Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I love a T

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Last edited by stout; 04-11-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Spyerx,
If you want to, or ever find yourself, in Portland, OR... Let me know. I’ve got a GT silver 911T with LWBS you can have a spin in. No RAS. Pretty clean spec, but some cosmetic stuff. More details here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1058...911t-club.html
Bummer. I'm sitting at PDX airport just leaving Portland after 3 days of Vacation. Would've loved to stop by to say hi and take a look at the T!

(Sorry for the off topics)

Last edited by jimmymoO; 04-07-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: N/A
Old 04-07-2018, 11:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
OP. Get a T with buckets and rear axle steering, and buy the brembos in the parts section .. come with 2 sets of rotors. Should be a legit track weapon.
Did u see the youtube (sport auto) track battle video carrera T vs GT3 touring? They are very close.
No rear steer for me if I can avoid it. I don't like the feel of it on track. It feels like an extra amount of rotation that is unnatural. GT3 has it, and first time I went into a low speed corner about 1.3G is scared crap out of me i though I lost the rear end (it stuck).

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Spyerx,
If you want to, or ever find yourself, in Portland, OR... Let me know. I’ve got a GT silver 911T with LWBS you can have a spin in. No RAS. Pretty clean spec, but some cosmetic stuff. More details here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1058...911t-club.html
That would b cool, i'm here every now and again for work but no trips planned currently.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
chris - i thought about this when they announced the car
problem with the T is that they saddled it with the weakest brakes in the range... and then is not materially lighter than a regular 991.2 carrera/s
the way we drive on track the stock brakes need to be upgraded immediately or the car will melt
then, to me, the fun of tracking a stick shift car is to have to have the skill/coordination to be in the right part of the rev band at the right time... T as turbo car, chipped, whatever, full torque off idle... why bother? just get a flappy paddle car then
i think the whole idea of the T is just marketing jibberish... not much substance
Valid points. I'm going to see if i can get over to the experience center this week and just try one, a base or even s manual. I went over to my local dealer and they only got a couple allocations for the T and they are gone, and no manual sports cars on the lot. a lotta macans tho!

However, Problem: Met up with Martin today and took his 991.2 GT3 manual for a spin down santiago canyon. Bastard. GOOD car. Substantially better chassis calibration than the 991.1, way better feel, way better steering feedback, and the motor, vroom vroom. The shifter and clutch, very nice, like a GT4. Downside: pulls like a freight train but without the drama and manic rush of a mezger. :-(

I'm so confused.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:19 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I was unsure like you. Tried to get the .2GT3, no luck. Then rethinking what I want to do. I’m tracking less these days.

The 6-3 is great on the track but hard around town. Feels great for first 15 minutes but then all the broken concrete, pot holes and sharp transition along seem, it’s a hard ride. Can’t really stretch its legs either as I’m near downtown Houston. Takes me 45 minutes to get to decent roads.

Although the 6-3 is great, im ready for something else and something I want to enjoy more. I think the T will be a great car to take anywhere at anytime, a good all rounder. On the track, may not win but there is no price money in DE. The T will be a lot cheaper to operate than a GT3. Don’t need 2-3 people to change wheels either. I considered the S and GTS, but price is high and does not have the good driver option like the T as I Really wanted the LWB. Yes, it won’t be a .2GT3 but still a good and special car. As a bonus, Porsche may have made less of the T than the .2GT3.

Also considered .1GT3 but hard to find one with LWB and steel brakes and decided against.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,745 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Why not a used base 991.1 C2?
Old 04-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I think a used C2 is a really really good option for the following reasons. 1. It's a fantastic car 2. That would be significantly cheaper leaving lots of budget for modification . 3. The allocation situation is terrible right now so you can actually get one.
Having said that, im not a motoring journalist and I never drove a c2 base and 911T manual back to back. However i did drive a gts and c2 base (both pdk) back to back on relatively short 15 minute drives. The elevated chassis and steering feel on the gts becomes immediately apparent once you step into a c2. The base handling seems less "capable" by comparison and it seems like you have to work much harder to place the car, constantly fighting the rear engine weight. I wouldnt decribe it as understeer, but more like noticeably extra effort. On the other hand, the c2 felt more eager, more zippy, and more planted. It has a much better pedal feel and honestly is more engaging than the bigger turbo setup, its instantaneous by comparison. Fantastic engine.
In the total 911 article where they did drive a c2 and 911T back to back they did note that the T is more focused and had some of that gts magic sauce, which i think has to do with how they ecu map the car and the chassis. The real question is, is it worth 30k over a used c2 base? It depends on too many things to say in 1 post. But i would imagine being able to spec the base engine with the gts chassis (minus pdcc) is going to fantastic for both road and track.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why not a used base 991.1 C2?
Because I don't want a used base 991.1 C2, misses the point.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:52 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Valid points. I'm going to see if i can get over to the experience center this week and just try one, a base or even s manual. I went over to my local dealer and they only got a couple allocations for the T and they are gone, and no manual sports cars on the lot. a lotta macans tho!

However, Problem: Met up with Martin today and took his 991.2 GT3 manual for a spin down santiago canyon. Bastard. GOOD car. Substantially better chassis calibration than the 991.1, way better feel, way better steering feedback, and the motor, vroom vroom. The shifter and clutch, very nice, like a GT4. Downside: pulls like a freight train but without the drama and manic rush of a mezger. :-(

I'm so confused.
My stick .2 GT3 is arriving at month end, but I was at T Hill two weekends ago, my student had a freshly bought one there we were out in... that car is SOOOO easy to drive SOOOO fast... coming (like you) from 997 gen GT cars, I could not believe how incredibly light the clutch and shift action were. Hell, that clutch is half the effort of a stock GT4 clutch -- un believable!!!! This car is so good it just covers up so many technical driving mistakes even when pushing hard...

And of course, this new engine PULLS in the midrange, unlike the .1 3.8 9A motor. I think the current .1 to .2 change in engine is highly analogous to the Mezger 3.6 to 3.8 change from 997.1 to 997.2 GT3 in 2009. Early motor is definitely a touch spinnier and all the action is in top third of rev band, new motor pulls noticeably harder in midband. We know this is the end of the NA run on these cars, but Andi P and his crew are going out with bang, that is for sure. We will look back on these cars as the crowning glory of the era.

Regarding the engine character difference Mzgr vs GT 9A1... dunno how much time you had in Martin's car with the engine really up top... I would describe the Mezger character as there is a pissed off male lion in the back at full roar and ready to eat prey... the 9A1 is more a manic chainsaw about lose its chain and kill everybody in sight... more metallic and high pitched!! Both are magical but character is quite different.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 04-08-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:38 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
I'm sorry, but you may not have been using the configurator lately...
Very familiar with the configurator. I suppose it depends on how much you want to tart up your T. To me the idea of the T is simplicity.

My S configuration for a basic track weapon comes to $114,310. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCN7G82

The closest similar build in a T comes to $105,560 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJWAFX51

The difference is $8,750 which is a small delta for a car that would destroy T in any track situation. Don't get me wrong, I like the T and I applaud Porsche for creating it. When it gets into S money, I'd rather have the power and better brakes than leather, stitching, or a sunroof.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Very familiar with the configurator. I suppose it depends on how much you want to tart up your T. To me the idea of the T is simplicity.

My S configuration for a basic track weapon comes to $114,310. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCN7G82

The closest similar build in a T comes to $105,560 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJWAFX51

The difference is $8,750 which is a small delta for a car that would destroy T in any track situation. Don't get me wrong, I like the T and I applaud Porsche for creating it. When it gets into S money, I'd rather have the power and better brakes than leather, stitching, or a sunroof.
Sorry, but IMHO a better driver in a lesser car will prevail every time. Races aren't won on the front straight and most of what rennlisters do at the track isn't racing, It's track days. You don't "win" track days. I don't mean to be inflammatory, I just think it's a little silly when purchasers choose HP over other attributes. Besides, Carrera S and Carrera are in different classes in most series. In PCA 991 Carrera are in I Stock and 991 Carrera S is in J stock.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini

Well, for only $6K more than the S (even smaller delta) I would get a GTS that would destroy the S in any track situation. Get it?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Ill play devils advocate: One can tune a T to "destroy" an S for much less than $8000. Or spend less than 8000 to become a better driver.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:36 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

The T and S have same motor and turbos, only a tuning difference to get same power. Regarding brakes, S is 6 piston vs 4 piston, but that difference in performance is more about driver than the brakes.
I will install harness bar and 6 point seatbelt in my T to be safer on track. Can’t do that in an S without buying aftermarket seats.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Valid points. S has bigger turbos i think.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm on this simplify kick lately. I have this itch to get a car to drive mostly to and at the track. I have a GT3RS that I drive on track, I have a 964 build that is track oriented. But, those 2 cars are really more tow to the track and drive, load trailer, spare tires, gear, etc. I'm so busy lately I just want to wake up at 5am, hop in car, drive to track, do some laps, come home. Simplify.

The closest street friendly car which will come close in lap times to what you have is a GTS . The most fun for a great price is the T . You can't force the T to become close to an RS. I don't even know why anyone would try That simple .. you just saved 115K and disappointment . Easier to set the alarm earlier and tow the other car .

Quick Reply: Will I love a T