Sponsored by:

Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same happed to me

My 997.1 Turbo Came with Brembo GT 380 front and rear and on 19" wheels. Swapping for my alternate set of wheels today I found this only on the drivers rear. Had no idea what it was until a fellow member told me.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
There’s another thread on the problem, but basically I ordered and took delivery of a 2018 GTS in November. I ordered PCCB brakes. In the first 35 miles of ownership, the first drive after I got the keys, a small rock was caught between the left front caliper and wheel barrel and deeply gouged the caliper, so deep that it went through thick caliper paint (powder coat?) and into the aluminum of the caliper body. For a car of that cost I was livid. The dealer very nicely goodwilled a replacement caliper. I was pretty skittish, but decided to drive on. Then, in less than 200 additional miles, the right caliper was lightly chipped for the same reason, inadequate clearance between the caliper and wheel inner barrel. At that time I decided to park the car until I figured out a solution. Most Rennlisters were sympathetic, some said I was out of line for being pissed about the caliper damage, some said I was way too OCD for worrying about gouged and chipped calipers and wheels. I took a number of measurements and found that the clearance between the caliper and wheel barrel was around 0.223”. To me that was way too little and is a poor design. I even had a person associated with Porsche, on his own and without any input from me, say it is a poor design, that an owner should not expect that to happen, especially for a car that is driven only on the street.

Next I tried to come up with some fixes to the problem, rubber dams to stop the rock from getting in there to begin with, etc.. Each ‘solution’ like that had its own problem. So then I started looking for wheels that offered greater clearance. I talked to a number of wheel manufacturers, and honed in on HRE and Forgeline. Ultimately Forgeline offered the greatest clearance at about 0.500” (and the best price) so I made a deal with them and they offered to have them to me in less than a month at no additional charge for the expedited delivery. I dealt with Steve Schardt who was just super. I ordered their VX1R centerlock wheel, and sure enough I had them in less than a month. Once I received them I asked my Service Advisor when they could swap wheels and tires, sensors, etc, and he said what are you waiting for, bring your car in! So the same day I received the wheels they were installed and I was a happy camper.

Today, I reached the 1,000 mile mark with the Forgeline wheels. I am still a happy camper. Not a scratch anywhere on the front calipers, so I’d say problem solved. I love the look of the brakes as well as their performance. The downside is the additional expense of the wheels. Would I order PCCB’s again? Yes I would, but I’d budget a set of Forgelines as part of the deal and sell the OEM wheels as soon as I could. I have no clue why Porsche could not design a wheel similar to the Forgeline. How they expect 0.223” of clearance to be adequate is beyond me. Anyway, now I can drive on and not worry about my $160,000 car being needlessly dinged. YMMV

These wheels look awesome.

As I try to decide if I want to go CL or 5-lug w/my 991.2 GTS build, I've been shopping for aftermarket wheels to see what's out there.

Can you list the exact wheel and tire specs in those photos? Are they identical to the stock CL wheel (i.e. 12x20 ET63 305/30-20 and 9x20 ET51 245/35-20)? It looks a bit there's slightly more offset on the Forgelines than stock, but looks can be deceiving. Apologies if you've already posted this information - I looked but didn't see it.

Thanks and apologies, everyone, for awakening an old thread this way.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:51 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks! Here’s the specs from my invoice from Forgeline. I reused the tires that came on the car.

VX1R 20x9 +47 PORSCHE GT3 CENTERLOCK
VX1R 20x12 +57 PORSCHE GT3 CENTERLOCK

You are correct there is more offset with these wheels than OEM. If I was able to do it again I think I’d like the front wheels to poke out an additional 5-7mm. That said, I like the wheels a lot and get tons of compliments on them. Plus, after almost 3,000 miles, no rock damage

Last edited by flickroll; 11-30-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks! Here’s the specs from my invoice from Forgeline. I reused the tires that came on the car.

VX1R 20x9 +47 PORSCHE GT3 CENTERLOCK
VX1R 20x12 +57 PORSCHE GT3 CENTERLOCK

You are correct there is more offset with these wheels than OEM. If I was able to do it again I think I’d like the front wheels to poke out an additional 5-7mm. That said, I like the wheels a lot and get tons of compliments on them. Plus, after almost 3,000 miles, no rock damage
Thanks for looking that up.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Almost 4k miles on mine, several autocrosses and jaunts down dirt/gravel roads and no scoring on the inside of the wheel. YMMV.

(Not saying it couldn't happen to someone- just that mine are fine.) Your wheels still look awesome!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry for your trouble, however I did not get it. Rock coming into the caliper/wheel gap is only a probability game. 0.5" gap make it even more probable for the rocks flying in. Smaller rocks will sure pass and fly out, but what if a rock is about .5" and uneven shape. It may stuck over there causing even greater damage due to it's larger surface. I have stock PCCB calipers and stock rims. I do not see any damage after 20K miles.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Sorry for your trouble, however I did not get it. Rock coming into the caliper/wheel gap is only a probability game. 0.5" gap make it even more probable for the rocks flying in. Smaller rocks will sure pass and fly out, but what if a rock is about .5" and uneven shape. It may stuck over there causing even greater damage due to it's larger surface. I have stock PCCB calipers and stock rims. I do not see any damage after 20K miles.
I don’t understand what you don’t get. In less than 250 miles since new, I had 2 instances of caliper damage and wheel damage caused by small stones. I changed out to wheels with 1/2” clearance and almost 3,000 miles later no problems. Seems pretty simple to me. I do not want to get into a pissing match with anyone, I’m just relaying my experience which was fixed by different wheels. If your experience has been different then I am very happy for you. Perhaps the roads we drive on are of different construction, who knows. Cheers
Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Almost 4k miles on mine, several autocrosses and jaunts down dirt/gravel roads and no scoring on the inside of the wheel. YMMV.

(Not saying it couldn't happen to someone- just that mine are fine.) Your wheels still look awesome!
Thanks Hurricane!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:57 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

I don’t understand what you don’t get. In less than 250 miles since new, I had 2 instances of caliper damage and wheel damage caused by small stones. I changed out to wheels with 1/2” clearance and almost 3,000 miles later no problems. Seems pretty simple to me. I do not want to get into a pissing match with anyone, I’m just relaying my experience which was fixed by different wheels. If your experience has been different then I am very happy for you. Perhaps the roads we drive on are of different construction, who knows. Cheers
Hi flickroll,

I recall your experience with PCCBs and your valuable advice to me when I was weighing up whether to spec PCCBs on my Carrera T.

It will be interesting to see if Porsche have done anything to remedy the problem on the new 992 model.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 12-01-2018, 03:34 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

No offence meant, just coming from physics. I am happy you solved the issue.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:42 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
No offence meant, just coming from physics. I am happy you solved the issue.
I've been scratching my head as to why I had the problem; the problem does not seem widespread with 991.2/PCCB owners. The only thing I can come up with is road construction. I live in an area where the most rural roads are paved (if they are paved at all) with tar and rock cinders. The rock cinders seem to me to be just the size that could cause damage. I posted a picture recently showing my car parked by a very old Shell sign at a defunct gas station. Here it is again and the road you see is typical.

We have miles and miles of these roads in my home area which is foothills of the Blue Ridge mtns, and road construction and caliper problem aside, are an absolute blast to drive. However another negative of roads of this type construction is they are coarse which results in reduced tire mileage.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

sometimes it is just blind bad luck

in my case, if I did not have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all . . .
Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
sometimes it is just blind bad luck

in my case, if I did not have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all . . .
You drive a 911, so not all bad luck!
Old 12-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

I've been scratching my head as to why I had the problem; the problem does not seem widespread with 991.2/PCCB owners. The only thing I can come up with is road construction. I live in an area where the most rural roads are paved (if they are paved at all) with tar and rock cinders. The rock cinders seem to me to be just the size that could cause damage. I posted a picture recently showing my car parked by a very old Shell sign at a defunct gas station. Here it is again and the road you see is typical.

We have miles and miles of these roads in my home area which is foothills of the Blue Ridge mtns, and road construction and caliper problem aside, are an absolute blast to drive. However another negative of roads of this type construction is they are coarse which results in reduced tire mileage.
Nice pic and great road ahead! It's a shame that PCCB owners should be careful going there Hopefully construction effort will come to the end one day.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I couldn't find the pics when you were having the problem, but I saw this interesting solution on a racecar in Nissan's private museum in Japan a couple years ago. A carbon fiber blade mounted to the underside of the caliper and countoured to the shape of the wheel. But your new wheels are a much prettier solution.

Quick Reply: Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem