Sponsored by:

KI Studios Headlight Trim

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM
paxton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caritch
Looks great. Easy to install?
Pretty easy but take your time when you get to where both ends meet. There's an overlap of approximately an inch and it's tedious to make them match perfectly. Use plenty of water or soapy solution. Make sure you clean your lenses thoroughly with rubbing alcohol before applying the stickers.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 PM
goin2drt
Super User

Location: Kentucky finally made it out of Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

Looks great. Man I missed the boat. $65 for about $1 worth of material, if that.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM
caritch
User

Thanks. My next project!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 PM
paxton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caritch View Post
Thanks. My next project!
You’re welcome!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:26 PM
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. Nice low cost mod. Like the darker look.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 PM
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Looks great. Man I missed the boat. $65 for about $1 worth of material, if that.
Yeah, but if you want black trim on your headlights, the only option from Porsche is PDLS+. That’ll cost you about 3 grand. If you look at it that way, the trim pieces are perfect and cheap. Today there was a Carmine Red GTS in the showroom getting the PPF treatment. That car had PDLS+. I have to say, to me anyway, the slightly blacker KI Studios metallic black trim looks better than the PDLS+ lights when all of the other black trim on the GTS is factored in. YMMV
Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 AM
JFerraro17
Addict
Rennlist Member

Flick—

Do you have PPF on your lights?

Im’ concerned about the pre-cleaning and soapy water during install if the lights are PPF coated

COMPLETELY agree about metallic black/GTS.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:35 AM
gbree
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
You go make a template, cut it out with your vinyl cutter and ship it to people, then.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM
goin2drt
Super User

Location: Kentucky finally made it out of Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

Originally Posted by gbree View Post
You go make a template, cut it out with your vinyl cutter and ship it to people, then.
Trust me I wish I would have thought of it instead of working for the man. It took them maybe an hour to set it up, they have the equipment. People paying $65 for pennies worth of material and really not much labor. The equipment is already being used for big print and graphic jobs. It a nice margin maker. Just jealous I didn’t think of or get in that business way back when.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 PM
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFerraro17 View Post
Flick—

Do you have PPF on your lights?

Im’ concerned about the pre-cleaning and soapy water during install if the lights are PPF coated

COMPLETELY agree about metallic black/GTS.
JFerraro17, I do not have PPF on my headlights as my installer wouldn’t do that. So I don’t know how KI Studios would work on top of PPF. My intuition tells me not very well as I think the overlay would pretty quickly adhere to the PPF.

Regarding the KI Studios overlay, if you ever remove them use a clothing steamer or it can pull off the factory headlight coating. I removed 3-4 sets trying to find the best color overlay, but got the right one with the metallic black. Using the clothing steamer it was a non event.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Brian Himmelman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent thank you for sharing and saving me $3000 for the LED Blacks and prefer the Xenon and this finishes the look !! Cheers
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM
adcampo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of doing this to my Basalt black S cab. I wonder why they didn't make it a full oval instead of having it split in the middle with the overlap? Size for headlight surround based on year/model must be consistent.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by adcampo View Post
I'm thinking of doing this to my Basalt black S cab. I wonder why they didn't make it a full oval instead of having it split in the middle with the overlap? Size for headlight surround based on year/model must be consistent.
I have these and am not great at these types of DIY.... My concern was the same as yours but after installing them; which was a lot easier than I thought, they look OEM and you cannot see the ends unless you are close enough to be reading a book. Even then, If I didn't tell you - you would not see it. I did this when I painted my nozzles black and even though it was subtle (and likely no lay person would know or care) I think it was a significant improvement.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Ttz06vette
User

How close do you think the Anthracite or Matte Platinum Grey is to Graphite Blue Metallic?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM
GKGEIGER
Addict
Rennlist Member

On my white car with clear markers the grey matches perfect. Also matches my front TS. Maybe if my car was a different color but I'm happy the way it came. Also, I'm not a big fan of mods. Might be my age.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KI Studios Headlight Trim

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: