Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   I'm back, well, maybe! 911T? Spyder? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059093-im-back-well-maybe-911t-spyder.html)

AMGsound 03-22-2018 03:49 PM

I'm back, well, maybe! 911T? Spyder?

After "life got in the way", as some of you have experienced, i'm back looking for a Porsche ride. Currently "driving" a Bimmer 320. It is what it is.

Past P: 2008 Cayman, bare bone, 5MT. Go-kart. 2012 991 S Agate. Nice upgrade to the "legend". 2015 991.1 GT3 Guards Red. War machine. After settling down, it's hitching again to get behind the P wheel. Maybe something to do with spring that we may see some day!

Present: Living in the city, walk to work daily. Drive around mostly with/for the kids when they're with me. Otherwise we're just 2. Important disclosure: Kids still fit in rear 911 seats for 2-3 more years!

Many 1st world problems/questions here:
I can get my hands on a 2016 Cayenne Diesel. 14k mi. Good deal, nice comfortable reliable truck but on 19in wheels. "Old" generation, but big chunk of depreciation gone. Not "exiting", but good daily ride, until I can get my hands on a "real" Porsche again. If ever.
or
Spyder? I'm on the list for next gen. I'm off the list if 4cyl turbo. But even then, no room for the boys. But has the potential of bringing me back to GT3 excitement.With this option, need 2 cars. Bimmer may be safe! No pricing yet, but will be well in 911 territory for sure.
or
911: Saw a 991.2 GT3 @ the dealer last night. Sat in it. Started the engine. Big mistake. You guys who get to afford and buy one of these GT3 and cherish them and more importantly drive them are very lucky! But like I said, I didn't try to get allocation. Very humbly, it's out of my league right now.
But a 911 T? As much as I think all 911s are truly AWESOME cars, I prefer the "special/limited" editions. If it's just for my personal view that you get less of a financial hit when you trade them, less supply. Maybe! Time will tell!
Obviously more expensive than a Cayenne Diesel, but I can probably drive it year-round up here with a good set of winters, MT, "raw" feel, or so they say, can have the whole crew in the car, go for w-e. Rent a truck for the 2-3-4 ski w-e. Like many reviewers mentioned, maybe it's the non-GT 911 to own and drive and enjoy? Can I get an allocation is another good question!

Wait for 992? I find they are increasing prices rather aggressively with new models. Up here in Canada, you could get a nicely equipped Cayenne S in 2012 for C$90k. New gen starts @ C$93k. C$115k-120k when i'm done on the config. Performance of a 958.2 GTS, C$10k cheaper. But I can't wrap my head around paying C$120k for a "truck". But a 911? YES!

And I have this work friend who always goes: "That's what you work for, do it, you only live once"

Im sure you guys have had similar questions, would like to hear you're feedback on my "case". While I'm thinking about it, maybe my shrink could help too!

Scorponok 03-22-2018 09:14 PM

The answer is easy to me ... 911T.

subshooter 03-22-2018 09:49 PM

The easy answer for me is the Spyder. I own a new 911 and a 981. I would take the Spyder over both and the Boxster over the 911. ...unless of course Porsche screws up and puts a 4 cylinder engine in it. SMH. I hope they are reading the market right. If I could get an allocation for a GT3, I'd get that over all of them.

sampelligrino 03-22-2018 11:02 PM

Based on what you just said OP, I would go with the 911T

Seems like the ultimate middle ground between Cayenne Diesel and Boxster Spyder, and out of the three I would take the 911T, after reading your personal situation, I would *definitely* go for the T

I have great memories being a kid in the backseat of my old man's 911, the T can have rear seats, and to me the 911 to me is the greatest sports car in the world, it does everything top to bottom so well, so unless you already had a 911 in the garage, it *has* to be a 911 :)

The T right now also is really appealing given how difficult the GT models are to get, and you can get that special edition T on the base 911 which *in my opinion* has the most fun engine in the Carrera lineup. And unless you really love the direction the 992 is headed, I would grab a 991.2 while you still can.

Bemo 03-22-2018 11:32 PM

How about a used NA911 since the sound of the GT3 apparently made a big impression upon you, as it should have? The 3.8L will be close but not the same, the 3.0T further back..

The new turbo engines are wicked fast but left me somewhat underwhelmed in the sound department...

Maybe drive all of them and go with the heart, screw the brain

AMGsound 03-23-2018 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 14890380)

Seems like the ultimate middle ground between Cayenne Diesel and Boxster Spyder, and out of the three I would take the 911T, after reading your personal situation, I would *definitely* go for the T

I have great memories being a kid in the backseat of my old man's 911, the T can have rear seats, and to me the 911 to me is the greatest sports car in the world, it does everything top to bottom so well, so unless you already had a 911 in the garage, it *has* to be a 911 :)

The T right now also is really appealing given how difficult the GT models are to get, and you can get that special edition T on the base 911 which *in my opinion* has the most fun engine in the Carrera lineup. And unless you really love the direction the 992 is headed, I would grab a 991.2 while you still can.

