Sponsored by:

No oil change in 5 years - walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
@OP: If you really want to buy the car (and it sounds like you do), send a sample of the oil to Blackstone (or similar lab) for analysis. If the sample results come back fine (as in the oil is within specification and there is no bad news items like excessive metals in the sample), then you should be able to make the purchase with a high level of confidence. If you want further peace of mind, have the car CPO'd. Whether you pay the cost of CPOing or have it deducted from the purchase price is a negotiation. But it sounds like there is potentially a deal to be done. Good luck.
Agree...buy the car if it is what you've been waiting for...ask them to CPO it IF you want further piece of mind. Otherwise sounds like maybe the owner fell ill and didn't get to drive the car in his later years especially if undergoing a terminal illness. Wife now has a Porsche she never will drive and wants to get some value from it via an estate sale thru the dealer or on percentage. Little risk IMHO other than to buy it and CPO it which will require the dealer to put new tires on it and service it and do the oil and fluids to meet the PCA CPO standards. Better win than a press car/launch car or one that had a questionable history off some lot somewhere.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default DEad Funny Ya'll

It was a little old ladies car, no wait it was a little old man who died. The poor widow did not know what to do so she searched us out and we agreed out of the goodness of our heart. It turns out the previous owner never drove the 400HP sports car over 55mph and did not really understand it would go fast.

All of the responses have assumed the dirt bag dealer is telling the truth. Just silly, this is...the car was purchased at auction with no records. It probably had the oil changed at another dealership of superlube but the current dealer has no way of knowing. They will CPO it because they will CPO almost anything. CPO means insurance. 99% of the time people who sell insurance win

Perform a PPI at an independent including a paint meter reading and if it passes then buy the car. Do not depend on anything a dealership tells you in relation to history, etc. CPO is just insurance and they are making a bet it cost you more than it will cost them. This is almost always the case.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
Let me make it easy for you. Give me the Widow's name and address and I will approach her with all of these comments. Maybe I can get a date.
FIFY.

For those scoring at home:

DON'T BUY IT: 9
BUY IT: 25
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

This thread is a Rennlist 991 forum instant classic -- dozens of guys pontificating about something they know absolutely nothing about.

(OP -- the car is fine. Buy it if you like it)
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-15-2019)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

OP:

i would buy it (but def negotiate the heck outta it) do an oil change and enjoy :-)

with about 6000 miles (10k km) you have nothing to worry about since is such low miles
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

FWIW:

6 years ago i was shopping for a 987.2S PDK SC. saw a car from an auction dealership- a low miles 2010, clean carfax. everything looks good on paper, did PPI found out that 3 panels (door side front and rear fender) been bonddo and repainted. So obviously a hard pass on it...(this is in SoCal)

2 mos later I saw the SAME car (same VIN) being offered in Oregon at a Porsche dealership as a CPO vehicle!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

I wonder if the buyer found out that the car have been in an accident.....who would he go after? the dealership, Porsche NA, or Carfax with their no accident guarantee.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they can still CPO a car that has had 3 panels or less worked on.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
Let me make it easy for you. Give me the Widow's name and address and I will approach her with all of these comments. Maybe I can get a better deal.
Best advice so far. Same thing happened to a home for sale next door. Widow sold the house just to get rid of it after her husband died. Took a 200k loss on the home. Fire sale.

I'm not advocating taking advantage of widows either...... but if a buyer and seller have a mutual interest that benefits both of them, then go for it.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a good price on the car you want, get it. If someone else buys it because you were waiting for a car forum to pontificate about oil you'll always regret it. And I mean... you asked a oil question in a car forum. You were never going to get a good answer anyway.

I've come to realize after reading all the questions about which 911 to get on this forum... the best 911 is the one you have. The one you dream/worry about will never be as the good as the one you wake up and just drive.
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-15-2019)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about "pontificating", but if I were looking for a car and asked questions about it, I'd like candid answers.

OP: if you're keeping the car only during the term of CPO warranty, f it - who cares about the oil as long as it's covered under warranty. If you want to keep it a long time post warranty - well there's a lot of good advice on this thread.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I think they can still CPO a car that has had 3 panels or less worked on.
really? didnt know that
Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
This thread is a Rennlist 991 forum instant classic -- dozens of guys pontificating about something they know absolutely nothing about.

(OP -- the car is fine. Buy it if you like it)
Isn’t that always the case?

As I said in my post, I’m no oil expert. I have no idea if the delay in changing the oil could cause an issue. That said, we know that oil change intervals are recommended based on time as well as mileage. I suspect that there’s a reason for this, beyond simply selling service at the dealership. I think it’s only prudent to have the car checked out prior to purchasing it, and to secure a warranty, as the OP has done to mitigate risk. In my opinion, pontificating about the engine being fine is no different than pontificating about the engine being potentially damaged. The only way to gain useful information is to discuss this with knowledge experts, and have the oil tested. This allows for an informed decision. My gut tells me that the engine is fine, but my head likes data.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm changing my vote to "maybe" from "walk". An intensive PPI is a must, and I'm assuming the dealer is being truthful. I know how hard it is to find the right car.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned 5 911's during the past 46 years, I can say these cars are practically indestructible given reasonable care . Most Porsche owners tend to be a bit **** when it comes to speculation on maintenance of their cars. Everyone's mind sees through a different prism based upon their own concepts, beliefs and life experience. All comments here derive from that and nobody is "wrong'. Just "biased" :-)) Just my .02 cents FWIW.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd buy it, at the right price. Just be aware that you'd need to do all the "catch up" maintenance, including PDK clutch fluid. You may also run into issues getting it back into service after sitting so long.

I'd be looking for some discount vs. bluebook given the lack of maintenance and driving.

Quick Reply: No oil change in 5 years - walk away?