Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:54 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Another warm day, another day of driving.

Just got it over 1500 miles today and feel like its sounding better now than when I started. its so hard to keep it under 4K rpm. i let it go ti 5K everyone so often since it sounds fanatastic.

I think i remember reading that after driving for a while the mufflers or cats change as they get packed or something and the exhaust sound changes.

Today was also the first time drove in Sport Plus mode for a long time and it sounded so much better than "normal" or "sport" (which is very quickly annoying).

I was also impressed how supple the suspension remained even though everything was turned up to the next level.

I'm still dying to try the sport response and launch control. its going to be an awesome summer!

Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default What does Sport and Sport Plus ACTUALY do?

Originally Posted by G99x.y
Another warm day, another day of driving.

Just got it over 1500 miles today and feel like its sounding better now than when I started. its so hard to keep it under 4K rpm. i let it go ti 5K everyone so often since it sounds fanatastic.

I think i remember reading that after driving for a while the mufflers or cats change as they get packed or something and the exhaust sound changes.

Today was also the first time drove in Sport Plus mode for a long time and it sounded so much better than "normal" or "sport" (which is very quickly annoying).

I was also impressed how supple the suspension remained even though everything was turned up to the next level.

I'm still dying to try the sport response and launch control. its going to be an awesome summer!
Fantastic!

Question - I was under the impression that the Sports and Sports Plus do nothing to the suspension as it is not a PASM setup, just a Sports Suspension (lowered only).

I am not ordering the Sport Chrono as I also understanding in the T that it does nothing other than put a wart on the dash.

Could someone please clarify these for me? What does Sport and Sport Plus ACTUALY do?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Fantastic!

Question - I was under the impression that the Sports and Sports Plus do nothing to the suspension as it is not a PASM setup, just a Sports Suspension (lowered only).

I am not ordering the Sport Chrono as I also understanding in the T that it does nothing other than put a wart on the dash.

Could someone please clarify these for me? What does Sport and Sport Plus ACTUALY do?

Thanks!
The T has the Carrera S' Sport PASM as standard minus the Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts...

"Sport" mode just seems to just make the sport exhaust is active ( the exhaust button is lit up) and backfires (unnecessarily) on throttle lift, the throttle response is quicker, . I dont think the suspension is changed ( the suspension button is NOT lit up)

"Sport +" mode - is meant for driving just fast, so does away with sophomoric backfire noises. It stiffens up the sport suspension (the suspension indicator is lit up), the sport exhaust is activated and the throttle response is definitely quicker. and the shift points seem higher too.

Your right on the T, the Sports Chrono pack benefits are standard, except for the clock on the dash. ... which i didn't get. better sight lines, less complexity, lighter, unique to T!

for a good overview from porsche see:
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (11-09-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
I'm thinking about trading in my 991.1 Turbo S for a manual T. It will serve as my daily as my weekend/track car is a modified 964. Will I regret it?
Not according to a guy I drove acting in the Hill Country today. He's contemplating leaving his 991.1 GT3 for one... He had a TT for over a dozen years before this. I'm biased, of course, but it's an amazing car...

Old 02-03-2019, 09:53 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm thinking about trading in my 991.1 Turbo S for a manual T. It will serve as my daily as my weekend/track car is a modified 964. Will I regret it?
Not a chance. I owned a 991 Turbo S. The Carrera T with 7MT is far more fun and engaging.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
Not a chance. I owned a 991 Turbo S. The Carrera T with 7MT is far more fun and engaging.
Thanks for the feedback. In your eyes, what are the must have options?
Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. In your eyes, what are the must have options?
I only had three cost options. With the T, less is more. The only two must-have cost options for me were RAS and PCCBs. Also, make sure to get the 7MT and skip the sunroof.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

One of the sad byproduct of all the technologies that make the rear weight biased 911 fun to drive is losing the joy of the drivers skill in using that rear weight to rotate the car in a corner. Having raced 356’s to current cup cars, it was mastering that skill which led to winning races. As I’m sure you all do, watch the online videos from testers who will invariably turn off all the drivers aids and hustle the 911 with their right foot, that’s when the fun starts.
having said that my opinion is just that, no better or more meaningful than any other. But if you are relying on others opinion other than your own, then there lies the error.
its your car, it should match your skill sets, your intended usage, and most of all your desires and budget. There is no bad 911, make it your own and you will enjoy it no matter what options you settle on.
try to drive as many cars (don’t have to be T’s) before settling on your options. Your opinion is the only one that matters.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (11-09-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G99x.y
The T has the Carrera S' Sport PASM as standard minus the Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts...

"Sport" mode just seems to just make the sport exhaust is active ( the exhaust button is lit up) and backfires (unnecessarily) on throttle lift, the throttle response is quicker, . I dont think the suspension is changed ( the suspension button is NOT lit up)

"Sport +" mode - is meant for driving just fast, so does away with sophomoric backfire noises. It stiffens up the sport suspension (the suspension indicator is lit up), the sport exhaust is activated and the throttle response is definitely quicker. and the shift points seem higher too.

Your right on the T, the Sports Chrono pack benefits are standard, except for the clock on the dash. ... which i didn't get. better sight lines, less complexity, lighter, unique to T!

for a good overview from porsche see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQFj_tYW4Q
Great! Thanks so much. Without the Sport Chrono, I am assuming that the Individual Mode is present in the T with a manual transmission, correct?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Great! Thanks so much. Without the Sport Chrono, I am assuming that the Individual Mode is present in the T with a manual transmission, correct?
Yes - the only thing missing on the manual is the "sport response button" in the middle of the sport mode selector dial.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I drove a new 15mi T the other day at a P dealer. Love the car.

Funny thing, I was light on the peddles waiting for oil and water temps to come up. Sales guy (I bought a car from a few years ago) after a few minutes said get on it. i explained I was waiting for temps. He said, not needed. Flog it.

Interesting test drive.

As a life long P car nut I still didnt take it beyond 5k rpm thinking I might be buying this car today.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 185 Posts

The Carrera T has captured my interest, and I’m giving some thought to trading my ‘16 GT350R in on one.

I see a handful of 2018s Ts sitting on lots. Any thoughts on a reasonable % off of MSRP I might expect to negotiate?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 225 Posts

I got just over 10% off my new 2019 Carrera T in December of 2018. If I were thinking about a new 2018 left over with no miles I would be looking for 15-18% off MSRP.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
I got just over 10% off my new 2019 Carrera T in December of 2018. If I were thinking about a new 2018 left over with no miles I would be looking for 15-18% off MSRP.
That may be a bit optimistic but one thing is for sure -- the best time to negotiate a deal is right now as spring is just around the corner. I was in the market last year around this time and waited just a bit too long. It was amazing how things changed once some decent weather rolled in.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
I drove a new 15mi T the other day at a P dealer. Love the car.

Funny thing, I was light on the peddles waiting for oil and water temps to come up. Sales guy (I bought a car from a few years ago) after a few minutes said get on it. i explained I was waiting for temps. He said, not needed. Flog it.

Interesting test drive.

As a life long P car nut I still didnt take it beyond 5k rpm thinking I might be buying this car today.
And... the verdict is? Did you buy it?

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club