Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:55 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

Bummer. It happened to my 2019 911 C2 GTS with PCCB today. I driver the car as often as I can and a gravel road did it today. Sigh.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I guess I'm lucky because after 25k miles on the car I never had this happen. However yesterday pulling out of parking lot I heard metal grind to find a rock had wedged itself in between the PCCB caliber causing scratches on the caliper and wheel...I revered and it fell out. I inspected all 4 wheels and found they all had some level of marking from this happening in the past. The clearance in the front is ridiculously small at like 1/4 inch...can't even stick my finger in between.

Seems like this is inevitable and now that there are scratches maybe I should just 'give up?' Seems like its bound to happen again even if wheels/caliper was replaced and I don't want aftermarket wheels.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Has this only been a problem with those that have PCCBs?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD
Has this only been a problem with those that have PCCBs?
Pretty much.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

I had 'rock sticks' in my S brake equipped 981 CS as well. Disconcerting the first time you hear it/fix it. Easy thereafter. I'll take the other 99.9% of the great driving/braking on the balance.

ß
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

My 2019 T with less than 500 miles on it. Both front wheels and calipers have scratch's. My T came with Michelin PS and what I think happens is at very slow speeds, 5 to 10 mph, at tight turns on a rock/stone graveled driveway the rocks get picked up by the semi gummy tires and then roll off with a tight turn onto the wheel barrel and end up getting jammed in between the caliper and wheel. I heard the sound of this happing the other day and took a look.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:04 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep looks similar to mine...

Its disappointing, but I think there's nothing that can be done... its going to get more I'm sure. Seems like just accepting it is the only solution.

I agree its from low speeds... I went through plenty of gravel before and never had a problem. Its when I was in parking lot and took a hard right turn after slowly crawling.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
The HRE P101 has very similar clearance as the Forgeline. So sounds like you took care of the problem before you had one
Can you please kindly advice what kind of specs we need to check in after market 20" wheels to make sure they improve the OEM clearance?

Only HRE P101 have the option for extra clearance or also the R101 LIGHTWEIGHT?
Any idea about BBS FI-R?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Pretty much.
Originally Posted by S S
I had 'rock sticks' in my S brake equipped 981 CS as well. Disconcerting the first time you hear it/fix it. Easy thereafter. I'll take the other 99.9% of the great driving/braking on the balance.

ß
I have had rocks rattle around in the wheels on my previous 991S with S brakes. *Didn’t look to see if they marked up the inside of the wheel, though, so I don’t know. *Made a hellacious racket.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Can you please kindly advice what kind of specs we need to check in after market 20" wheels to make sure they improve the OEM clearance?

Only HRE P101 have the option for extra clearance or also the R101 LIGHTWEIGHT?
Any idea about BBS FI-R?
My new wheels provide about 1/2” of clearance. OEM is less than 1/4”, more like 0.20” at the tightest place. I have about 3k miles on the car now and not a scratch on calipers or wheels anywhere. I think it is the very lightweight pebbles that cause the problem. Where I live the rural roads that are a lot of fun to drive are tar and rock chip pavement. And I believe it is the the very small and lightweight rock chips that get stuck and cause damage. The bigger stones deflect out I guess. Anyway, like I said, so far so good, and as an aside I like the Forgeline wheels better than the OEM’s anyway. I’m still baffled why Porsche couldn’t come up an adequate design there. Spending $8k for PCCB’s and then having to suffer through watching them get chewed up is unacceptable. I really like the brakes and would do it again now that the problem seems to have been fixed by the Forgelines, although I’m not particularly happy that the solution required more cash out of my wallet when Porsche could have made this a non issue from the get-go.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

Does anyone know if this happens for GT3 and GT3RS?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:49 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

My new wheels provide about 1/2” of clearance. OEM is less than 1/4”, more like 0.20” at the tightest place. I have about 3k miles on the car now and not a scratch on calipers or wheels anywhere. I think it is the very lightweight pebbles that cause the problem. Where I live the rural roads that are a lot of fun to drive are tar and rock chip pavement. And I believe it is the the very small and lightweight rock chips that get stuck and cause damage. The bigger stones deflect out I guess. Anyway, like I said, so far so good, and as an aside I like the Forgeline wheels better than the OEM’s anyway. I’m still baffled why Porsche couldn’t come up an adequate design there. Spending $8k for PCCB’s and then having to suffer through watching them get chewed up is unacceptable. I really like the brakes and would do it again now that the problem seems to have been fixed by the Forgelines, although I’m not particularly happy that the solution required more cash out of my wallet when Porsche could have made this a non issue from the get-go.
Thanks for the feedback. I have read carefully your thread and would like to know what makes Forgeline able to solve the problem? Are they assymetric inside the rim in the area where PCCB calipers are?

How can i measure or check if an after market wheel Will provide more clearance than OEM wheels?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Stout. I went round and round trying to select the wheel design, but I always came back to the VX1R’s. I’ll say it again, Forgeline is a fantastic company and their employees are very knowledgeable and helpful. Plus they are in my mom’s hometown, Dayton, OH.
Your car looks fantastic! Very glad you are happy. If you find yourself in town feel free to come say hello!

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Thanks for the feedback. I have read carefully your thread and would like to know what makes Forgeline able to solve the problem? Are they assymetric inside the rim in the area where PCCB calipers are?

How can i measure or check if an after market wheel Will provide more clearance than OEM wheels?
I contacted probably a half dozen wheel manufacturers in my quest to find a wheel with more clearance. One German wheel manufacturer said essentially ‘that dimension is proprietary and I can’t tell you how much clearance you’ll get but they meet blah blah spec and I am sure you understand’, or words to that effect. I didn’t understand and after a few email exchanges they were off the list. To make a long story short it came down to HRE and Forgeline, and Forgeline’s price and delivery time were the determining factor, along with their straight and fast answers to my questions. They even said in writing I’d have at least 1/2” of clearance. Bottom line is I did tons of homework before I decided who I’d use for the new wheels.

I’ll let Forgeline answer the question about the wheel geometry if they are inclined to do so. Cheers

Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your feedback.

Enjoy your car looks awasome.

Quick Reply: Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem