Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS centerlock stain

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2015 GTS also had these weird stains all over the centerlocks. I just ignored it
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,729 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by guod
My 2015 GTS also had these weird stains all over the centerlocks. I just ignored it
+1

Can't see the CL when driving the car, which is what one should be doing when you own a Porsche.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh, whacky. I just had to go out and check this wasn't the third niggling issue we've shared, sorry to see your pics.
My wife has banged on at me about not using any wheel cleaner because sometimes it goes wrong (a previous car or two spring to mind), and when I mentioned whacky's issue she yells "SEE!".
Thanks for the warning but $580 will get you a new set.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

There ya go. Won’t matter what you use to clean/wash your 911, blue painters tape will protect your centerlock nuts. BTW, nice Targa!

Old 03-22-2018, 02:39 AM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Oh, whacky. I just had to go out and check this wasn't the third niggling issue we've shared, sorry to see your pics.
My wife has banged on at me about not using any wheel cleaner because sometimes it goes wrong (a previous car or two spring to mind), and when I mentioned whacky's issue she yells "SEE!".

Well thank god you're done imitating my issues.

I did try the olive oil trick.
It definitely darkens the areas of stain with a coat of, well, virginity.

But even the dried off look is oily and who knows how long that will last.

I'd really rather not have to feel like a weirdo and explain to my gf why I keep taking the bottle of olive oil out to the garage for a few mins
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 AM
whacky
Advanced

Originally Posted by _RS_

Also, where you getting a set of these for $580??
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM
JR M3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had an issue with the center lock nuts staining personally but that is heavily dependent on the use of the cleaner, dwell time to not let it dry as well as ensuring the surface is cool. On any CCB car I recommend to use soap and water for cleaning (especially if its been ceramic coated) but if you have the wheels removed from the vehicle a pH neutral cleaner when used properly should cause no damage. For steel rotor cars, I've used pH neutral cleaners while the wheel is cool (matte and gloss wheels) and still haven't had an issue. I have some pictures of cars we've had come in, but none here right this second to take more focused up close shots

I've used Nanolex wheel cleaner, Tuga, iron-x, 1z einszett many times on wheels that were uncoated as well as those protected with Modesta.

I have had some customers bring their cars in where other people have cleaned it and sprayed cleaner on a hot surface and caused etching like what you pictured especially if they let it dry on the wheel. Not sure what part of FL you're in but we have all the specialized tools to properly remove and re-torque center lock wheels and specialize in the same kind of work your installer does but here in Miami.

Hope this helps

Old 03-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CL nuts did that too.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Did anyone try to take that to Porsche or the dealer?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:45 PM
whacky
Advanced

So I considered giving my local Porsche dealer a call, to see what they think of it.
However, I received a response from the guy who did my detailing work, ppf, and ceramic coating. Auto Paint Guard in tampa (@SBARacing and others are familiar with his work and their solid reviews)

In response to me noticing these stains after picking the car up from its full paint correction, ppf, and coating I was told every one of the Porsche Centerlocks he has done has been like that. He contacted Porsche of Tampa on my behalf and was told the same thing. "They get very hot, and when water hits, they spot. We can polish them out, however, next time it gets wet it happens again"

I am going to take my car back sometime in the near future when his wheel guy is comfortable removing the centerlock wheels in order to complete my full wheel coating (He only did exterior intiitally and I want inside the rim and the rotors coated) and maybe at that time I'll see if he can polish them out and coat the centerlocks themself. See if that helps.

Otherwise, I dont see much else I can do aside from ignore it.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Mine don't look like that, spotted or stained. Don't know how how the CLs could have gotten that hot at the detailer, unless he started working on your car as soon as you dropped it off to him and you drove a long way there. Really, how hot could the CLs have gotten - you did not come from the track did you? Also, as a detailer who has been around a long time, he should know not to wash the wheels while they are hot.

Just saying . . .
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
So I considered giving my local Porsche dealer a call, to see what they think of it.
However, I received a response from the guy who did my detailing work, ppf, and ceramic coating. Auto Paint Guard in tampa (@SBARacing and others are familiar with his work and their solid reviews)

In response to me noticing these stains after picking the car up from its full paint correction, ppf, and coating I was told every one of the Porsche Centerlocks he has done has been like that. He contacted Porsche of Tampa on my behalf and was told the same thing. "They get very hot, and when water hits, they spot. We can polish them out, however, next time it gets wet it happens again"

I am going to take my car back sometime in the near future when his wheel guy is comfortable removing the centerlock wheels in order to complete my full wheel coating (He only did exterior intiitally and I want inside the rim and the rotors coated) and maybe at that time I'll see if he can polish them out and coat the centerlocks themself. See if that helps.

Otherwise, I dont see much else I can do aside from ignore it.
This is common problem. You should not ever use the wheel cleaner on these wheels. I heard some wheel cleaners are fine but anyway I never use harsh chemical on my car. My 2016 gts center lock wheels look better than new. I use only car soap and water to clean wheels. Wheel gets hot but that's not the culprit.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Totally normal if it came in contact with acidic cleaners.

A bit of olive oil and water and it'll come right off.

thanks!!! This worked really well!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM
whacky
Advanced

I have also done the olive oil trick.
It definitely darkens the spots. I don't think it cures or removes them.

It appears that after the oil rub down wears off, the marks return in some fashion.

I wonder if some form of trim coating would work on these.

Quick Reply: GTS centerlock stain