Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

With all the focus on break-in discussions it makes me cringe when i hear the salesman "floored" it. I can't count the number of times a salesman has "floored" an in-stock car on the test ride. Wonder how many times that same car has been "demonstrated". They in many cases demo it "like they stole it".
Old 05-18-2018, 02:22 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very excited!

Just locked in a 2019 T allocation with a July build and September delivery!

Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Beartooth
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool! What were your key options? There are so many fun options on these things.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
With all the focus on break-in discussions it makes me cringe when i hear the salesman "floored" it. I can't count the number of times a salesman has "floored" an in-stock car on the test ride. Wonder how many times that same car has been "demonstrated". They in many cases demo it "like they stole it".

Agreed. And the big no, no seems to be flooring it while the engine and oil are still relatively cold. Knowledgeable engineering types say that they would never floor the throttle until the oil was at about 90 degrees, even after the running in period.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronht
Very excited!

Just locked in a 2019 T allocation with a July build and September delivery!

Congrats! Another soon to be T owner!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Congrats, Beartooth!
Looks great!

Gotta love the yellow highlights!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Highway2Hell
..... Add me to the Miami Blue Club!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKY23CC7

Went to Braman Porsche today to check out the 911T's in stock. I went to see specifically what the Miami Blue looked like in person. I know a lot of people complain that it looks too Turquoise. When I pulled into the parking lot it was waiting for me. The color was more impressive than my expectation as that I thought I was going to be disappointed. I bet my eyes must have been almost out of my head. I thought I needed a double take for a split second.

I really wanted to do the "T" in PTS, but everyone has been saying no and then the increase to $11k.... well... I thought I was going to try and find GT Silver Metallic if possible or wait on a 992. Then after seeing the Panamera dash and console I felt that the 992 dash was going to be ok,.... but the console....well, lets just say the cup holders seemed nice... ha ha.

The Miami Blue "T" was a manual, and I sat in and sorted myself. It felt good. I played around with the shifter to see what the 7-speed felt like as I rolled through the gears. I had only ever owned a 5-speed, so wasn't sure if it was something I'd like. I didn't quite like how the lockout feature to 7th seemed you had to go to 6th first. I just felt that even though I'd like a manual, with my plan of "one and done", that as I age I may not enjoy the shifting in the future. I asked if we could take out the Yellow PDK "T" . He said, "no problem, jump in and we'll drive over to where its parked." So off on the test ride... The saleman took me out and I watched him roll through the gears. Right away I realized that I would love the manual, but the voice inside my head said I hope the PDK is all everyone says it is.

He took me out in the PDK and floored it. The torque was really impressive. The lightning quick gear changes were awesome. For a second I was wondering if he was going to brake for the traffic light.. ha ha.
He said do you want to take it for a drive? I said "YOU BETCHA !!!" As soon as I got behind the wheel and pulled out of the parking lot I realized how much I miss driving German cars. I tried accelerating a couple times and was impressed. The ride was fairly tight/stiff but very compliant. Again, nice and think I could live with it. The steering was precise and something I've really missed. By the end of our short drive I knew I was sold. He asked me how I liked it. I said if you can get me an allocation so I can order a Miami Blue PDK "T" I think you'll have a deal!. And there you have it. Hopefully tomorrow they'll confirm my allocation.
Great news! Will look awesome in Miami Blue!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:39 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beartooth
Cool! What were your key options? There are so many fun options on these things.
Here's the build list -

911 Carrera T
Carrara White Metallic
Leather Int Black/GT Silver with Sport-Tex Seat Centers Carrera T Interior Package
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Rear Axle Steering
Front Axle Lift System
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Smoking Package
Light Design Package
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
Power Steering Plus
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum
Interior Trim in Leather in Interior Color
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Voice Control
Chrono Package with Porsche Track Precision App Instrument Dials in White
Sport Chrono Stopwatch Dial in White
Steering Column Casing in Leather
Tinted Taillights
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
Premium Package i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) Seat Heating
Automatically Dimming Mirrors
LED Headlights in Black w/Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus

I know not a perfect build by many standards here, but I won't be "tracking" it.

I was trying to stick with the white, black and grey theme throughout. I'm hoping with the dark glass sunroof, the black outlined headlights, and the grey mirrors, wheels, black decals and so forth that it will really "pop" the overall appearance.

Very excited about this one!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Beartooth
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ll bet you’re excited! Looks pretty close to perfect to me! After a few hours in the lightweight buckets my skinny rear may be reminding me the adjustable sport seats with the “T” pinstripes look great and make a lot more sense.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 PM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Nice spec! Since you're not going for a stripper, the Burmester is well worth the premium over the Bose, especially in the T where the stereo has additional ambient noise to overcome.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:20 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Nice spec! Since you're not going for a stripper, the Burmester is well worth the premium over the Bose, especially in the T where the stereo has additional ambient noise to overcome.
I must admit, every time I turn on the radio/media/music, I turn it off after 3-4 mins... I’d rather be absorbed by the sound of the car. Plus, it’s good to get a break from the news these days. I haven’t even figured out if the XM radio subscription is active.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Agreed. And the big no, no seems to be flooring it while the engine and oil are still relatively cold. Knowledgeable engineering types say that they would never floor the throttle until the oil was at about 90 degrees, even after the running in period.
I won't floor my cars—or any car, I'm driving, for that matter—until the oil is up to operating temp, or very close to it (10°~ F). When it's still 90° F, I'm trying to stay light throttle and 2000-3500 rpm. Makes me cringe...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
I won't floor my cars—or any car, I'm driving, for that matter—until the oil is up to operating temp, or very close to it (10°~ F). When it's still 90° F, I'm trying to stay light throttle and 2000-3500 rpm. Makes me cringe...

Hi Pete. Yep, I was referring to the temperature in degrees centigrade, which is what is shown on the dashboards over here in the U.K. My understanding is to not give the engine the full beans until after the running in period, and only then when the engine oil has reached normal operating temperature of around 90 degrees centigrade. Cheers, Simon

P.S. I hear a lot about the car's 'brain' recording over-revs, but does it record if the throttle is floored on a cold engine, I wonder. Surely both events could cause damage?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Full throttle on a cold engine is never a good idea.

I also own a private aircraft which has an engine similar in many ways to the air-cooled 911 engine in that it's a big bore, 6 cylinder flat opposed engine. The warm-up process on that is to not go above 1200rpm until the engine oil temp is above 90c and not to go to full power for takeoff until the cylinder head temps are 250c or more which puts the oil temp in the 130c or greater range. Once that's achieved the aircraft engine can be operated at max rated speed. Not adhering to those parameters can be costly.

While it's not necessary to let a car sit until those temps are achieved, I think it's just good common sense to purposely only use light engine loads and throttle until the engine has reached and stabilized at it's normal operating temperature.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

The major issue is ensuring that the oil pressure (and therefore film thickness) at each bearing and each contact surface is sufficient for lubrication. Oil thins at temperature and the viscosity changes allowing proper oil pressure to be developed in all the ultra-tight tolerance section of the engine. It's the same basic reason why you don't want to use thicker oil than recommended. IMHO as a mechanical engineer, flooring it while cold is just about the worst possible thing you can do with a modern engine, save for using a non-manufacturer recommended weight oil. I also wouldn't lug the engine (for similar reasons). I'd wait until at least 180F or better 194F before getting on it.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club