Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Correct Nothing specific with the T - works like that in any other Porsche featuring this gadget. I had this first in my 981 Spyder and also were wondering whether it's defect. Pretty useless gimmick IMHO - even more so in a Spyder where it's easier to know from the screaming sound behind you when it's time for an upshift

Tried it today on a 330 mile drive. Only kicked in well above 5k rpm. ‘Dial’ went orange and then red. Not sure that it’s a very useful feature.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Watching the video posted above, looks like it only works between 4K revs and red line...

Mine works just fine just like the manual states and the video above shows as you approach higher RPMs.

I think many are getting the Gear Shift Assist confused with the Gear Upshift Indicator
Here's what the manual states - (I know we are NOT supposed to read the manual)

Gear Upshift Indicator - located on the right side of the digital speedometer indication as an up arrow

Depending on the selected gear, engine speed and accelerator pedal position, the fuel economyoriented upshift indicator lights up, prompting you to shift to a higher gear.

Shift to the next-higher gear when the upshift indicator lights up.

Gear Shift Assist - located on the right MFD

An upshift indicator is displayed to help with performance-oriented driving.
The gear shift assist visualizes a prompt to the driver to upshift to the next highest gear with a pre-indication as the segments fill up.
The segment color changes in sequence from white to yellow to red.

If all segments are red, a + appears next to the current gear as a prompt to the driver to shift to the next highest gear.

So basically since the Gear Shift Assist is tied ONLY to performance-oriented driving it makes sense that the indicator wouldn't be indicating anything until the RPM's get into the higher range above 5000 rpm.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Beartooth
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 992 Carrera T

Maybe I’m a step behind but Road and Track is reporting there will be a 992 Carrera T. So that answers that question.

Last edited by Beartooth; 10-08-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I don't think we NEED any of these cars.
I disagree. I need all of these cars.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that’s a kick in the *****. I retract all previous statements. Furthermore after deeper research I found that PCNA has filed for a VIN designated to a 718 Cayman. The rumors is with the new 992 there will be a T variant of the 718 released.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:49 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
Quick question for the T club: What type of PPF are you all going for if any? My T is a daily driver. I was thinking partial front with full hood (meaning basically a full front with half fender coverage). Just curious.

First impressions: The drive is visceral; pupils dilate and my heart pounds just enough because the MT requires the input but its so smooth its like cutting back and forth into butter...and the rev matching...baby! The suspension is amazing and the feel of the wheel in sport/sport+ just does it right for me. Changing lanes with RAS is just heaven. Sport exhaust gets me every time. I find myself looping around to go under the overpasses just to hear it a little better with the windows down. The T is something special for me. Like playing a vinyl record through my dolby surround sound, something sweetly analog exists deep within the heart of this machine...and I absolutely love it!

Went with half fenders and full hood(your thought) plus A pillars and front 4 in. of roof(easy for you with sunroof). Like you, more in love with the car every day!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 PM
diss7
Racer

Received 390 Likes on 111 Posts

Hi everyone.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks for all the CT specific information in one spot. Have gone through this entire thread over the past months, living vicariously through all of you!

The CT was instantly appealing to me when it was announced, but it wasn't the right time for me to commit. Instead, put a deposit down on the M2 Competition, but there's several things I'm not happy about with it, so have not confirmed the order.

Decided I would keep my 997 C2S and work out what to do in another year. Either a new 992, or a tidy 991 that had been traded for a 992. I looked at a 991.2 recently with 20,000kms and was disappointed at the condition. The previous owner clearly just saw it as an A - B. My 997 is 12 years old and was in far better condition! See here:

Weekend just past I inadvertently sold my 997, which was on the market as it was making room for the M2C. I didn't want to sell it for another year, but I was offered $15k more than I expected to get, so accepted the offer. Premium that tidy cars seem to command is itself worth the effort of keeping it tidy.

From what I've seen of the 992, I'm not a fan. Front too square at some points. Rear ! . Interior !. So decided to try my local dealer for a CT allocation yesterday. They tried steering me towards a CT they had in stock, but the spec wasn't close to what I wanted. They rang back a couple of hours later and said they might be able to secure an allocation from another dealer, if I was in a position to to confirm spec and place a deposit immediately. I said that I could do both, and am currently sitting, waiting for the phone call ! Fingers crossed!

My spec is pretty basic, and based on what I want out of the car, and what I've learnt from previous cars. I'm not driving it to work, and plan to keep for 10 years - maybe more. So can really commit to the T - ness.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKJSUBA0

Black, C2S wheels, manual, no sunroof.
Only options are: Buckets, Alcantara wheel / shifter / visors, red belts, RAS. Delete rear badge and door stickers.
Am in NZ, so they'll allow me to delete the rear seats and the PCM.

