Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Michelin Alpins year-round..can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Using Michelin Alpins year-round..can I do it?

We've seen many threads about using summer tires in the winter, but I haven't noticed many concerning topic.

The reasons:
1. Cost. I have to shell out about 300 bones each swap. I know not a fortune but adds up.
2. Comfort. I actually find the Alpins to be softer and the noise quality better.
3. Convenience. See number 1. Basically saves me a trip to the dealer. I don't trust any regular outfit to change my tires as I have centerlock wheels. I won't get into the dealer messing up my centerbolts anyways..thats another topic that's already being discussed. But, at least I know if something happens I'm "covered."

So there you have it. So what are the downsides? I am not one who goes flat out on every corner and never track my car btw. Anyone actually running like this in the real-world?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Was going to suggest picking up a spare set of wheels to mount the Alpins on until I saw you have centerlocks. Then I concluded that you should be able to afford the $300 each time without complaint :P lol
Old 03-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Tomcatz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Speed Rating - V rated - in case you go over 149MPH ;-)
2. Wear. PA4's are not UTOG rated to my knowledge. My personal experience is when they get summertime hot the tread disappears even faster then on the summer tires, much faster.
3. Road adhesion and cornering on the PA4's pretty remarkable for a winter tire, but not compared to the summer tires.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can do it. Let us know what new set of tires you choose next winter after you run through the Alpins this summer!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

Better to get a second set of wheels with summer tires instead of running winter tires all year.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Better to get a second set of wheels with summer tires instead of running winter tires all year.
+1
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
Yes, you can do it. Let us know what new set of tires you choose next winter after you run through the Alpins this summer!
This.

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

One alternative is to get a set of all season tires (although it might be a challenge to find OEM sizes). The AS tires, in general, are a compromise at the margins, but if you're not driving the car that hard, they may be just what you need.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

I know here in TN when I drive on winters I notice the PSI's noticeably increase on warm days.

I would not want to be on winters and drive sportingly during the summer months.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche owners aren’t what they used to be.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I faced the same dilemma as the OP. Where I live, winter tires are appropriate for 1/2 the year or more. I decided to mount Michelin Pilot Alpins on my OE centerlock wheels and buy new wheels for my summer rubber.

You certainly can keep winter tires on your car all year, but as mentioned above, the tread life will be dramatically reduced. I haven’t seen any comparisons of stopping distance between summer and winter rubber in hot weather, but I have to believe that the winter tires won’t perform as well.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye
Porsche owners aren’t what they used to be.
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh.
Maybe she should get a nice Subaru?
Just buy some Michelin as4, had them on my M5 and are great in cold/wet.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

They make "all weather" tires now, which are winter rated and have a little snowflake/mountain symbol, on them. That seems like the right solution for you.

I once ran winter tires for a full year. They'd worn down to where I knew I couldn't use them the following winter and I thought I was being thrifty by using them through the summer to use up the tread.

It was awful. The handling in warm weather was terrible. They just slid if you pushed them even a little bit, and not in a fun way. It sucked all the fun out of driving a fun car. If this doesn't bother you, then you seem to be driving the wrong car entirely.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Lots of things you can do that you should not.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Years ago, I took over a lease on a 2006 M Coupe with only 7 months left in the term. The car had winter tires mounted and the summers were nearly bald, so I just went with it. I drove it all through the summer of 2009 on the winter tires. It was "fine."

However, here is a more recent anecdote. On my way home from work yesterday, daily driver (Golf R) on my Michelin PA4's, I managed to get two flat tires simultaneously. Fortunately, I was only a couple of KM's from home. Winter isn't officially over here in Calgary as of yet, in fact, 5-10 cm of snow are supposed to arrive on Friday. But, my PA4's are toast anyway and were going to be replaced for next winter, so I just decided to throw my summer wheels/tires on (they're not even the best summers, just whatever Continental's came with the Golf - will go to Michelins when these are done at the end of the season). Worst-case, I can drive my wife's minivan if I need to go anywhere on Friday.

My point is, there is just this absolute night-and-day difference in the driving feel. I completely fell back in love with my Golf R on the drive to work this morning. And, this isn't really summer tire weather. It's only 5 C here today (about 40 F). But even still, the grip level is far superior to the PA4's.

So, don't do it. Run two sets of wheels! Learn to change them yourself. It's really not that hard.

Quick Reply: Using Michelin Alpins year-round..can I do it?