Sponsored by:

Will I love a T

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default Will I love a T

I'm on this simplify kick lately. I have this itch to get a car to drive mostly to and at the track. I have a GT3RS that I drive on track, I have a 964 build that is track oriented. But, those 2 cars are really more tow to the track and drive, load trailer, spare tires, gear, etc. I'm so busy lately I just want to wake up at 5am, hop in car, drive to track, do some laps, come home. Simplify.

I'm not a mid engine person, I like 911s. Had a GT4, didn't love it. I like manuals, don't want a PDK. And I don't really want something as high strung as a new GT3. I have some time on track in a 991RS and 991GT3 and well, they are not nearly as fun as either of my 2 cars (albeit stupid fast and capable)

What I'd order? A stripped in GT silver with buckets 911T. 0 option car. Add a harness/roll bar, belts, brake pads, and brake fluids and drive it to and at the track. Keep it simple. That's it.

I need to go drive a base manual this weekend and see if this is an itch i need to scratch. My biggest concern is I like cars a little hard edged, very direct, and very tossable.

This is my dilemma.

But I also know how substantially capable the new cars are.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

OH heres an offer. If there is a T owner here in SoCal that's willing to take me for a spin, i'll reciprocate with my 997RS... canyons required.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:45 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Good morning and welcome to the club.
We met at COTA a few years ago. I did include a few upgrades in the interior to make it look nice on my order. Tired of plastic look on my 6-3 and Cayenne. Hehe

my plan is same as yours, add roll bar , upgrade brakes, a tune, DSC box, brake cooling.
I am considering the FVD tune, has a nice curved and linear torque curve which is good for track. Not most hp but still gets to 460hp. Plenty with 440ftlb of torque.
Brakes, I already have Brembo 350mm floating rotors and hope they fit but need to add a dog bone. Did that on the 6-3 rear brakes as they are 330mm too.
Brake cooling ducts, still in research, there is a kit similar to the one that comes with the rear wheel steering option. GT3 front scoops.

For the 5-6 point, still need to cut and modify the seats like on theGT3.

My car arrives late june/ early July.

When will yours arrive
Tor
Old 04-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

^ ha.. yeah, i remember, I really need to get back to COTA. Tim keeps bugging me :-) I'd avoid mod city, for me, it's a never ending journey, i go full out, or nothing. See my 964 build for the insanity of that thing... lol. Our tracks here other than maybe auto club just aren't that hard on brakes like COTA, so wondering if stock brakes will be fine with proper pads, fluid. I am guessing they will be, porsche brakes are outstanding.

I haven't ordered one yet, but have a couple options for allocations that would put me right after summer heat in fall track season.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

For me the T only makes sense in stripper configuration. Otherwise it gets too close to a basic S build. Personally I'd rather have an S over LWB seats.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:29 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by go.illini
For me the T only makes sense in stripper configuration. Otherwise it gets too close to a basic S build. Personally I'd rather have an S over LWB seats.
i understand, and it will depend on use. For me, LWB, mechanical diff, shorter gear ratio and a few other items are a must for me. Can’t get those on the S without bunch of costly upgrades
Old 04-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

The mechanical diff and shorter ratios are standard on the S (free). Short shifter is a few hundred $ if you dyi. You cannot spec buckets on the S though.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:44 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

chris - i thought about this when they announced the car

problem with the T is that they saddled it with the weakest brakes in the range... and then is not materially lighter than a regular 991.2 carrera/s

the way we drive on track the stock brakes need to be upgraded immediately or the car will melt

then, to me, the fun of tracking a stick shift car is to have to have the skill/coordination to be in the right part of the rev band at the right time... T as turbo car, chipped, whatever, full torque off idle... why bother? just get a flappy paddle car then

i think the whole idea of the T is just marketing jibberish... not much substance
Old 04-07-2018, 05:16 PM
worldwidewebs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
problem with the T is that they saddled it with the weakest brakes in the range... and then is not materially lighter than a regular 991.2 carrera/s

the way we drive on track the stock brakes need to be upgraded immediately or the car will melt
Just a thought... Maybe you don't know how to brake properly on track. Most people don't
Old 04-07-2018, 05:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by worldwidewebs
Just a thought... Maybe you don't know how to brake properly on track. Most people don't
the sun is out and it is a weekend... no time nor energy for trolls
Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
I'm sorry, but you may not have been using the configurator lately...

I configured a Base and an S EXACTLY as my very well spec'd T. The Base came just under $4,200 BUT missing PTV, Limited Slip Diff, Sport PASM, Rear Axle Steering, LWG and a unique interior and model designation, which make the upgrade to the T well worth it.

Now, compared with the S, the S was over $12,000 more expensive than the T. And what you get for that? 40 HP (with additional turbo lag) and the upgraded brakes. For less than that you can get the Carbon Ceramic Brakes and a tune, and still have $3,000 left.

So I think there are noticeable price differences not only at the bare bones configuration price, but also at the high-end configuration trim spectrum.

Best thing you can do is configure all trim levels as you like, and then compare. These blanket statements about getting into another trim level pricing are a gross generalization. And if you want LWB, the next trim level that has them is the GT3...
Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
OH heres an offer. If there is a T owner here in SoCal that's willing to take me for a spin, i'll reciprocate with my 997RS... canyons required.
Spyerx,
If you want to, or ever find yourself, in Portland, OR... Let me know. I’ve got a GT silver 911T with LWBS you can have a spin in. No RAS. Pretty clean spec, but some cosmetic stuff. More details here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1058...911t-club.html
Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

OP. Get a T with buckets and rear axle steering, and buy the brembos in the parts section .. come with 2 sets of rotors. Should be a legit track weapon.

Did u see the youtube (sport auto) track battle video carrera T vs GT3 touring? They are very close.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:03 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Agree w all, would be better w GTS brakes.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to mention the tuning that can come out of the 3.0

You'd be able to create a lightweight 911 T that would school GT3's at the track and Turbo's at the drag strip with the right mods and tune.

Quick Reply: Will I love a T