Sponsored by:

Long winter, wife's thinks I'm losing it

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

Thank you! It’s just the two of us, and we typically hand-wash our carafe and filter basket even though everything is dishwasher safe (we don’t run the dishwasher frequently enough).

I would likely not opt for the “yeti-like” carafe, but rather the glass carafe. I trust it would not need a brush and I could hand-wash if desired. As for breaking other parts down - do you do that daily (assuming daily use).

I’m looking for something reliable and consistent and relatively simple. We are not “coffee aficionados” as it seems many of you are!

We have a Bunn (it’s our second) but it stopped producing a consistent amount. Sometimes it would brew the full amount of water and sometimes less (by half at times). It was all over the map so it went into the cupboard and hasn’t come out in years. The first one performed well for 3-4 years but then started doing funky stuff with quantities so it was ditched in favor of new - but then started doing the same thing only much sooner in the life span.
Glass vs SS is a preference thing. My reason for the SS is that it keeps the coffee hot for long time and I can take it places. The Glass carafe continues to cook the coffee and it will taste burnt if you don't drink it fast enough. Also - If making breakfast or brunch for company - The Carafe is easy enough to bring to the table to patio and will stay warm. The Glass is not. REAL coffee snobs will demand glass
Old 03-26-2018, 09:26 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

So is the Moccamaster best for all kinds of coffee, or are there some types better suited for certain brewing methods? A friend gifted me several boxes of kopi luwak and I'm a little apprehensive about just throwing it into my Jura Ena. Would French press or Bialetti Mocha express be better? Or just a regular drip coffee maker?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:01 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by kuma1416
So is the Moccamaster best for all kinds of coffee, or are there some types better suited for certain brewing methods? A friend gifted me several boxes of kopi luwak and I'm a little apprehensive about just throwing it into my Jura Ena. Would French press or Bialetti Mocha express be better? Or just a regular drip coffee maker?
It is a very good standard for drip coffee. Adjust your grind for different types of beans.

If it were me, I would take time to make civet cat coffee in either an aeropress or a pour over because I have the techniques nailed to my liking. Probably best to use the method that you have honed in on the best.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:49 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

You put shoes you've worn on the kitchen counter? Shoes off the counter & wipe that counter down, please.

The Moccamaster is great. The Hubster got one a few months ago & the coffee it puts out is delicious.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:21 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Moderator- please move this thread to the Naturally Aspirated Appliance Forum.
Thx.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by macanakey
You put shoes you've worn on the kitchen counter? Shoes off the counter & wipe that counter down, please.

The Moccamaster is great. The Hubster got one a few months ago & the coffee it puts out is delicious.
Sorry mom.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Chemex is good but it doesn't brew at 155.
What do you mean it doesn’t brew? You can brew coffee in the refrigerator have you ever heard of cold brew?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator

What do you mean it doesn’t brew? You can brew coffee in the refrigerator have you ever heard of cold brew?
Look - if you like your coffee like that then go for it. The Chemex brews between 195 & 205. 155 is ridiculous. Also - if you look at the design - it is identical to the moccamaster but if you want to argue then I'll go to the heating element which is copper in the moccamaster and point to one being handmade in europe and one in asia. The chemex is pretty though and I enjoy mine for pour overs. BTW - The chemex carafe works fine in place of the stainless one on the moccamaster.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Cool looking kicks!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Look - if you like your coffee like that then go for it. The Chemex brews between 195 & 205. 155 is ridiculous.
You’ve clearly been paid off by the shadowy creamer consortium that exists to ensure all coffee is acidic enough to need creamer added to it.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator

You’ve clearly been paid off by the shadowy creamer consortium that exists to ensure all coffee is acidic enough to need creamer added to it.
No sir - no creamer touches my coffee; ever!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

No sir - no creamer touches my coffee; ever!
Good call; don’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink alcohol or who puts crap in their coffee!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Look - if you like your coffee like that then go for it. The Chemex brews between 195 & 205. 155 is ridiculous. Also - if you look at the design - it is identical to the moccamaster but if you want to argue then I'll go to the heating element which is copper in the moccamaster and point to one being handmade in europe and one in asia. The chemex is pretty though and I enjoy mine for pour overs. BTW - The chemex carafe works fine in place of the stainless one on the moccamaster.
Great Zeus’s beard ! R Rated was banned What a classic. Banned during a heated (sorry) discussion over the correct pour temperature for coffee. Lol. He’s going to have to get another full time hobby - At 6 posts per day, every day of the year, for the last 2.2 years; it’s a full time job. That’s 175 posts per month. Every month. Commitment.

We miss you R Rated. I know you’re there
Old 03-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

The aformentioned shadowy creamer consortium must have put a hit order on him for not using their products.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Great Zeus’s beard ! R Rated was banned What a classic. Banned during a heated (sorry) discussion over the correct pour temperature for coffee. Lol. He’s going to have to get another full time hobby - At 6 posts per day, every day of the year, for the last 2.2 years; it’s a full time job. That’s 175 posts per month. Every month. Commitment.

We miss you R Rated. I know you’re there
Probably a 1-2 week vacation. But I don't know. I'm sure it was about the "boost sucks" campaign and group sticker buy.

Quick Reply: Long winter, wife's thinks I'm losing it