Introduction and request for advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 AM
ialzein
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and request for advice

Hi,

I don't know why or when it started, and I definitely don't know how, but as far as I can remember I always wanted one. Even when my friends would say it looks like a beetle and spend hours admiring the sleek looks of a Ferrari or hang posters of the beautiful Countach, I stuck the Porsche logo on my wall clock.
Then, I actually gotten the opportunity to sit in one, a dark navy blue '88 964 C2 and I was even more hooked, the rigidness, the sound of the door handle clicking as it opened, and the snug feeling as I sat inside and the total isolation and general feel good I had as I closed the door, I was 16 then. And that's when I knew most definitely I HAD to have one. The 997 Ad just speaks to me in so many ways it's unbelievable.
Fast forward 30 years and for the first time in my life I am in a position to make a purchase, and boy what a feeling I have, I can kick the boy in a candy store cliche out of the water thousand times over.

Now here's the dilemma, after waiting for so long I want to make the best choice and I am torn in between three options.
I am looking at the following:

- '17 Carrera S Cabriolet with 8,000 miles Graphite Blue Metallic
-'14 TTS 5,000 miles
-'13 C4S Cabriolet with 12,000 miles

Now, the '17 CS and the TTS are more or less the same price, whereas the C4S is about 35% less.
I heard the saying that when deciding on a Porsche go with the newest one you can afford but I seem to not be able to make up my mind on which one to go with, I would love a cabriolet, having the new look with the turbo engine in the 991.2 is also intriguing, but the TTS is a TTS, I mean I never had one, and there's a huge difference between being a lifelong enthusiast and actually owning one, and the factor that the C4S will have the lowest investment plus lowest depreciation relatively is sort of tugging me towards it.
Question is, am I missing something by going with the 991.1 C4S Cab instead of the 991.2 CS Cab? Is the TTS being the non Cab worth it? I know Turbos tend to depreciate less but will this be true when all of the 991's are turbocharged with very small difference in performance?
I am literally on the brink of making the purchase once I make up my mind and I just can't wait to take it on the first spin however I don't want to be conflicted or have a what-if moments that's why I am here asking for much appreciated insights and advice.

[INSERT] long time lurker text here [/INSERT]

Many many many thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Tree dot ate.

Get the NA.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I would go with the least cost option. Sometimes the dream of having is much better than the reality. You can always trade up. Also, if you have not owned a 911, I think that owning a NA car is part of the journey. Again, you can always trade up. No matter what your decision, you really can't go wrong. Good luck and do let us know of your final decision.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually the 991.1 Turbo S depreciates quite a bit, it had a reputation for being overproduced and heavily discounted. That doesn't mean it's a bad car, it's definitely a monster. The 991.2 Turbo S has a lot of improvements and is more rare.

The 991.2 cab can get a serious performance bump with nothing but a cheap tune, so keep that in mind. The .2 also has several other improvements.

And call me crazy but I much prefer the newer turbo engines to the previous gen NA engines. The only NA engine I liked from previous gens was the GT3 (which I had), but every NA S I tried just felt underpowered so I always got a higher model like a turbo or the GT3. The new turbo 3.0 solves that problem.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

How sure are you that you'll be happy with a cab?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 AM
ialzein
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the precious and most valued input.
As we speak, the car is being inspected bumper to bumper at Porsche service centre, if everything checks out, come tomorrow I will have the biggest grin I had and she will be mine after the paperwork.

I have decided on the NA C4S, the cheapest. I would upgrade if I wanted to without risking bigger depreciation, and call me childish but I have this fear of the let down on meeting my childhood hero so I’m playing it as safe as I can (might not be smarter on the longer run but this is the beginning of the journey)

what makes me sure a cabriolet is let is what I want, well it will be a weekend driver since I’m out of town on weekdays, the allure of a convertible to me right now is very appealing, no real solid reason really, I’m just enjoying the ride for now and trying to learn.

here are a couple of pics, I’m beyond thrilled

Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Great combo! GL
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a pretty car. I've only ever had coupes, never even sat in a Cab. i think i'd like to try it some day. Good luck and welcome to Rennlist!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats, that looks great!! You won't be disappointed with the cab. I just bought a 991.2 GTS cab after only ever owning coupes, and dropping the top never gets old. I think from now on I'll always have a cab. With the 991, you really don't give up anything by going for a cab since the chassis is so incredibly stiff. It handles just like the coupes pretty much.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the color combo! Congrats!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:03 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should drive all three cars and buy the one you like the most. Don't let strangers pick your car.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride. I recently sold my '06 4S Cab which was / is a wonderful car. There was no wrong choice here.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great color combo! And props on the NA pick

Quick Reply: Introduction and request for advice