Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by .moo.
Interesting info. Anyone know what is the biggest rotor (BBK) that can fit in the stock T wheels? Interested in upgrading the brakes to be in the same size as PCCB.
They will fit as cars with PCCB also have 20inch wheels, but I think if you go all the way to 380mm you also need to change the calipers due to loading on the bolts with no rigid structural support.

I just spoke to Girodisc, and on previous cars, they recommend using the S rotors at 350mm which left a 10mm unswept area. However, they developed a new front rotor in 350mm for the base model and I may be the the first to try these.
If you can wait, I will report back in three weeks after they are fitted on my car.
I was on the track Saturday in 94F and no problems with the brakes. No fades no nothing. I went 90% for me but not 110% as I had stock brakes, fluid and alignment. I am changing to the 350mm and floating rotors to help heatsoak but there is plenty of bite in these brakes.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-17-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Spyderbret, congrats!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve had the car for almost 2 weeks now and I only turned on the radio yesterday!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

^^the car has a radio?

:-)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem

They will fit as cars with PCCB also have 20inch wheels, but I think if you go all the way to 380mm you also need to change the calipers due to loading on the bolts with no rigid structural support.

I just spoke to Girodisc, and on previous cars, they recommend using the S rotors at 350mm which left a 10mm unswept area. However, they developed a new front rotor in 350mm for the base model and I may be the the first to try these.
If you can wait, I will report back in three weeks after they are fitted on my car.
I was on the track Saturday in 94F and no problems with the brakes. No fades no nothing. I went 90% for me but not 110% as I had stock brakes, fluid and alignment. I am changing to the 350mm and floating rotors to help heatsoak but there is plenty of bite in these brakes.
Thanks! Actually, I would just upgrade the whole brake package. Rotor + brake caliper. Something about all that space in the wheels that I can't stand. You could practically get a mouse to live in that space!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I like the space, now I can clean the barrel without removing the wheels :-)

Also, if tracking, less heat transfer from brake rotors to the rim and tire, or go to 19" for the track for lower cost tires.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts
Default How cool is this???

Guess we have our own 50 year anniversary model...

RR VI CT Article

Hope they clear coated that signature!

S
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM
MDJAK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad I had to get old (j/k, 61 and in good shape) before I could afford a new 911, the T in my case. I'd have loved to get those cool looking buckets but I'd have a real hard time getting in and out I'm afraid.

I'd also love those luscious yellow calipers. Oh, well, mine is just fine as is.

In fact, my son borrowed it today to drive up to NH. Weather will be warm next few days there so not worried about the summer rubber.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That article is awesome. I would have loved to been able to go to RSR. And meet some of the historic racing icons.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New C&D instrumented test for the T

Nice write up with an actual instrumented test, which most write ups and videos fail to deliver. As usual the numbers are far better than what Porsche itself releases.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...leration-specs
Old 10-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
Nice write up with an actual instrumented test, which most write ups and videos fail to deliver. As usual the numbers are far better than what Porsche itself releases.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...leration-specs
Thanks for sharing, but it’s a shame that I can’t view that review in the UK.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Thanks for sharing, but it’s a shame that I can’t view that review in the UK.
Instrumented Test

The 2018 Porsche 911 Carrera T Is Purist Perfection

This hard-core 911 comes without a hard-core price.

OCTOBER 2018 BY MULTIPLE AUTHORS PHOTOS BY STEVE SILER 20 COMMENTS

0shares

Price Starting at$92,150Shop Local Cars

Think Porsche builds only pricey special variants of its core 911 Carrera lineup? Sure, the GTS and the Turbo, as well as track specials such as the GT3, cost an arm and a leg. When base 911s are just under $100K to start, the hotter stuff is naturally going to cost more. But the 2018 Carrera T is the rare 911 special that stands apart from everyday Carrera and Carrera S models and yet doesn't cost a fortune.

HIGHS
Brilliant in every dynamic respect, fantastic sounds, a bargain among special-edition 911s.
LOWS
Annoying door-pull straps, thigh-bruising ingress/egress with optional full bucket seats, harsh ride.The T nestles between the 370-hp Carrera and the 420-hp Carrera S in the basement of the 911 lineup. It uses the former's 370-hp twin-turbocharged flat-six yet takes on the adaptive suspension (PASM Sport in Porsche-speak) from the Carrera GTS, a Sport Exhaust system with black exhaust tips, a shorter 3.59:1 final-drive ratio, a limited-slip rear differential (on versions equipped with the seven-speed manual transmission), and a "lightweight" version of the 911's Sport Chrono package that keeps the dynamic engine mounts and steering-wheel-mounted driving-mode selector but goes without the usual dashtop gauge (although that can be added back in for $320).

VIEW 36 PHOTOS

Lightweight Measures

A set of rocker-panel stripes and side mirrors finished in Agate Grey and 20-inch Carrera S wheels painted Titanium Grey complete the look, while lightweight glass aft of the B-pillar, nylon pull straps instead of internal door handles, and the stripping of some sound insulation shed a claimed 11 pounds from the basic Carrera's curb weight.

Porsche says this is the lightest factory 911 variant you can buy. For those of you really serious about weight savings, the company offers fixed-back bucket seats for $5200 that can only slide (manually) fore and aft and require that the rear seats be deleted, too, elevating the T's overall weight savings to a claimed 44 pounds. The T is the first non-GT 911 available with these hard-core chairs, which are as intense as any seat offered on a street-legal automobile in the United States. Surprisingly, the buckets are tolerable not just for short trips but long hauls as well, although they make even reaching for a briefcase tossed in back a contortionist affair. The sum of the T's upgrades and mass reductions is a base 911 that is packed with the go-fast items you want and none of the non-speed-related extras you don't, with additional rawness sprinkled over the driving experience for good measure thanks to the thinner glass and missing sound-deadening material.

