Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone Mount & Apple Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Better yet would be for Apple to incorporate some of Waze features into Map. Anything new on that front?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I find it quite simple to just plug it in under the armrest and like the uncluttered look without a mount and running a wire.

I do find it fun how the text reader describes some of the emojis when it is reading a text. I got "smiling pile of poo" the other day. lol
Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
No no, I mean attaching a ferrous plate on the back of the phone, over the receiving coil, will disrupt the coupling between the transmitting coil of the charger and the receiving coil in the phone. Four generations of Samsung Galaxy phones and now the iPhone have glass backs to allow wireless charging.
You can mount the ferrous plate to the back of a case that you use when driving the car, which easily solves that problem. There are also cases available that have enough metal in them to be magnetically attracted to the mount, though not as strongly as the ferrous plate.

By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and it appears to have a plastic back, though perhaps I'm mistaken.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking Big Thanks to ATLBond! Re: Modified Rennline Cell Phone Mount

I had installed a Rennline cellphone mount which I coupled with an Ottie Qi wireless charging cradle and loved the convenience of quickly mounting and un-mounting the phone as well as easy wireless charging. The bracket supplied by Rennline places the pivot ball over the PCM which allows the phone to block the right side of the PCM display (this happens even if you use the magnetic mount they provide as part of the kit). With the help of ATLBond who in turn was provided a design by ValveFloat991, I sourced an alternative mounting bracket which places the pivot ball to the right and also higher up and now the phone cradle no longer blocks the right side controls nor the right edge of the PCM display. It's too bad that the Rennline mount does not come this way from the start.

Notice the blocked out right side controls as well as the right edge of the PCM) with the supplied Rennline bracket.

Here is my setup with the modified bracket installed. (PCM display and right side controls no longer blocked by phone/cradle). Far superior to the original Rennline design. Best of both worlds this way as no part of the PCM or the the right side controls are blocked any longer. I'm very pleased with the setup now!

The following users liked this post:
99-911 (11-08-2023)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I plug mine in and toss it in the back seat. Install so clean you cant even see the phone.
The car play interface is enough. Stupid phone is only going to ruin my drive anyhow if I can see it.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Donald Janes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate Rennline phone bracket

Originally Posted by achtung6
I had installed a Rennline cellphone mount which I coupled with an Ottie Qi wireless charging cradle and loved the convenience of quickly mounting and un-mounting the phone as well as easy wireless charging. The bracket supplied by Rennline places the pivot ball over the PCM which allows the phone to block the right side of the PCM display (this happens even if you use the magnetic mount they provide as part of the kit). With the help of ATLBond who in turn was provided a design by ValveFloat991, I sourced an alternative mounting bracket which places the pivot ball to the right and also higher up and now the phone cradle no longer blocks the right side controls nor the right edge of the PCM display. It's too bad that the Rennline mount does not come this way from the start.

Notice the blocked out right side controls as well as the right edge of the PCM) with the supplied Rennline bracket.

Here is my setup with the modified bracket installed. (PCM display and right side controls no longer blocked by phone/cradle). Far superior to the original Rennline design. Best of both worlds this way as no part of the PCM or the the right side controls are blocked any longer. I'm very pleased with the setup now!

You state that you were able to source this alternate Rennline bracket. This seems exactly what I need. Can you tell me where you sourced?
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Janes
You state that you were able to source this alternate Rennline bracket. This seems exactly what I need. Can you tell me where you sourced?
I am wondering the exact same thing. Where can I source this bracket?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 PM
achtung6
Racer

Sorry for the double post, see my answer below.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 PM
achtung6
Racer

Originally Posted by doclouie

I am wondering the exact same thing. Where can I source this bracket?
The alternate Rennline bracket was produced from a CAD drawing created by Valvefloat991. A very generous member here on the forum happened to have had one fabricated from Valvefloat's design and sold it to me. If you have access to a machine shop, then can easily stamp out a metal plate using the CAD drawing. In the end, I only ended up using the aluminum pivot ball from the Rennline kit as I really wanted wireless charging and a secure cradle. The end product is very usable but not as clean as other solutions. What it lacks in elegance, it more than makes up for in usability. Placing the phone in the cradle or removing it is a one handed operation and as soon as it's in there, it's charging. All while allowing me to view the display for Waze, etc without blocking the screen on the PCM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

