Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slotted Brake Rotors Coming To The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Slotted Brake Rotors Coming To The 911?

I was at my local dealer today, Niello Porsche in Rocklin, CA, and was checking out a new Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo. First the new body style looks terrific and is a nice improvement over other Panamera's. To my surprise the car had iron slotted brake rotors and not drilled. I'm not that knowledgable on non 911 Porsche's but is this the first time Porsche has used slotted rotors on a street car? I'm not a fan of drilled rotors and I hope slotted iron rotors replace drilled rotors on future 911's.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I was at my local dealer today, Niello Porsche in Rocklin, CA, and was checking out a new Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo. First the new body style looks terrific and is a nice improvement over other Panamera's. To my surprise the car had iron slotted brake rotors and not drilled. I'm not that knowledgable on non 911 Porsche's but is this the first time Porsche has used slotted rotors on a street car? I'm not a fan of drilled rotors and I hope slotted iron rotors replace drilled rotors on future 911's.
As the owner of a new Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, I was pleasantly surprised by the slotted rotors. I just traded in my GT3, which came originally with the drilled rotors. After going through a couple of sets of rotors pretty quickly, I swapped them out for Brembo slotted rotors and the rotor wear issues decreased significantly. It's not clear to me why Porsche has stop to the drilled rotors. I found the Brembo to be as good or better in terms of braking (although I changed to a different pad at the same time, so not strictly apples to apples) and noticeably better in terms of longevity. I'd love to see that change made to the 911.

DMoore
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo
'16 Cayman
'18 911 GTS (due in Port of San Diego in 7 more days)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Its about time. Other than looking nice drilled rotors just don't hold up on the track. My OEM drilled rotors and pads are in a box. They were swapped for Giros , which are slotted & RE10's.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you really want rotors that brake the best, with the best most consistent brake feel, and last the longest no matter how hard they're used, take whatever you have and have them cryo'd. Whatever differences there are between solid, slotted and drilled, its nothing compared to cryo'd.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

The steel rotor Panameras always used slotted rotors on the previous generation. So this is nothing new for the current Panamera.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Back in the day, it was believed that drilled brakes allowed gasses from heated pads to dissipate as well as to keep things cooler both allowing for better braking. This, as it turned out was not entirely true. However, many people equated drilled rotors to high performance cars. So, Porsche, and other high performance car manufactures continue to make cars with holes in the rotors because it "looks" right. If you look closely on late model Porsches you'll note that some of the drilled holes don't even go all the way through.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove a Panamera Turbo S at a recent dealer sponsored track experience day. The car is such a heavy powerful beast it would chew through drilled rotors like bubble gum..
Old 05-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2013 Panamera had slotted rotors

Quick Reply: Slotted Brake Rotors Coming To The 911?