Sponsored by:

KI Studios Headlight Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default KI Studios Headlight Trim

KI Studios now has metallic black headlight trim on their website. I did some research and found that this color is the closest to the OEM black headlight lens ‘ring’ that is available. I called KI and they said they could get the material and cut it for me. They did just that and it is now on my GTS and is available on their website. If you are like I, I thought the configurator ‘bi-xenon in black’ meant the headlight would have the black trim rings on them. Not so as I found out when my GTS was delivered. However now that I have the KI Studios metallic black trim rings on my GTS I am a happy camper. Looks great and way less $$ than the PDLS+ option. YMMV.

https://kistudios.com/product/porsch...eadlight-trim/
Old 03-21-2018, 12:57 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Great job, thanks for the service to all. On Carmine it's a must, and most others IMO.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _RS_
Great find, thanks for sharing. On Carmine it's a must, and most others IMO.
I agree. My GTS is Carmine and it just did not look right with the silver trim. With other colors you could get away with silver, but Carmine needs the black trim.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
KI Studios now has metallic black headlight trim on their website. I did some research and found that this color is the closest to the OEM black headlight lens ‘ring’ that is available. I called KI and they said they could get the material and cut it for me. They did just that and it is now on my GTS and is available on their website. If you are like I, I thought the configurator ‘bi-xenon in black’ meant the headlight would have the black trim rings on them. Not so as I found out when my GTS was delivered. However now that I have the KI Studios metallic black trim rings on my GTS I am a happy camper. Looks great and way less $$ than the PDLS+ option. YMMV.

https://kistudios.com/product/porsch...eadlight-trim/
Any picture with the black metallic on your GTS?
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paxton
Any picture with the black metallic on your GTS?
Thanks!
Lighting sux but here are a few. The trim is just a little darker than OEM but close enough. Like OEM, its color can change from a dark gray to black depending on lighting. I've attached a couple of pictures but as stated the lighting is not the best. Once it stops snowing and I can get my car out of the garage I'll take some pics in natural light.

Trim compared to the silver that came on my GTS:

Installed:

Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Lighting sux but here are a few. The trim is just a little darker than OEM but close enough. Like OEM, its color can change from a dark gray to black depending on lighting. I've attached a couple of pictures but as stated the lighting is not the best. Once it stops snowing and I can get my car out of the garage I'll take some pics in natural light.

Trim compared to the silver that came on my GTS:

Installed:

Thanks, looks great!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That looks really good, and the LED's could actually stand to be a smidge darker w/o upsetting anything anyway. After flick's journey with the headlight trim, I'm sure he would tell you the trim piece must be metallic black to work. The solid blacks or grays just don't work.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
That looks really good, and the LED's could actually stand to be a smidge darker w/o upsetting anything anyway. After flicks journey with the headlight trim, I'm sure he would tell you the trim piece must be metallic black to work. The solid blacks or grays just don't work.
That is true...a new flavor that KI has, metallic black. I bet I put on 4 different colors, none of which was right, until I found this one.

What happened was, since I didn’t like any of KI’s color choices, I called KI and asked what brand material they use. Once I had that info I went online and looked at a color chart and found metallic black might be the best choice. After that I googled the manufacturer of the film and found they had a distributor in Atlanta. So I called them up, mind you I’m just a consumer, and talked to a very nice lady in customer service and asked if I could get a sample of metallic black. She said ‘sure’, and OVERNIGHTED the sample to me. Once I saw it I knew that was it, so I called KIand asked if they could get that color and was told ‘no problem’. Once I installed it, it was such a close match to OEM and looked great so I called KI back and said they should consider adding that color to their color list as it is such a close match to OEM. They said ‘great idea, we’ll do that on the next website revision’. So as Paul Harvey used to say, ‘and now you know the rest of the story’. And also an illustration that being OCD isn’t all bad sometimes
The following users liked this post:
WINSKIGT3T (01-23-2021)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:50 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Here are some shots in natural daylight. I really like the way they came out.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

I just installed the black metallic on my white car, love the finished product, can't go wrong for $65!
Thanks again Flickroll for all the research / trial & error.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paxton
I just installed the black metallic on my white car, love the finished product, can't go wrong for $65!
Thanks again Flickroll for all the research / trial & error.
Looks GREAT Paxton!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Looks GREAT Paxton!
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Are these on top of PPF on anybody’s lights?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
Are these on top of PPF on anybody’s lights?
No PPF on mine but I'd assume this should be no problem.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:47 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Easy to install?

Quick Reply: KI Studios Headlight Trim