Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice. I went on a 250 mile ride yesterday with my R8 buddy. Love the car.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

Finally picked up mine yesterday. Have some temporary TracWrap on it until it can get the front clip wrapped. Looking forward to some long drives.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:07 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonn72
Finally picked up mine yesterday. Have some temporary TracWrap on it until it can get the front clip wrapped. Looking forward to some long drives.
Great! Share pics, fill in the survey (link at first post on this thread).
Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
So I spent a lot of time with a detailed post and it was lost. Long story short:

1. Gorilla Glass needs a Blister Free Film base layer because of the dynamic thermal properties (expanding and contracting).
2. I used Xpel Prime XR Black (ceramic performs better with heat rejection and does not interfere with cell, bluetooth, and radar detectors + I think it looks better than metallic).
3. Do not scrub the glass but clean lightly with a towel for prep.
4. Use low or light slip solution on the base layer.
5. Because of the particular product appearance and the Texas heat I went with 35% sides and 20% rear glass.
6. Outcome: I love it. Perfect amount of privacy but not tastelessly "murdered out". With the light coming through the windshield, the rear matches perfectly. No raised dot matrix on the Gorilla Glass makes the tint look real real good. Like factory looking good. With this particular product, I can easily see outside without any issues (night or day).
7. See the pictures and let me know what you think.

I got this done at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio with Andrew (210-584-2325)

Thank you so much for this info!

I am about to tint my new Carrera T and this will save me a lot of time and research.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

All. An update. So the base layer wasn't performing the way I wanted. There was a significant amount of distortion from it that bothered me to the extent of getting it removed. The good thing about a base layer on polycarbonate is that it uses vinyl adhesive which is non-damaging to the Gorilla glass and comes right off. I will be doing some research about other base layers. Madico was what my guy used. It could have been that the layer was damaged or that it wasn't installed well. However, I looked at the roll myself and saw a significant amount of distortion from it. I will be researching other base layers. Sad. I liked the tint.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

All. An update. So the base layer wasn't performing the way I wanted. There was a significant amount of distortion from it that bothered me to the extent of getting it removed. The good thing about a base layer on polycarbonate is that it uses vinyl adhesive which is non-damaging to the Gorilla glass and comes right off. I will be doing some research about other base layers. Madico was what my guy used. It could have been that the layer was damaged or that it wasn't installed well. However, I looked at the roll myself and saw a significant amount of distortion from it. I will be researching other base layers. Sad. I liked the tint.
Oh no!! My T should arrive tomorrow. I had inquired about the base layer with my local Xpel installer and he is still researching it. Luckily the crazy hot weather won’t be here in AZ for 6 more months. I will be keenly interested in your new research. Thanks for the update!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:31 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Was it only the rear window you found the distortion unacceptable?

My preferred place has 3M crystalline as well as Xpel...
Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have tint on Gorilla glass without the base layer? If so, please share experience so far...and how long you've had it on would be helpful too. TIA
Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 AM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
Was it only the rear window you found the distortion unacceptable?

My preferred place has 3M crystalline as well as Xpel...
Yes it was only the rear window. I could have lived with it but I'm an impossible perfectionist. The rear quarters looked fine. The installer himself was not happy with the job and tried over and over to get it right but couldn't. He had to call some dude at Xpel from Houston to come to San Antonio. In the meantime, we just removed everything for uniformity. They also had a GT2 RS there that the owner wanted tinted. So apparently the Xpel guy from Houston came up here to tint the GT2 RS with my guy. He hasn't returned my call on how it went. Haven't heard back...maybe he's away for the holiday.

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
Anyone have tint on Gorilla glass without the base layer? If so, please share experience so far...and how long you've had it on would be helpful too. TIA
Don't do it! the polycarbonate glass off gases with heat. Additionally, the normal adhesive they use with regular glass and tint is not good for our glass. Apparently it damages it in the long-run in combination with the off-gassing. Then if you want it removed, it is a hassle to get the adhesive off the Gorilla glass. On normal glass, the can just razor the adhesive off. Obviously, I have not experimented with this. I've only trolled tint blogs (yeah that exists).
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
You should be able to get a cage installed, I like the low profile of the harness bar. I think a cage runs around $18-2300. GMG, Cantrell, Etc offer good cages.
Boy, this track thing is a slippery slope. Even for DE.I see the Simpson hybrid restraint device works with three point... But...If I want to leverage the LWBS in my car, it seems possible to get a four point belt Schroth that is built for the LWBS (with their ASM tech to reduce submarining)... But, then you are into needing a full harness in both seats (for the instructor)). As I am reading on the RL, once you get into a HANS device, that leads you to racing harness, which leads you to a cage. Good thing I won't have any money left for more than one track day a year. Hahaha.

- Helmet (Bell Sport EV) $429 - Already purchased
- HANS device III = $442
- Right Schroth Harness = $479
- Left Schroth Harness = $479
- RollBar / Harness Cage (e.g. GMG 991 LMS) = $2,600 + install

I realize this is a drop in the bucket to track day costs... but I am not sure how much, if all, I will track this car... And a 'all or nothing' of $4k for Hans + harness + cage seems a questionable investment. (But cheap compared to my life.) Not to mention wife freak out (who already wonders why we need a fire extinguisher in the car - if there is a permanently attached cage in the car).

1st world problems.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Great, DE events are fun. Did a lot in my 6, will do a few in the T.

If you don’t have PCCB, GiroDisc now sells a nice 350mm upgrade brake rotor kit, fits the caliper very well. Get the tarett caliper stud kit and spiegler 6 line kit to make pad changes easier. I recently installed this on my car, looks great and brake feel is good.

thanks, target corrected to tarett

Last edited by tgavem; 12-01-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Heh. Tarett not Target. Hopefully Target not sell a Porsche brake stud kit..
Old 12-10-2018, 02:10 PM
glenncurtis
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 911T Tribute - My 2019 Carrera T

Hi Carrera T fans.

Just thought I would share some photos of mine.

I ordered mine in early 2018, and took delivery in Leipzig, Germany. I am really glad I got to experience European delivery, and enjoyed the two weeks traveling with my wife/then son as they split their time with me.
Wife my wife we travelled: Leipzig, Dresden, Aschau, Berchtesgarten, Konigssee, Fussen, Fie' (Italy - Dolomites), Heidelberg, Frankfurt (passenger exchange)
With my son we travelled: Frankfurt, Spa (attended Formula 1 race), Nurburgring (RingTaxi.com hot laps in GT3 RS - wow), Luxembourg, Black Forest, Stuttgart (Museum, Christophorus Steak House, Car drop-off), Frankfurt (fly home)

My car arrived in Seattle about 2 months later, and I took re-delivery on Nov 3.

During the waiting time for my delivery at home, I was able to attend Rennsport VI, where I was able to see so many classic 911T models and also meet the famous Vic Elford who won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1968 with a 911T. This event was so amazing, I cannot wait to go to the next one, whenever that will be...

So, my car...
My order code was: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSNBAI0

2019 Guards Red - Manual, Carbon Bucket Seats, Front Axel Lift, All wheel steering, Bose stereo, Black Satin wheels, Badge delete, leather on dash with red deviated stitching, white chrono faceplate, sport facia and tail (mini duck tail), black sport exhaust and headlights.

The transformation...

I am a sucker for the nostalgia of former 911s, and I wanted this late model version to bring back some of the favorite things I have always loved about them. So I have applied the following changes:
Removed the Carrera T agate gray side decals, and replaced with satin black Porche Triple Stripe graphics
Removed the PORSCHE emblem on the back of the car and replace with wide banner style name graphic similar to many cars from the 60/70s
Wrapped mirrors to change color to black satin
Ordered and replaced rear engine grille cover with a flat black "GTS" version. (suncoastparts). The original now hangs in my garage with the nice metal badges attached to display my participation in euro deliver/rennsport, etc.
Installed 5mm wheel spacers all around (ECS kit for Carrera T)
Ordered and installed classic 911T model badge on rear of car below grille. (Crowd favorite at my recent Porsche club driving tour event).
Replace amber side markers with European style clear markers
Installed ZunSport front radiator inlet grill screens (black)

On order, Pepita Houndstooth bucket seat cushion covers to complete the time warp (Classicfx.net)

Last edited by glenncurtis; 12-10-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

Very nice glenncurtis. Love the Decals.

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>