Sponsored by:

Mild Scolding from a Service Advisor

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bliq00
F That, if I'm being told about tires with a "scolding" tone, it's time to get a new service advisor...
Great point! Last time I was in for a key reprogram on the GT4 the SA looked it over and said, "I can see by the tires you're enjoying the track. That's what they're for." I don't necessarily agree with him -- they're for whatever the guy/gal who paid a hundred large for them thinks they're for -- but I appreciated the sentiment.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I took my car in for inspection on Friday and received a mild scolding from the service advisor about the wear on my tires. He told me they were half worn in the back and that I might consider changing my driving habits. I then asked "What would be the point of having the car?"

Anyway, I was thinking about it. The tires I put on one year ago and they have about 8500 miles on these Michelin Super Sport tires. Normally, I would expect a Michelin tire to wear longer even with spirited driving, but just wanted to know your experience for wear with these tires.
He just wanted you to do some drifting whenever you can, instead of just attacking corners or burnout. That way the fronts half worn too instead of just the back tires. I think that is what he meant about changing driving habits with a Porsche.

PF
Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
He just wanted you to do some drifting whenever you can, instead of just attacking corners or burnout. That way the fronts half worn too instead of just the back tires. I think that is what he meant about changing driving habits with a Porsche.

PF

LOL, indeed! I drive hard on country roads so I am sliding the rear end a bit. I would need an instructor in the car before I would try drifting with a 911. I am still getting used to the driving dynamics of a rear engine car.

A lot of these miles were on the highway - I took it down Skyline Drive to Charleston, beautiful trip, and also to Florida for scalloping season. OMG, diving for fresh scallops and eating them in the back of the boat ceviche style... spring, where are you?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Holy crap. How did you ever miss seeing that?
I took my dad's C4S to the mountains a couple of years ago with the rear cords showing. He had no idea (and it wasn't something I checked before the drive). After some spirited driving the cords started to separate leaving me stranded. He had a spare, but the rear would not fit in the frunk and couldn't put behind the seats due to race seats not reclining. Thankfully he had stock wheels with Sport Cup 2s that he kindly brought to me haha.

Last edited by dkmesa; 03-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Try racing motorcycles. I would go through two sets a race weekend.

Quick Reply: Mild Scolding from a Service Advisor