GTS centerlock stain - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

GTS centerlock stain

 
Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
  #16  
guod
User
 
guod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 42
Default

My 2015 GTS also had these weird stains all over the centerlocks. I just ignored it
guod is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM
  #17  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,295
Default

Originally Posted by guod View Post
My 2015 GTS also had these weird stains all over the centerlocks. I just ignored it
+1

Can't see the CL when driving the car, which is what one should be doing when you own a Porsche.
ipse dixit is online now  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 AM
  #18  
_RS_
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
_RS_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 382
Default

Oh, whacky. I just had to go out and check this wasn't the third niggling issue we've shared, sorry to see your pics.
My wife has banged on at me about not using any wheel cleaner because sometimes it goes wrong (a previous car or two spring to mind), and when I mentioned whacky's issue she yells "SEE!".
Thanks for the warning but $580 will get you a new set.
_RS_ is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 AM
  #19  
JAM2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 1,015
Default


JAM2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 AM
  #20  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

Originally Posted by JAM2 View Post


There ya go. Won’t matter what you use to clean/wash your 911, blue painters tape will protect your centerlock nuts. BTW, nice Targa!

flickroll is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:39 AM
  #21  
whacky
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
whacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by _RS_ View Post
Oh, whacky. I just had to go out and check this wasn't the third niggling issue we've shared, sorry to see your pics.
My wife has banged on at me about not using any wheel cleaner because sometimes it goes wrong (a previous car or two spring to mind), and when I mentioned whacky's issue she yells "SEE!".
Thanks for the warning but $580 will get you a new set.

Well thank god you're done imitating my issues.

I did try the olive oil trick.
It definitely darkens the areas of stain with a coat of, well, virginity.

But even the dried off look is oily and who knows how long that will last.

I'd really rather not have to feel like a weirdo and explain to my gf why I keep taking the bottle of olive oil out to the garage for a few mins
whacky is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 AM
  #22  
whacky
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
whacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by _RS_ View Post
Oh, whacky. I just had to go out and check this wasn't the third niggling issue we've shared, sorry to see your pics.
My wife has banged on at me about not using any wheel cleaner because sometimes it goes wrong (a previous car or two spring to mind), and when I mentioned whacky's issue she yells "SEE!".
Thanks for the warning but $580 will get you a new set.

Also, where you getting a set of these for $580??
whacky is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM
  #23  
JR M3
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1
Default

I've never had an issue with the center lock nuts staining personally but that is heavily dependent on the use of the cleaner, dwell time to not let it dry as well as ensuring the surface is cool. On any CCB car I recommend to use soap and water for cleaning (especially if its been ceramic coated) but if you have the wheels removed from the vehicle a pH neutral cleaner when used properly should cause no damage. For steel rotor cars, I've used pH neutral cleaners while the wheel is cool (matte and gloss wheels) and still haven't had an issue. I have some pictures of cars we've had come in, but none here right this second to take more focused up close shots

I've used Nanolex wheel cleaner, Tuga, iron-x, 1z einszett many times on wheels that were uncoated as well as those protected with Modesta.

I have had some customers bring their cars in where other people have cleaned it and sprayed cleaner on a hot surface and caused etching like what you pictured especially if they let it dry on the wheel. Not sure what part of FL you're in but we have all the specialized tools to properly remove and re-torque center lock wheels and specialize in the same kind of work your installer does but here in Miami.

Hope this helps

JR M3 is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 05:03 PM
  #24  
Axxlrod
User
 
Axxlrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 172
Default

My CL nuts did that too.
Axxlrod is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 PM
  #25  
SBARacing
User
 
SBARacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 262
Default

Did anyone try to take that to Porsche or the dealer?
SBARacing is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 08:45 PM
  #26  
whacky
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
whacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 67
Default

So I considered giving my local Porsche dealer a call, to see what they think of it.
However, I received a response from the guy who did my detailing work, ppf, and ceramic coating. Auto Paint Guard in tampa (@SBARacing and others are familiar with his work and their solid reviews)

In response to me noticing these stains after picking the car up from its full paint correction, ppf, and coating I was told every one of the Porsche Centerlocks he has done has been like that. He contacted Porsche of Tampa on my behalf and was told the same thing. "They get very hot, and when water hits, they spot. We can polish them out, however, next time it gets wet it happens again"

I am going to take my car back sometime in the near future when his wheel guy is comfortable removing the centerlock wheels in order to complete my full wheel coating (He only did exterior intiitally and I want inside the rim and the rotors coated) and maybe at that time I'll see if he can polish them out and coat the centerlocks themself. See if that helps.


Otherwise, I dont see much else I can do aside from ignore it.
whacky is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
  #27  
Porsche_nuts
Super User
 
Porsche_nuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,864
Default

Mine don't look like that, spotted or stained. Don't know how how the CLs could have gotten that hot at the detailer, unless he started working on your car as soon as you dropped it off to him and you drove a long way there. Really, how hot could the CLs have gotten - you did not come from the track did you? Also, as a detailer who has been around a long time, he should know not to wash the wheels while they are hot.

Just saying . . .
Porsche_nuts is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 PM
  #28  
ddolbi
User
 
ddolbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 63
Default

Originally Posted by whacky View Post
So I considered giving my local Porsche dealer a call, to see what they think of it.
However, I received a response from the guy who did my detailing work, ppf, and ceramic coating. Auto Paint Guard in tampa (@SBARacing and others are familiar with his work and their solid reviews)

In response to me noticing these stains after picking the car up from its full paint correction, ppf, and coating I was told every one of the Porsche Centerlocks he has done has been like that. He contacted Porsche of Tampa on my behalf and was told the same thing. "They get very hot, and when water hits, they spot. We can polish them out, however, next time it gets wet it happens again"

I am going to take my car back sometime in the near future when his wheel guy is comfortable removing the centerlock wheels in order to complete my full wheel coating (He only did exterior intiitally and I want inside the rim and the rotors coated) and maybe at that time I'll see if he can polish them out and coat the centerlocks themself. See if that helps.


Otherwise, I dont see much else I can do aside from ignore it.
This is common problem. You should not ever use the wheel cleaner on these wheels. I heard some wheel cleaners are fine but anyway I never use harsh chemical on my car. My 2016 gts center lock wheels look better than new. I use only car soap and water to clean wheels. Wheel gets hot but that's not the culprit.
ddolbi is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM
  #29  
caritch
User
 
caritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Totally normal if it came in contact with acidic cleaners.

A bit of olive oil and water and it'll come right off.

thanks!!! This worked really well!
caritch is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM
  #30  
whacky
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
whacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 67
Default

I have also done the olive oil trick.
It definitely darkens the spots. I don't think it cures or removes them.

It appears that after the oil rub down wears off, the marks return in some fashion.

I wonder if some form of trim coating would work on these.
whacky is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTS centerlock stain


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: