Sponsored by:

What do you feed you 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What do you feed you 991.2?

So down here we can get 93 with ethanol or 87 at some place 91 pure with no ethanol.
What would be a better option?
i thought that 91 pure would be better than 93 with.
But how about 87 or 89 pure vs 93 with?

In my bikes it’s always pure, even if it’s 87.
Would that be the same on our 991.2?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:00 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to the manual any fuel of at least 90 octane and up to 15% ethanol may be used.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Buy the highest octane (93) you can find from a busy national chain. Don't worry about 10 ethanol. Octane trumps ethanol.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

93 Octane.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 PM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Highest we get is 91 so Shell 91 it is.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
so higher rather than pure is the call so far.
After opening a few bike engines, the decision is pure any day after seeing that what the ethanol residue.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Shell or BP 93
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What is 93 octane? What is not ethanol gas?? Here is the Krappy Left wing Kalifornia we have Krappy Kalifornia gasoline with nothing over 91 octane standard and it is all Krappy gasohol.... not to mention Krappy blends for different times of the year even if we do not see the seasons change in Krappy Kalifornia. Did I mention that we also have Krappy Kalifornia gas taxes and Krappy Kalifornia outrageous DMV fees?

Abe
Old 03-23-2018, 11:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
What is 93 octane? What is not ethanol gas?? Here is the Krappy Left wing Kalifornia we have Krappy Kalifornia gasoline with nothing over 91 octane standard and it is all Krappy gasohol.... not to mention Krappy blends for different times of the year even if we do not see the seasons change in Krappy Kalifornia. Did I mention that we also have Krappy Kalifornia gas taxes and Krappy Kalifornia outrageous DMV fees?

Abe
93 is the conservatives way at loling at the made up global warming religion.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:23 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I run 94 octane from Chevron here in Vancouver, BC. Its really expensive now, about $1.70 per litre!!
Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroboy
I run 94 octane from Chevron here in Vancouver, BC. Its really expensive now, about $1.70 per litre!!
Let us build our pipelines and perhaps you'll have cheaper fuel 😂

OP, I run 94 on both of my cars. I don't think ethanol is a big deal for modern vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (05-04-2020)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Ethanol does burn a bit hotter and will cause your catalytic converter to go before its time. Shell and Chevron, work well.
In fact my wife was putting Costco gas in my X5M and then I noticed the check engine light came on. I cleared the code
with the reader and back to chevron and the light hasn't come back on. Just one data point
Old 03-24-2018, 02:20 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Oh please. Unless you are specifically looking for gasohol, CA pump gas is 10% ethanol. If OP has a station nearby that sells 101 octane unleaded racing gas, blend some of that into 91 octane unleaded to get to 93 octane with less ethanol content as well. If the knock sensors are kicking in (which you may be able to determine with a code scanner, not sure about the P-cars), increase the blend of 101 octane until the knock sensors aren't activated. Summer has a higher octane requirement than winter, so may have to have two blends.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:35 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

My informed opinion (I work in O&G, but not on the refining/retail side) - you want the brand with the most control over their supply chain from refinery feedstock to pump. Only two brands that I'm aware of have common QC standards across the entire supply pipeline nationwide so that what you use week-to-week has the highest chance of being identical in composition...

As a general rule:

If not in California and in L48...
(1) Shell 93
(2) Chevron 93
(3) Find a Shell or Chevron.
(4) BP is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in the North and East
(5) Texaco is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in the South and East
(6) Exxon is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in most of the country

In Alaska
(1) ConocoPhillips
(2) BP (Arco)

Hawaii
(1) I think all gas in Hawaii is contract refined (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

If in California...
(1) Chevron 91
(2) Shell 91
(3) Valero 91 (Variable Refinery-to-Pump QC)
Price-wise you are SoL because Chevron and Andeavor control most of the (very limited) refining capacity - and CA blends are generally only used there.

From what I've read and seen in some SPE presentations - Shell, Chevron, Exxon have the most advanced detergent / additive packages as of right now (in that order) - BP, CoP/Phillips66, Marathon are next - the contract products are 3rd and generally all meet Top Tier.

In a pinch - any Top-Tier formulation will be fine - but a lot of "slack" is built into the quality standards to allow for variance in refined products.

cheers!
Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
My informed opinion (I work in O&G, but not on the refining/retail side) - you want the brand with the most control over their supply chain from refinery feedstock to pump. Only two brands that I'm aware of have common QC standards across the entire supply pipeline nationwide so that what you use week-to-week has the highest chance of being identical in composition...

As a general rule:

If not in California and in L48...
(1) Shell 93
(2) Chevron 93
(3) Find a Shell or Chevron.
(4) BP is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in the North and East
(5) Texaco is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in the South and East
(6) Exxon is generally good (no sub-contracted supply) in most of the country

In Alaska
(1) ConocoPhillips
(2) BP (Arco)

Hawaii
(1) I think all gas in Hawaii is contract refined (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

If in California...
(1) Chevron 91
(2) Shell 91
(3) Valero 91 (Variable Refinery-to-Pump QC)
Price-wise you are SoL because Chevron and Andeavor control most of the (very limited) refining capacity - and CA blends are generally only used there.

From what I've read and seen in some SPE presentations - Shell, Chevron, Exxon have the most advanced detergent / additive packages as of right now (in that order) - BP, CoP/Phillips66, Marathon are next - the contract products are 3rd and generally all meet Top Tier.

In a pinch - any Top-Tier formulation will be fine - but a lot of "slack" is built into the quality standards to allow for variance in refined products.

cheers!
great data, thank you.
I guess the hunt for pure is no longer needed. That would make it much easier for me to find a Shell bs Pure.
Btw, there is a great App for pure gas I use.

Quick Reply: What do you feed you 991.2?