Sponsored by:

Roadside tire removal/repair kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Roadside tire removal/repair kit

I live about 50 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer. I live 93 miles from my work in the opposite direction. The nearest Porsche dealer is about 30 miles past my work. Worst case scenario I am about 100 miles from the nearest dealer when I am driving to work. I am an airline pilot so showing up late for work is a major problem. The multiple hours it would take to get the car to a dealer on a flatbed in the event of a flat might cause me to miss my entire 3-4 day trip. I really have minimal faith in the included bottle of gunk to fix a flat.

I decided I would at least like to give myself the chance if I become stranded to jack the car up, get the wheel off and put a plug on the tire. ( I am aware these tires are not supposed to be plugged but that is another discussion.) I decided to gather a jack, wrench, quality plug kit to use along with the already provided air pump. I also ordered some of the jack pad adapters which are not pictured but in the mail. I have a plan to modify the base of the adapter to fit securely to the jack. Got some foam from Hobby Lobby and had some gray carpet left over so I made a form to keep everything in position and sort of provide a false floor. I have an old blanket that sits on top. Lose about 2.5" of space at the bottom. Hopefully I will never need to use it but at least I have the option now.

The following 2 users liked this post by wareaglescott:
FlyJacket (12-28-2020), sailorlite (08-21-2023)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:15 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I like the idea.

To store a full size jack and other essentials when I take long trips away from home I just use a small rubbermaid container which fits everything needed and fits nicely in the frunk.

Because its in a container it's easy to move from car to car.

I also usually carry one quart of oil with me in a zip lock bag. But in 4 years of ownership never had to add any during a trip.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I like the idea.

To store a full size jack and other essentials when I take long trips away from home I just use a small rubbermaid container which fits everything needed and fits nicely in the frunk.

Because its in a container it's easy to move from car to car.

I also usually carry one quart of oil with me in a zip lock bag. But in 4 years of ownership never had to add any during a trip.
Thanks
I needed something compact that still allowed me to fit my work suitcase in the car. I takes up the rest of the space.
Hopefully now that I have gone to the trouble I will never need to use it!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Very good. If the solution can be upgraded also for CLs it should be a winner.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The challenge is, if the tire is completely flat. Even if you plug the hole, the compressor won't be able to provide enough air to pop the tire back on the rim. Assuming the tire separated from the rim.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texas993
The challenge is, if the tire is completely flat. Even if you plug the hole, the compressor won't be able to provide enough air to pop the tire back on the rim. Assuming the tire separated from the rim.
Yep major damage or your scenario I am out of luck regardless. Every flat I have ever had has been a puncture so hopefully I at least have a chance in that case. This certainly isn't a sure fire solution but at least better than nothing and I have about $75 and 1 hour of my time invested so not much lost.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"Luck favors the prepared"

You look very prepared.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Throw in a torque wrench, a clean rag, work gloves, and a small piece of wood as a wheel chock. Use a rear seat floor mat to kneel on if you don’t bring soft knee pads. Keep you AAA card handy.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Throw in a torque wrench, a clean rag, work gloves, and a small piece of wood as a wheel chock. Use a rear seat floor mat to kneel on if you don’t bring soft knee pads. Keep you AAA card handy.
I have a fair amount of experience working on cars. I can guesstimate a safe enough torque to get me close and to a legitimate repair place. Have an old Military uniform top and gloves so I dont soil my work uniform in there as well and the blanket is to kneel on. We think alike! haha
The following users liked this post:
FlyJacket (12-28-2020)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a flat in my CGTS once and this is the kit I put together. The jack I bought off eBay -it’s a 987 jack. I did add a small piece of 2 x 6 to the kit it acts as a wheel chock or I can roll the up on the block if I have to to create more space for the jack if need be.

A few the things I added to the kit:

Porsche wheel hanger - it screws into a hole where a lug bolt would go and it makes it so much easier to align the repaired tire. I think it cost me $13 at my dealer.

A small piece of pipe for leverage.

A street hockey puck to place between the jack and the jacking point so i don’t scrape off any of the under coating.

A few few sets of pliers for removing whatever got stuck in my tire.

The second photo shows a close up of the Porsche wheel hanger stud.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I live about 50 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer. I live 93 miles from my work in the opposite direction. The nearest Porsche dealer is about 30 miles past my work. Worst case scenario I am about 100 miles from the nearest dealer when I am driving to work. I am an airline pilot so showing up late for work is a major problem. The multiple hours it would take to get the car to a dealer on a flatbed in the event of a flat might cause me to miss my entire 3-4 day trip. I really have minimal faith in the included bottle of gunk to fix a flat.

I decided I would at least like to give myself the chance if I become stranded to jack the car up, get the wheel off and put a plug on the tire. ( I am aware these tires are not supposed to be plugged but that is another discussion.) I decided to gather a jack, wrench, quality plug kit to use along with the already provided air pump. I also ordered some of the jack pad adapters which are not pictured but in the mail. I have a plan to modify the base of the adapter to fit securely to the jack. Got some foam from Hobby Lobby and had some gray carpet left over so I made a form to keep everything in position and sort of provide a false floor. I have an old blanket that sits on top. Lose about 2.5" of space at the bottom. Hopefully I will never need to use it but at least I have the option now.
Wow, that was a brain twister. I felt like I was solving one of those high school physics problems. lol.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a great idea, I use a tire plug kit called Safety Seal, used it many times over the last 10 years between all my cars, works great.

Also, for the lug nuts, aren't there factory locks that require a special socket, like this?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Here's my kit: stock jack, plug kit, assorted tools.

Plus this.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Ypu guys are making me feel very unprepared.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quattroboy

Also, for the lug nuts, aren't there factory locks that require a special socket, like this?

Yes that is already in the car and fits in the end of the 3/4" socket that takes the rest of the lugs off.

Quick Reply: Roadside tire removal/repair kit