers, headlights, mirrors, door handles, etc. just because I was more worried about issues from those than I was going from 99.8% PPF coverage to 99.95% coverage. The only thing they removed where the side markers, the reflectors, and the rear license plate. They were careful to come right up to edges on these and did wrap the corners of every panel that would open (doors, hood, deck lid, spoiler, gas cap). I am very happy with this approach and no... you can't see the PPF edges unless you stick your face a foot or two away from the PPF since the PPF edge aligns with a panel edge anyway. It will also simplify repairs if those ever become needed.

I have zero worries about Porsche warranty since a direct cause and effect would have to be demonstrated. I guess if the clear coat came off or the paint failed in some way they would have an argument there, but that is not at all likely.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

OP, You should stay away from PPF IMO.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
OP, You should stay away from PPF IMO.
Stay away from PPF might be accepted.
Stay away from my new 911 is not accepted...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Stay away from PPF might be accepted.
Stay away from my new 911 is not accepted...
I would say most people here have some part of their cars covered and I've never heard one issue in my 18 months here. Enjoy your car Brother!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magnuson Moss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

They would need to prove that the PPF install was the reason for any of those problems and I would say unless you had paint removed during a PPF removal... it's going to be pretty hard. Any parts they remove to install anything were designed to be removed anyway and they are going to have answer why removing removable parts would violate a warranty.

Get the PPF if you want it. If you are that stressed, dont get it and get a respray in a couple of years.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely I will get the full PPF as I consider the advantages more than the disadvantages.

Just want to see other members feedback in case of any arguments related to warranty claims.

Quick Reply: PPF and Porsche Warranty.