Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

go.illini's radar detector hard wire install

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:43 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Just did this today on my 981CS. USed the 15" for my Uniden R3. Works great.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:04 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I just finished installing my BlendMount..... easy installation.

My car is a Cabriolet so sliding the credit card in order to open the Light Housing was a little bit more challenging.

The only problem that I had during the installation, was that Blendmount send me the 15" power cord cable with the bigger taps and not the version that you can change taps and use the smaller ones. Solution was to cut the taps through the middle and make them thinner..... they didn't look the best afterwards but the radar is working.

Make sure when you order from Blendmount that they send you the power cord with the interchangeable taps.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:37 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

I don’t want to start a detector conversation. I have used a V1 since it first came out. I see many like the Uniden3 a lot. I may have to buy one and compare. I do get a lot of false alarms with the V1.

I too did the hardwire on my C2. It worked great. I love the location high on the glass.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:36 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Thanks to go.illini's detailed instructions, I just got done installing a Uniden R3 with a BlendMount. The install was straight forward--easy peasy!

Nice job! Looks great.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:02 AM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Thanks

Props for a great write up and pics.

Best

Jan
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

i used the intructions provided. it took about 2 minutes to disassemble, tap and reassemble.

still a great write up.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
i used the intructions provided. it took about 2 minutes to disassemble, tap and reassemble.

still a great write up.
Two minute? Damn. I'll be doing this, once the Uniden R7 comes out. I'm guessing it'll take me a few hours. But I'm slooooooooooow at this sort of stuff.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:43 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the great detailed post. I will be doing this soon.
I assume that this hard wire location shuts all power to the radar detector when the key is off.

Slightly off topic…Mounts.

I currently I use V1 but will look at Uniden R3 to compare. I use the suction cup mount to get it high on Right side of mirror. I do not have any issue with suction cups falling off but would prefer a mount that attaches to the mirror arm but instead of hanging under the mirror, it can be adjusted to be high on right side of mirror as many of you place yours with suction cups or permanent adhesive. Beside preferring a higher mount & not blocking my view, I like putting up a sunshade whenever I park & currently from outside the car, with sunshade in position, the suction cups can be seen so a thief will know something is mounted & may break a window to steal it. With a Blendmount & sunshade in place, it cannot be seen from outside looking through the windshield. But Blendmount & one other mirror mount I found only hang it directly below mirror.

It would probably require an additional arm & flexible joint added to Blendmount.

Has anyone seen anything that will attach securely to mirror arm yet, allow a high right side position for the detector?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

A simple install, but I failed.

Had everything going in okay. Had to use the smallest of the taps, the second to smallest didn't fit. When I was tucking the plug back back in, the red tap broke off, then while trying to see if it was still inside the plug, the black tap also broke off. Gotta say, for a $44 mirror-tap kit, the small taps are extremely flimsy. And I was being very cautious, slow and gentle.

Gonna have to try to remove the pieces of the tap(s) that broke off, if they are still stuck inside the plug. With tweezers, I guess.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Got this done, finally, with my much more mechanically inclined son's help. It also seems to help to have young eyes.

Took about 30 minutes, but we did it very slowly so as not to break the wires again. We used electrical tape to keep the wires from bending at the point where the tap connector sticks out of the tap wiring.

Nice to not have the radar detector wire coming up from the smoking package or passenger foot well sockets. Thanks, OP, for the great instructions - they're perfect.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 AM
FPFaeth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. This was great. Yes, took about 30 minutes. Frank
Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, I went through their website which directed me to the MT-1015 product.

This product does NOT fit and I am frustrated - it won’t go into the blue plug no matter what.
It does not include the multiple sizes of taps.

UPDATE: MirrorTap is sending the MTX-1015 kit with the multiple sizes right away. Kudos to them for the responsive customer service!

Last edited by DerekS; 03-27-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Update on customer service
Old 03-28-2019, 11:13 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Got the replacement today and it worked just fine!

Thanks to the MirrorTap folks, and for the forum people: be sure you get the MTX-1015 not the MT-1015.
You need the X to get the variety of tap sizes. Like others I used the second to the smallest one.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Got the replacement today and it worked just fine!

be sure you get the MTX-1015 not the MT-1015.
You need the X to get the variety of tap sizes. Like others I used the second to the smallest one.
I had the same problem. When I wrote to them, they recommended the MT-1015 and that's what I ended buying. I had to cut part of the metal connectors in order to be able to connect the cables. Cuts weren't pretty but the installation is working.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I’d ordered the MT-1015, but contacted them after seeing the trouble people had had with it and they sent me the MTX-1015 right away. Did the install this afternoon in less than 20 minutes. I had a little trouble prying the connector out of its clip (was being pretty gentle for fear of snapping something), but eventually got it. Then had to wait quite a while for the hair dryer to shrink the shrink wrap tube around the wires. All buttoned up now and looks great. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up these instructions and for all of the people that weighed in on how easy it is.

Mine is paired with a blendmount too. A bit crazy how much they charge, but it’s a quality product.

Quick Reply: go.illini's radar detector hard wire install