Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers Fees

Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Harper Porsche, great family owned business who really cares about their customers.
Any dealer can" really care about there customers" the bottom line is always the bottom line. Dealer doesnt make enough money then he is not in business any more to care about his customers.

Doc fees in Connecticut are entirely up to the dealer they are not regulated
Old 04-13-2018, 12:05 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by *991*
Any dealer can" really care about there customers" the bottom line is always the bottom line. Dealer doesnt make enough money then he is not in business any more to care about his customers.

Doc fees in Connecticut are entirely up to the dealer they are not regulated
This!
At least around me dealers are well fed and don't bargain much.
Bottom line, fees are insignificant relative to the purchase price and both should be bargained but nothing beats saving $30k off the purchase price...then haggling over the $599 application.
#BecausePrinciples
Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Always negotiate out-the-door, never selling price.

If a deal is agreed upon, then all parties have gotten the deal they wanted, no matter where the money is distributed - with no surprises later on.

Doc fees are regulated by state laws. You'll always know which states are heavily influenced by dealer associations by the size of the doc fee.

And by the way, stories of getting doc fees removed are like wisdom tooth stories. Online, everyone portrays themselves as super-negotiators who have extraordinary powers of negotiation and got some deal that no one else could possibly negotiate. Likewise, as Brian Regan would say, never try to tell a wisdom tooth story... there is always some idiot who will tell you their wisdom tooth story is far more extreme than your wisdom tooth story.
I don't know how old this list is but an alarming number says "Has no cap on doc fees".

https://firstapprovalsource.com/doc-fees-by-state/
Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Like mentioned, negotiate OUT THE DOOR $$$.

Only way to get past the dealer BS.
When you do that, how do you know you are still not paying their fees? If you tell them you are negotiating out the door price, they're simply going to factor in their fees into that price. You're only going to get the car for what they are willing to sell it for. Sure you know in advance the final tally, but don't think that doesn't include some dealer fluff.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:54 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

If you really know the numbers of the deal (car price/MSRP) and your state sales tax and license/registration charges there can be nothing hidden or fluff. If ADM is charged than all bets are off. For someone to pay ADM and misc dealer overhead charges you are really getting hosed.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

I think we are getting confused on documentation fees based on our experiences and personal circumstances. Some of these fees are regulated by states and others by the dealerships. I've lived in 11 different states and bought new cars in 5 of them.

My current state (Delaware) does not have a sales tax but instead imposes what they call a documentation fee (to get around calling it a sales tax) on large purchase items. This is in addition to the small registration/title fee. This fee is totally outside of the control of dealership and is regulated by the state.

Other dealership sometimes charge what they call a documentation fee or a dealer prep fee. Regardless of what they call it, it is controlled by the dealership and is an unnecessary add-on that the dealer can waive. It's just extra profit for them and that is it. Dealerships should never "hide" this cost from you and you should never pay it. If they do hide this cost and then pop it on you at the end, they are being dishonest. Negotiate the out the door cost via a sales/purchase contract or buyers order. This will show the total cost that you are responsible for....NEVER pay these ridiculous add-on fees.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:27 PM
rwschill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does a lease deal change this process? I was thinking if I tell them what I will pay
per month and what I would put down up front if anything and length of lease I should be covered
the dealer can put the dollars in whatever pot they want. Does this approach make sense?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

Google your state and you will know for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealers Fees