Sponsored by:

Need new tires for 991.1 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:00 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I put Kumho Ecsta PS91's on my car. Fantastic tire and half the price of the Michelins and Pirellis. You're never going to come close to a 991's performance envelope in street driving so what tires you buy isn't really that important, so long as they are good enough. The Kumho's have been super grippy and quiet. Highly recommended.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Ecsta+PS91
No offense to Churchill, but ignore this post. They do not wear well and you get what you pay for in tires. It’s not only about performance, especially on a street if you’re driving responsibly, but it’s about comfort, reliability, traction and noise level as the tire wears. Save the hassle and inconvenience and go for the Michelins. Had a set of Kumhos once on an Audi A4 a long time ago and would never again buy a set.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the Michelin Pilot 4S are the overwhelming favorite here. Originally I was thinking of replacing them with the P Zeros, but based on what I've seen here and elsewhere I'm going to go with the Michelin Pilot 4S. I know tires can make a huge difference with performance, comfort, safety and feel and I feel pretty good about this choice.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

No offense to Churchill, but ignore this post. They do not wear well and you get what you pay for in tires. It’s not only about performance, especially on a street if you’re driving responsibly, but it’s about comfort, reliability, traction and noise level as the tire wears. Save the hassle and inconvenience and go for the Michelins. Had a set of Kumhos once on an Audi A4 a long time ago and would never again buy a set.
So you had a set of Kumho's "a long time ago on an Audi" and on that basis you wouldn't get them today on a Porsche. We're all free to spend our money how we wish, of course, but I've found them to be excellent in every regard. And they're half the price.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:22 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Kuhmos Suck.

You guys that cheap out on your $ 100K car...<laughing>

Korean tires....Chinese Spoiler Lips off EBAY....Cheap Costco batteries.......You're going to give the guys in Stuttgart mini-heart attacks if they read these posts.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 04-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Kuhmos Suck.

You guys that cheap out on your $ 100K car...<laughing>

Korean tires....Chinese Spoiler Lips off EBAY....Cheap Costco batteries.......You're going to give the guys in Stuttgart mini-heart attacks if they read these posts.
Pirelli is owned by a Chinese company and its factories are located (IIRC) in 13 countries; Michelin makes tires in 17 countries. Toyotas are made in America. Etc. Smart point though.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
So you had a set of Kumho's "a long time ago on an Audi" and on that basis you wouldn't get them today on a Porsche. We're all free to spend our money how we wish, of course, but I've found them to be excellent in every regard. And they're half the price.
You know what? I think my initial response was a little harsh. I apologize. Just stressed about a bunch of things. I have been in a bunch of 997s/996s with Kumhos. Not sure which Kumhos. Didn’t like them. You are correct about the value and that each is free to choose. If someone doesn’t notice, why not buy the Kumhos. I just didn’t like them. I was able to tell the difference. Again, I apologize for my initial comment about ignoring your post which was rude.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
If you just need new rear Pirellis, buy these:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...0-shipped.html

Same Rennlister is also selling a complete set (4) of MPSS, but the rear tires are 295 and you need 305. Too bad.
Those MPSS’s he is selling, despite almost new tread, are already 5 years old.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

OP, cannot go wrong with the Michelin’s. You get No More than what you pay for but like Churchill, I like to experiment and give other manufacturers a chance.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Those MPSS’s he is selling, despite almost new tread, are already 5 years old.

How do you get that? They came off a 2017 Turbo S and the DOT code is 4117. They are about 26 week old.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:54 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup Michelin fan, MP4S after the Pirellis wore out. Check your local dealer I was shocked to have him give
me a better price than Tire Rack. And the dealer installed and balanced them for $200 all 4 tires, and these were
center lock wheels.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 PM
megatron991
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a set of 4 for my '13 C4S from costco.com. They are running an instant promotion of $70 off any 4 Michelin tires which began today. They are also offering 1 cent installation, mounting, and balancing per tire which also includes their road hazard coverage. I know that there is a debate between going to costco to have tires mounted or just purchasing them there and taking elsewhere but its a pretty good deal overall. Not sure if I will risk costco install yet. There are two sets of 4s tires listed when i put my car info in. I called them and they confirmed that the N0 tires are the item numbers below for my model. May be different for other sizes. Price and size below was before the discounts. Including taxes, it will be about $1400 shipped and installed before my 2% Executive cash back and the 2% for my costco credit card bringing it down to about $1350. They give a ~$60 discount for the installation on top of the $70 instant discount. Also, if you don't have costco install your tires, they state that, "If the Costco tire center does not install your tires, you will be refunded $14.00 per tire (plus disposal fee), and any applicable sales tax for your city and state." I doubt you would get the full $14 as you only paid 1 cent. Overall, these were the best prices I found online. Tire rack is $310 front and $425 rear plus ship and install.

PILOT SPORT 4S 305/30R20
Item # 1209870
$395.99

PILOT SPORT 4S 245/35R20
Item # 1209741
$294.99
Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Costco - Installation Reviews ?

I like using costco for tires, Discount will normally match anyone including Tire rack but the last time costco ran this deal they could not match. That being said, I replaced the tires on my 545 S with Michellins and somehow a Rim got cracked during installation (10 inch wide rims on back). They claimed it could not have been their fault and it caused me to purchase another $200 RIM. I did not pursue because I had no proof they cracked the RIM. The rim oddly was cracked on the inside lip about an inch and a half long. The tires were luckily run flat but it took me a week to figure out what was going on.

Has anyone else used Costco to install large performance tires with success (5 lug) ?

Originally Posted by megatron991
I just ordered a set of 4 for my '13 C4S from costco.com. They are running an instant promotion of $70 off any 4 Michelin tires which began today. They are also offering 1 cent installation, mounting, and balancing per tire which also includes their road hazard coverage. I know that there is a debate between going to costco to have tires mounted or just purchasing them there and taking elsewhere but its a pretty good deal overall. Not sure if I will risk costco install yet. There are two sets of 4s tires listed when i put my car info in. I called them and they confirmed that the N0 tires are the item numbers below for my model. May be different for other sizes. Price and size below was before the discounts. Including taxes, it will be about $1400 shipped and installed before my 2% Executive cash back and the 2% for my costco credit card bringing it down to about $1350. They give a ~$60 discount for the installation on top of the $70 instant discount. Also, if you don't have costco install your tires, they state that, "If the Costco tire center does not install your tires, you will be refunded $14.00 per tire (plus disposal fee), and any applicable sales tax for your city and state." I doubt you would get the full $14 as you only paid 1 cent. Overall, these were the best prices I found online. Tire rack is $310 front and $425 rear plus ship and install.

PILOT SPORT 4S 305/30R20
Item # 1209870
$395.99

PILOT SPORT 4S 245/35R20
Item # 1209741
$294.99
Old 04-20-2018, 02:10 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

PILOT SPORT 4S 305/30R20
Item # 1209870
$395.99

PILOT SPORT 4S 245/35R20
Item # 1209741
$294.99
Excellent prices. I am paying the dealer 200 bucks for installation and the tires themselves were the same price as TR. You are saving 300 bucks.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:17 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

PILOT SPORT 4S 305/30R20
Item # 1209870
$395.99

PILOT SPORT 4S 245/35R20
Item # 1209741
$294.99
I'm strongly considering using Costco as well as saw their promotion. I had tires for a non-performance car done at Costco and thought they did a good job. My local dealership says that will work with me as prices and will get back to me with a quote shortly.

Quick Reply: Need new tires for 991.1 C4S