I didn't go with the ceramics for a few reasons.
1. I don't like the yellow caliper - as sad as that is to factor. (I don't like the red caliper on S models either, so I was in the minority that was celebrating the base brakes on the CT)
2. I don't like the risk - have met numerous people that have either chipped a disc, or simply swap to steel for lower opex.
3. I've done a fair bit of (amateur) track racing and am 99% certain that any fade from brakes of this size are pad compound related. My CT is only ever a backup track car (in the sense that I might use it on a social track day when my dedicated track car is out of action), so will never see hard track use

I just hope I can get it now!

If not, I'll look for a 996 GT3, but I've looked at so many of these over the years and they're always too rough for me.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Awesome! Have appointment for the half fenders and full hood. We will see how that looks. I might DIY some of the other stuff with my buddy who is buying in bulk for his LC500 (pictured with the T).
Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by diss7
Hi everyone.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks for all the CT specific information in one spot. Have gone through this entire thread over the past months, living vicariously through all of you!

The CT was instantly appealing to me when it was announced, but it wasn't the right time for me to commit. Instead, put a deposit down on the M2 Competition, but there's several things I'm not happy about with it, so have not confirmed the order.

Decided I would keep my 997 C2S and work out what to do in another year. Either a new 992, or a tidy 991 that had been traded for a 992. I looked at a 991.2 recently with 20,000kms and was disappointed at the condition. The previous owner clearly just saw it as an A - B. My 997 is 12 years old and was in far better condition! See here: https://youtu.be/B5ACxjCxBQk

Weekend just past I inadvertently sold my 997, which was on the market as it was making room for the M2C. I didn't want to sell it for another year, but I was offered $15k more than I expected to get, so accepted the offer. Premium that tidy cars seem to command is itself worth the effort of keeping it tidy.

From what I've seen of the 992, I'm not a fan. Front too square at some points. Rear ! . Interior !. So decided to try my local dealer for a CT allocation yesterday. They tried steering me towards a CT they had in stock, but the spec wasn't close to what I wanted. They rang back a couple of hours later and said they might be able to secure an allocation from another dealer, if I was in a position to to confirm spec and place a deposit immediately. I said that I could do both, and am currently sitting, waiting for the phone call ! Fingers crossed!

My spec is pretty basic, and based on what I want out of the car, and what I've learnt from previous cars. I'm not driving it to work, and plan to keep for 10 years - maybe more. So can really commit to the T - ness.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKJSUBA0

Black, C2S wheels, manual, no sunroof.
Only options are: Buckets, Alcantara wheel / shifter / visors, red belts, RAS. Delete rear badge and door stickers.
Am in NZ, so they'll allow me to delete the rear seats and the PCM.

I didn't go with the ceramics for a few reasons.
1. I don't like the yellow caliper - as sad as that is to factor. (I don't like the red caliper on S models either, so I was in the minority that was celebrating the base brakes on the CT)
2. I don't like the risk - have met numerous people that have either chipped a disc, or simply swap to steel for lower opex.
3. I've done a fair bit of (amateur) track racing and am 99% certain that any fade from brakes of this size are pad compound related. My CT is only ever a backup track car (in the sense that I might use it on a social track day when my dedicated track car is out of action), so will never see hard track use

I just hope I can get it now!

If not, I'll look for a 996 GT3, but I've looked at so many of these over the years and they're always too rough for me.
You can't go wrong with a spec like that. Unfiltered truth as they say. I do use the T as a daily and plan to track a little. I stepped up from a super basic analog Jeep Wrangler so the T-ness is a step up in delight for my daily commute.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Beartooth
Intermediate

Diss7 very nice! So, in NZ do you get full buckets that tilt or are they fixed like in the USA? I love the FBS and am still perfecting my entry and exit procedure.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:54 PM
diss7
Racer

Received 390 Likes on 111 Posts

6 months ago, both were on the NZ configurator. The folding buckets are the Sports buckets?

Only the fixed are available now. Which is fine as that's what I preferred. The dealer's CT that's in stock has the Sports folding buckets.

I hear what you're saying regarding entry and exit procedure. A small concession!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by diss7
6 months ago, both were on the NZ configurator. The folding buckets are the Sports buckets?

Only the fixed are available now. Which is fine as that's what I preferred. The dealer's CT that's in stock has the Sports folding buckets.

I hear what you're saying regarding entry and exit procedure. A small concession!

here’s my new non met black for your perusal , awesome awesome car llloooooovve it!

Enjoy the wait bro!

Last edited by AlpineR; 10-09-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Tried it today on a 330 mile drive. Only kicked in well above 5k rpm. ‘Dial’ went orange and then red. Not sure that it’s a very useful feature.
Also try in different modes
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ALPINER
great looking car. Congrats. You are killing me though. Mine is non melt. Black as well. I am still months away from Delivery. I am going nuts waiting.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Beartooth
Intermediate

Black is back! 😀

Harlowton Montana deluxe accommodations

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club