Im not sure I like the 992 direction (seems like we only see the "4" models with the LED strip all across - looks like the X Men who can't see?!) but Porsche goes in one direction and usually, the crowd follows. I LOVE and have huge respect for the history, the brand, the company, the products. Mission E? Sure, amazing, I may one day order one.
In the meantime, I'm getting old, so the sound of a V8 or an NA flat six, just special!
I can get a T allocation for September build. Would give me a little more time to earn those hard earned $ too!
I'm told they are not very popular at all and I'm dealing with one of the largest dealer up in Canada. I really like that tidbit of info; even less supply than I expected down the road!
As for those back seats, im with you! They loved 'em in the 991.1 S, and they even preferred the S to the GT3 overall because they were sitting in it much more. GT3 IS a better car, no questions, but enjoying a 911 for an 8 yrs old boy, I totally get their point of view. But they also love the Cayenne D!

Lets see what NY auto show brings as for Spyder and maybe things get simple!

AMGsound 03-23-2018 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 14890380)

Originally Posted by Bemo (Post 14890460)
How about a used NA911 since the sound of the GT3 apparently made a big impression upon you, as it should have? The 3.8L will be close but not the same, the 3.0T further back..

The new turbo engines are wicked fast but left me somewhat underwhelmed in the sound department...

Maybe drive all of them and go with the heart, screw the brain

True that 991.1s are another great option. I saw/heard a 991.2 GTS passing by and going down a street on compression. Those pops and cracks .... please stop it.... it's almost annoying. My old 2010 C63 did some once in a while, not always. 991.1, no PSE, almost never, GT3 not so much at all. Loud, oh yes, but "real"!. Now, X3 M40 pops and cracks like a V8 Jag like a 991.2 GTS like an RR SVR...come on...

On 991.2, with PSE, is it always "on" or on "sport" only? Or PSE activated?
screw the brain, I like your style!

thanks for the reply!

TorqueChap 03-23-2018 02:23 PM

911T

Needsdecaf 03-23-2018 03:36 PM

I own a Cayenne Diesel and a 911 C2 S Cab. The Cayenne is a wonderful vehicle. We've driven it 60 k miles in almost 5 years including several long road trips. My wife loves it to pieces. It's her daily and every time I drive it I remember how nice it is.

It's not a 911.

Forget about a new Boxster Spyder. If you don't have a deposit now, you have zero shot of getting one, unless you are willing to pay ridiculous markup. Plus no room for the kids. My kids still fit in the back and they love the 911, especially since it's a Cab.

Being in Canada, I'd get a 991.2 C4 or C4S. Proper beast on snows. The turbo engine with the AWD has enough grunt in base model. AWD is almost no compromise. And the turbo engine isn't quite as sonorous as the NA Engines, but it's still lovely.

Nick Murray, a user on here and also of YouTube fame, picked up a 991.2 C4S a year ago which replaced his old 991.1 C2S and he loves it. Drives in the snow like a maniac.

To me the T is only great as it's intended..,a lightweight stripper. Cool car if that's your spec but with two kids and snow...id go with a C4 and something more luxurious.

Good luck!

arter 03-23-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by AMGsound (Post 14890585)
On 991.2, with PSE, is it always "on" or on "sport" only? Or PSE activated?

pops only on in sport. normal and sport + dont do that.

pitt911 03-23-2018 04:47 PM

problem with Spyder option is being on a list does not mean anything. If it has 4 cylinders , you don't want it, if it has some version of 4.0 GT3 engine , it will be in very high demand and probably very difficult to get one
suggest .1 991 4 GTS , great sound and you can drive year round

koala 03-23-2018 07:54 PM

If it were a daily driver here in Canada, I'd want the C4.

Needsdecaf 03-24-2018 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by pitt911
problem with Spyder option is being on a list does not mean anything. If it has 4 cylinders , you don't want it, if it has some version of 4.0 GT3 engine , it will be in very high demand and probably very difficult to get one
suggest .1 991 4 GTS , great sound and you can drive year round

The Spyder is getting the 4.0 engine, detuned. Therefore it will be unobtanium.

AMGsound 04-24-2018 03:22 PM

Not the proper forum section anymore, but I've shifted my search to something else: White 2016 Cayenne GTS or Black 2016 Panamera GTS! Not exactly same price, but close enough. Cayenne is perfect for everyday's needs with 2 young teens. Panamera is just ... awesome. Sound. Feels. Looks. Exclusivity vs Cayenne. But not as good for vacations, ski gear, bike gear, etc.
Also, I think Panamera with NA V8 will prevent me from wanting to get another GT3 for longer than the Cayenne will. As I previously owned a '15 GT3, I know GT3 and Panny GTS are not in the same league, but they both have soul, whereas the Cayenne GTS lost some of it when they took away 2 cylinders. And it doesn't have the same gearbox.
Also, full disclosure, like I said when I started the thread, "life got in the way", so I feel closer to hard earned $ since half just disappeared and I feel like the Panamera is a better financial buy now. NA V8, VERY expensive new generation (so is Cayenne). Already took a good chunk of depreciation hit. Cayenne too for that matter.

I'm kinda answering my own questions/doubts, but still want to hear your thoughts!

alex_c 04-24-2018 11:51 PM

If you can keep your eyes closed while getting in the Panamera, you will be ok. It looks really nice inside. But that exterior... Then again, that is one good reason why the older gen Panamera's prices have dropped like a rock. Of the two, I would take the Cayenne. Even better, a Macan that looks way better. And if you need to carry even more stuff, worst case scenario, but a roofbox while going skying.