Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli vs Michelin and noise debunked

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Cheers, Pete. Yes, although popular, I can't see Porsche offering my suggested option/choice either.

Interesting to hear your knowledgeable comments on Pirellis though. I'm no expert at all, but listening to some folks on here who can't wait to get Pirellis off their Porsches, one could get a maybe skewed opinion on the merits of Pirelli...
Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

I find the tire roar from the P zeros and ride quality completely unacceptable to me in my new C4S. This has been noted as well in reviews of the car in magazines. It really detracts from the enjoyment of the car as a daily driver. I realized how bad the noise was after I switched to winter tires which are generally considered to be noisier. So I decided to buy a set of the new Michelins from my dealer and will have them installed a few weeks from now. All the reviews posted here and elsewhere suggest that the Michelins are a much better tire for street driving and in the rain. I really hate wasting money like this and I wish the Michelins had been available as OEM when I bought my car.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Really interesting. I was starting to wonder if I was misled by reading that my new tires were quieter and just expecting it too much, or that the difference between old and new was a big part of it. My commute has different patches of road, some of which create no noise and others that make a lot of noise, so I had that as a reference point. I also have seen (heard) how different noises can appear at slightly different frequencies, so it's hard to really compare the loudness in all cases--sometimes a technically quieter noise can appear louder depending on the tone of it. It's also super hard to record these things without professional equipment, then of course playing that back to judge it by ear is twice removed from the source.

I don't know if it's true that the PS4S tires are "quieter" than the old Pirellis I replaced, but I can for sure say that I "prefer" them on the car and the sounds I hear from the car when at speed, especially on roads that tend to amplify tire noise.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I find the tire roar from the P zeros and ride quality completely unacceptable to me in my new C4S. This has been noted as well in reviews of the car in magazines. It really detracts from the enjoyment of the car as a daily driver. I realized how bad the noise was after I switched to winter tires which are generally considered to be noisier. So I decided to buy a set of the new Michelins from my dealer and will have them installed a few weeks from now. All the reviews posted here and elsewhere suugest that the Michelins are a much better tire for street driving and in the rain.

Another difference in design is the curb protection - this existed on the front tires on my pirelli's but not the rear. On Michelin it is there on all 4. I would recommend learning to drive and not purchasing tires solely because of this but it is a nice to have.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:43 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Another difference in design is the curb protection - this existed on the front tires on my pirelli's but not the rear. On Michelin it is there on all 4. I would recommend learning to drive and not purchasing tires solely because of this but it is a nice to have.
Good to know. I am not planning on running into curbs if I can help it but improvement in ride quality and reduction in noise would be most welcome.
As I said, hate wasting money and wish my car had been equipped with the Michelins as OEM. I had similar problems with my 981 Boxster S and switched the Pirellis to MPSS. Noticed a definite improvement in both ride quality and sound reduction. I could hear the sport exhaust much more clearly after I made the swtich.

Last edited by AnandN; 03-26-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just browsing online tire stores for the tires on our car, and to my surprise most of the tires are cheaper than I thought! I would think they cost twice than that. And then I see they also have Michelin Cup 2 tires for around 1680! These probably will run crazy numbers when equipped on our car! Now I wonder if I should get a set for summer/track use, will I able to get 8k miles from these with 90% normal driving? And does Porsche require factory tires when turning in the lease? Not necessarily sport cup 2 tires, but let’s say I swapped the Oem tires with Michelin PS2, will I get a fine?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for posting the results. Old worn tires are always louder than when new, so comparing new to old is always unfair. But the measurements confirm my subjective impressions.

As for Cup2s, they are noticeably louder than MPSS or MP4S. They do improve traction considerably, though.

Most dealers will insist on N spec tires at lease turn-in, because they can’t sell the car as a CPO unless they are N spec.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Overwhelming feeling here appears to be different than the take on the part of Porsche engineers, who really like the current Pirelli for the 991 and note it offers a lot of performance..
The engineers are tasked with making the car look good in magazine reviews. The best tire for that job may not necessarily be the best tire for you, or me, or Walter Roehrl, or... you get the idea.

Also, the decibel reading is only one dimension to be considered when talking about how "loud" a given set of tires are. Human hearing is very frequency-dependent:

The compounds used on the (original) PZeros and the (contemporary) MPSS tires are radically different, and emit a very different spectrum of racket. It's very possible that a brand-new set of Pirellis would show lower readings than brand-new Michelins on a C-weighted sound level meter, while being judged as louder and more harsh-sounding on a subjective basis. I certainly found the Michelins much easier on the ears when I switched. But I can only speak for the older ones, not the ones shipping today.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:50 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
Thanks for posting the results. Old worn tires are always louder than when new, so comparing new to old is always unfair. But the measurements confirm my subjective impressions.

As for Cup2s, they are noticeably louder than MPSS or MP4S. They do improve traction considerably, though.

Most dealers will insist on N spec tires at lease turn-in, because they can’t sell the car as a CPO unless they are N spec.
Perhaps with leases. I traded in my 981 Boxster S with non N spec MPSS tires. The dealer didn’t raise any issues. In fact, I got more for the trade than I thought I would because the car was bought and serviced by them and was in excellent condition. Didn’t hurt that I also ordered my 911 as part of that transaction. They also sold my Boxster in less than three weeks and it was CPOed.

Quick Reply: Pirelli vs Michelin and noise debunked