Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Has anyone played with spark plugs yet? Either gaping down fresh ones or going a step colder? Or is everyone waiting for stage 2 or Stage 3?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all of you running a Cobb tune that track your 991.2, have you also added the third radiator? I have Cobb and soul Sport cats being added next week to my .2 GTS (along with girodisc, Pagid/Ferodo combo, set and r comp tires), but not sure I need to spend the $ on the extra radiator. I track in Texas, so it can be hot at times, but never experienced high temps on my NA or TT 911s in same environment. Not planning on upgrading the intercoolers. Just want to make sure I’m not taking unnecessary risk without the extra oil cooler?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jplohg
For all of you running a Cobb tune that track your 991.2, have you also added the third radiator? I have Cobb and soul Sport cats being added next week to my .2 GTS (along with girodisc, Pagid/Ferodo combo, set and r comp tires), but not sure I need to spend the $ on the extra radiator. I track in Texas, so it can be hot at times, but never experienced high temps on my NA or TT 911s in same environment. Not planning on upgrading the intercoolers. Just want to make sure I’m not taking unnecessary risk without the extra oil cooler?
My next track day is 26 Aug. I am having a lesson with a pro. They hook up all the computer gear and measure everything. I'll see what temps get to. Winter is almost over here, but we have summer 9months of the year and it gets HOT at the track. I will most likely do the PWR centre and upgrade the other two as well. But most likely not until summer.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

The 991.2 standard radiators work quite well. I would try it out first to see how hot your car gets, even with the tune.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Also want to know about track temps after the tune. Potential PDK problems are also what is keeping me away from tunes at the moment.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

I'm definitely going to add a center 3rd radiator since the car doesn't have one and i want the best cooling available but that's because the car is very much track oriented; i may however decide to go with the full PWR setup though similar to what's shown in the photo because the OE center 3rd radiator costs almost the same as the PWR unit. We have discussed how the intercoolers are instrumental in maintaining power levels but we are concerned about things like engine oil temps, PDK fluid temps and gear stack temps so i want to add more coolant to the system and better radiators to lower coolant temps as much as possible. These cars rely heavily on the coolant in their corresponding heat exchangers and i'm trying to maximize the potential for as many things as i can.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:04 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

With the third radiator at Willow Springs ( 109F) oil never got above 244F.
Post tune at Laguna Seca (80F) oil never got above 241F.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Will the PWR centre radiator work with the stock outside two? If not, I was thinking to upgrade the outside two first. I want to wait for someone to offer a proper kit for the centre one as I have ACC. I don't want to buy the PWR centre one and not be able to get the parts to make it fit. Or worse find out Porsche won't sell them, and I have to buy the factory centre one just to get the fittings to make it all work. I don't want to be first.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Will the PWR centre radiator work with the stock outside two? If not, I was thinking to upgrade the outside two first. I want to wait for someone to offer a proper kit for the centre one as I have ACC. I don't want to buy the PWR centre one and not be able to get the parts to make it fit. Or worse find out Porsche won't sell them, and I have to buy the factory centre one just to get the fittings to make it all work. I don't want to be first.
I will take one for the team. I will start with the center but to be honest, i have no idea how to address the ACC issue. On one hand i would suggest removing it and coding it out with the PIWIS since it's a track car now and not a street car; on the other, i wonder what lengths that thing would go to in order to stay glued to the *** of a GT3 and would be keen to see a back to back test done! That system amazes me how it will come to a dead stop and then resume the speed it was going once the car in front of you resumes.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I will take one for the team. i wonder what lengths that thing would go to in order to stay glued to the *** of a GT3 and would be keen to see a back to back test done! That system amazes me how it will come to a dead stop and then resume the speed it was going once the car in front of you resumes.
Hahahaha, You recon set the ACC on him and just hang on. Bahahaha.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Vektor

They make these nearby. Can't say enough nice things about the owner.
I took these about a month ago. The Porsche "Log Manifolds" (a bean counter win) are really a shame on a car costing as much as it does. And the VEKTOR pieces work, out of the box.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:06 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
I took these about a month ago. The Porsche "Log Manifolds" (a bean counter win) are really a shame on a car costing as much as it does. And the VEKTOR pieces work, out of the box.

Need more info! How has sound changed? Much of a hp increase?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Don't worry...i ordered you a spare bypass pipe from Cargraphic with and without 200 cell cats that will finally arrive Friday; I have a feeling though that you will want either one about 5 minutes after i dyno the catless version.

I also just received a set of trick lowering springs with a shaft body that turns the OE PASM shocks into coilovers and when I order my DSC controller from my longtime friends at TPC racing I will finally have the stiffer OE style programmable PASM suspension with variable ride height that I've wanted for 5 years.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-17-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:07 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
All is revealed here:

https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...e-911-carrera/
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
Theres nothing wrong with well designed log manifolds (and the Porsche ones are well designed) they are very durable and doubled skinned for heat management. They are clearly not restrictive e.g. 100HP gain on the GTS with tune only.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread