Sponsored by:

Windshield Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:09 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Polishing

Took my 911.2 down to Florida over Christmas. There always seems to be a truck running on the shoulder on 95 and kicking up gravel. Got a few small scratches and chips in my windshield. None that you can feel with your nail. Has anyone successfully polished any of these out?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive done it many times. Glass is really hard. You have to use hard compound and alot of buffing. You never get it all out. But every time I do it, it does seem to make an improvement. There are windshield shops that polish out wiper scratches, chips.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'd leave it alone. Our windshields take a beating (low to the ground,.....soft German glass). You'll get more.

If I see a truck, I change lanes, fall back, or pass it. If the truck does not have a covered load and mud flaps, I exit the highway.

Never tailgate.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Took my 911.2 down to Florida over Christmas. There always seems to be a truck running on the shoulder on 95 and kicking up gravel. Got a few small scratches and chips in my windshield. None that you can feel with your nail. Has anyone successfully polished any of these out?
I used Car Pro Ceriglass on my DD (Prius) and was successful in polishing out hard water spots and light to mild swirls. As for rock chips, no luck!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:36 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

A Google search will get you lots of info. Just did this on a my recent 13 c4s buy. Had serious water spots and a 10 inch wiper mark. Get cerium oxide and a fiber da pad. Make a slurry with water and go to work. It is VERY labor intensive. Lots of shops won't do this because by the time you cover the labor you can more than replace the glass. It is not as messy as some of the Google info claims. I covered my car in plastic but really didn't need to.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Rayon Pads

Polishing Product.
The product I mentioned (Car Pro - Ceriglass) has cerium oxide. I’m attaching screen shots of the products I purchased from Autogeeks. I also used the Rayon Glass Polishing pad and my orbital polisher. This can also be accomplished by hand which is labor intensive.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Did it on my Macan, worked for me very well (but I only had scratches on 1/3 of the windshield).
You need 1) a good high speed drill, 2) an orbital adapter, 3) liquid cereum oxide (doesnt shoot everywhere like poweder), 3) polishing pads with velcro, 4) lots of elbow grease (1-2 hours minimum)
They have kits on Amazon for like $50.
Things to consider: 1) dont lean on glass too hard, 2) heat- it gets really hot so switch spots frequently, and 3) how perfect you need to get it. Sometimes just making the scratch less sharp at the edges will make it nearly invisible from the inside and prevent reflections at night.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:43 PM
Isle in Dixie
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'd leave it alone. Our windshields take a beating (low to the ground,.....soft German glass). You'll get more.

If I see a truck, I change lanes, fall back, or pass it. If the truck does not have a covered load and mud flaps, I exit the highway.

Never tailgate.
This^

Quick Reply: Windshield Polishing