The alternate Rennline bracket was produced from a CAD drawing created by Valvefloat991. A very generous member here on the forum happened to have had one fabricated from Valvefloat's design and sold it to me. If you have access to a machine shop, then can easily stamp out a metal plate using the CAD drawing. In the end, I only ended up using the aluminum pivot ball from the Rennline kit as I really wanted wireless charging and a secure cradle. The end product is very usable but not as clean as other solutions. What it lacks in elegance, it more than makes up for in usability. Placing the phone in the cradle or removing it is a one handed operation and as soon as it's in there, it's charging. All while allowing me to view the display for Waze, etc without blocking the screen on the PCM.
I actually do have access to a shop. Do you mind sharing the CAD file?
Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM
tazmwl
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally used the Anker PowerWave Wireless Car Charger with the included vent mount, it worked ok but made it more difficult to use the touch screen. I purchased the Rennline Dash Phone Mount but didn't want to use the magnetic holder. The Anker PowerWave is an exact fit with the Rennline mounting ball. I think it could be enhanced a little bit more with the correct 90 degree USB - Micro cable.

Anker PowerWave fits Rennline dash mount

90 degree USB

The 90 degree micro cable provides more clearance to reach controls and the slack allows me to rotate phone to landscape mode

Clean solid mount, does block cupholder
Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 AM
chrisgo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to see if I can frankenstein a wireless charger to this Rennline mount (planning on high passenger side), maybe with valvefloat991 mod.

Previously, I had been using glue gun / superglue / screws between the following products to get an iPhone XS to get wireless charging on a Maserati Ghibli.

On the Maserati Ghibli:

1) http://amzn.com/B01FYBDCTU
  • Bottom goes into the cupholder on console
  • The ball is on the end of the gooseneck.
  • Nut comes off and the cup with the magnetic head comes off
  • Remove cup (this goes on the ball) from magnetic head (permanent damage)
2) http://amzn.com/are3kqZB
  • Discard the base (the one that sticks to the vehicle)
  • Removed the "clip" from magnetic wireless charging head (permanent damage)
  • Super-glue the cup from previous product into back of magnetic wireless charging head
  • Add 4 small metal screws on the outer ring to hold everything together (glue was not enough to keep)
  • The metal part that goes on your phone is a "ring" (hole in the middle) and not a plate so wireless charging will work
  • The ring is ugly - it's a cheap silver metal ring
3) http://amzn.com/B0759JNCJ3
  • Don't really like phone cases but this hides the ugly metal ring
  • Just use painter tape to hold the ring against the case
  • Case goes on the phone and seems to be ok
Maybe somebody can think of a good way to get the rennlist bracket + valvefloat991 + these pieces to come up with a wireless charging iPhone mount for the 991 (just got this). I'm thinking that maybe you can just rip the cup off the Rennlist magnetic head and figure out a way to attach it to the magnetic wireless charging head?

The Maserati mount is not the awesome but it works (really need to clean this up)

Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 PM
chrisgo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who want to use the Rennline mount (the one with the silver ball) AND have wireless charging, this somehow magically worked

http://amzn.com/B07DR9G4NL ($22)

Not sure how good the wireless charging portion works yet but the "mechanical" part fits the Rennline mount without any modifications

The problem though is I have it plugged into a USB in the passenger foot area (under the glove) and it is always ON (the charging circle is lit -- see photo) which may drain the battery. Anybody know how to make the 12V in the passenger foot well be on "switched" power? Only ON when the vehicle is running?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

All sockets turn off after about 10-15 minutes. Leave the car with the charger in the socket and come back in 20 minutes and it should be off.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:40 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you @achtung6 for posting, This what I've been looking for..

@ATLBond & @Valvefloat991 I'd highly appreciate if you can point me in the right direction to source this bracket or the closest alternative.

Quick Reply: iPhone Mount & Apple Car Play