As with most of Porsche's lightweight specials, the Carrera T's reductive feature count results in additive pricing—but not outrageously so. At $103,150, it falls just $3000 shy of the Carrera S, which comes with 50 more horsepower, more than enough to offset the T's lighter curb weight. We couldn't care less. There is undeniable novelty in a base 911 made, well, base-er and packing must-have performance options.

VIEW 36 PHOTOS

We tested two Carrera Ts, one with the standard seven-speed manual transmission and another with Porsche's seven-speed PDK dual-clutch automatic. The former model came with a microsuede-wrapped steering wheel and shift **** ($910) and the aforementioned lightweight bucket seats ($5200). Both cars were equipped with Porsche's optional rear-wheel steering ($2090). Adding the PDK costs $3730, and the T so equipped also came with $700 heated front seats. Other than their transmissions and minutely differing interior trim, the major difference between the two cars was their paint colors. The manual-transmission car was Racing Yellow, the PDK-equipped model Guards Red. Besides the ketchup-and-mustard colors, Porsche also offers Lava Orange, Miami Blue, GT Silver, Carrara White, Jet Black, and gloss white or black. Cloth seating surfaces are standard, and for a little extra money, you can have contrasting-color stitching in red, yellow, or silver, with the seatbelts and fabric door pulls in the same hue.

Performance: Objective and Subjective

In keeping with the T's heritage—it stands for Touring and was first applied to the 1968 911T to denote it as the lightest factory 911—both Carrera Ts are the lightest regular-grade current-generation 911s we've tested, if only just. The manual-transmission car weighed 3221 pounds, eight pounds shy of a 2017 911 Carrera manual; at 3290 pounds, the PDK-equipped car was only 13 pounds lighter than a 2017 911 Carrera PDK we tested previously. The two cars' performance, similarly, shades their non-T counterparts. The PDK is the quicker of the two, hitting 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, or 0.1 second behind the Carrera PDK. Color us surprised by the Carrera T manual, whose 3.7-second run to 60 mph represents a 0.3-second improvement over the manual-transmission 2017 Carrera. Otherwise, generating 1.05 to 1.06 g of lateral grip on the skidpad along with 142- and 144-foot stopping distances from 70 mph covers territory trod by other Carreras. It's pretty rarified territory but not new-to-the-911 territory.

Absent detectable seat-of-the-pants performance gains, what is the Carrera T buyer left with? Well, with less sound attenuation under their seats and thinner window glass behind them, those drivers are subject to a steady harmony of tire sizzle and slap and suspension thumping. The speedometer doubles as a volume readout, in that the faster you go, the more racket makes its way through the Carrera T's thinner shell. Road imperfections passing beneath the tires announce themselves as forcefully by feel as they do aurally, owing to the PASM Sport's stiffer tune relative to the regular Carrera's.

VIEW 36 PHOTOS

In any other car, these changes would be categorized as having worsened the underlying vehicle. Here, it's the whole point. In removing some of the 911's veneer of refinement, Porsche has managed to bring some of the GT3's rawness into the entry-level Carrera. This GT-car rub-off gives the Carrera T's driver a more vivid connection with the car, the controls seemingly twitching with greater feedback than the 911's talkative baseline. It's like when your arm falls asleep and is tingling back awake as the blood flow returns and its nerve endings spark back to attention—the sensations are fresh, although in your head you know it's the same sweet-driving 911.

It's Not for Everyone

If you think you might get hung up on the Carrera T's sharper edge or its—gulp—cloth seats, you're missing the point. This car is for those who hunger for more granular road feel and the chance to zing a Porsche flat-six to redline for the pops and burbles on overrun that pierce the cabin. For them, seats wrapped in cloth can be justified any number of ways: It's grippier than leather, cloth isn't widely available as an upholstery choice in the 911 lineup, maybe it weighs less than cowhide. Who cares? It's different, and it highlights the T's low-frills, low-weight reason for existence.

VIEW 36 PHOTOS

The experience-over-substance approach works best when paired with the manual transmission. The shortened shift lever is a pleasure to muscle through the gears, its action notchy and stiff. Even though the clutch pedal requires more than a little quadricep strength, the reward is, well, full-body engagement. The workout you'll get when traffic snarls to a stop-and-go morass suits the Carrera T's hard-way-on-purpose personality. This isn't to say the PDK isn't as excellent here as it is in every other Porsche sports-car application. It just comes across as lazy. Besides, you'll want the distraction of selecting your own gears when your ears and buns are being assaulted by all that road and exhaust noise, the brutal ride, and those optional fixed-back bucket seats.

By stripping the 911 to its core, Porsche has tapped into the same illogical primacy that drove its customers to rebellion when the latest 911 GT3 briefly lost its manual-transmission option. The PDK transmission is a better track-day tool, shifting more crisply and delivering quicker acceleration than a human working a shift lever and a third pedal ever could. But for many Porsche customers, the experience, no matter its effect on outright performance, matters more. The Carrera T answers that call, with an exclusive feature mix and even in the degradation of its ride comfort and refinement. In spite of the manual T's shorter final-drive ratio and lighter weight, it comes with no real performance gain that can be detected without a stopwatch. Yet by some miracle, this special-edition 911 also comes without a crazy-high price. That makes it the best experiential value in the 911 lineup today.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Thank you! What a gentleman!
Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

TY and good read - these little snippets get me by until delivery next year
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In this write up you say that only the manual comes with the limited slip... is that correct? Doesn’t the PDK T have a limited slip?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 T owners club