Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you decide no on paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Yes

They new water based paints manufacturers are now forced to use are paper thin. Paint jobs of yesteryear with 10 layers of enamel are gone. Literally on one Audi I had I would notice new chips after every road trip. PPF is just necessary due to the paint being so thin. We may not like it but it is a fact of life unless you are just not concerned with the vehicles apperance and resale value. My 964 paint literally lasted 26 years with no chips, I would not give the paint on a 991 26 days without PPF.

QUOTE=ducstar;14879140]I am having a hard time deciding to spend on PPF.

My 911 on order will be garaged and used mostly on the weekends.
I do not plan on taking it to the track.

If so could you share your reasoning?

any insight appreciated.

thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
I am having a hard time deciding to spend on PPF.

My 911 on order will be garaged and used mostly on the weekends.
I do not plan on taking it to the track.

If so could you share your reasoning?

any insight appreciated.

thanks
So, ducstar, after all of the posts, have you made a decision???
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PPF Pricing (not 5 to 8K)

PPF ing the full car should be 2K or under (with almost all of the edges wrapped). If they are charging more walk. I was reading about some guy in Ny who paid like 5K for PPF and a wax which to me is borderline insane. Call the porsche or audi dealer ask who they use then engage them directly. Ask them what the dealer pays them. Most stealerships mark secondary services up 100% plus. The PPF guy does not care if the dealer pays him or you directly he makes the same cash. Mine even came to my house.

Originally Posted by seffeed
As I “patiently” wait for July C2S delivery, I keep going back and forth on the PPF issue as well. Mine will be DD in SoCal, 12k miles per year, non-metallic white exterior, SPASM suspension. My newest reasoning is what if I take 5-8k off the price when I go to sell the car in 3-5 years instead of upfront PPF purchase? Thoughts? Is this sound reasoning?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I think it really boils down to what's important you as the owner. If you don't put PPF on, it doesn't mean you drive your car more or more aggressively because you are more "raw". It also doesn't mean if you put PPF on it that it is a garage queen or you only drive it on Sunday to church.
I now PPF my cars because if I can I want to maintain the paint beauty of the car as best I can for as long as I can. I don't turn over my cars every 2 years , if I'm happy with it I'll keep it indefinitely.
I drive it daily in the summer and I drive it hard and don't baby it. I think the Suntek Ultra is exceptionally clear and almost invisible. I detail it and coat it with Gyeon Can Coat and other Gyeon products and if this PPF starts showing the signs of road wear I'll replace it. But that my choice for my over $100 k investment.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
PPF ing the full car should be 2K or under (with almost all of the edges wrapped). If they are charging more walk. I was reading about some guy in Ny who paid like 5K for PPF and a wax which to me is borderline insane. Call the porsche or audi dealer ask who they use then engage them directly. Ask them what the dealer pays them. Most stealerships mark secondary services up 100% plus. The PPF guy does not care if the dealer pays him or you directly he makes the same cash. Mine even came to my house.
2K for the whole car, run away, there is no way that price exists in CT at any dealer not done by anyone you would want to touch your car.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 72offsuit
2K for the whole car, run away, there is no way that price exists in CT at any dealer not done by anyone you would want to touch your car.
+1000....I’m not sure why anyone would wrap an entire car for $2k. I don’t see how that’s sustainable and how that’s value for the consumer when they no longer can come to that vendor because he can’t even keep the lights on for that $ amount
Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

+1000....I’m not sure why anyone would wrap an entire car for $2k. I don’t see how that’s sustainable and how that’s value for the consumer when they no longer can come to that vendor because he can’t even keep the lights on for that $ amount

When I had my M5, prior to the 991.2, I wrapped full front for about $2.4k. That was with a reputable, highly recommended, installer that would not rip customers off at the risk of losing business. I wouldn't pay $2k for an entire car because it will be a crap job. To properly wrap a car, you have to prep the vehicle, meaning stripping it down of any waxes, clay, and paint correction before you actually apply the PPF. Some use pre-cut sheets while the better ones will custom cut to not expose any edges.

Unfortunately, I opted to not PPF my new 991.2 and instead I just paid $1,200 to do a two coat ceramic. I wanted the convenience of cleaning and less time polishing and waxing. I decided to do this because the M5's PPF looked horrible after bird droppings, sap, and other contaminants. You tell yourself that you will take care of it quickly, but sometimes you are in a rush and miss contaminants, and it doesn't take very long for it to etch. The trend with PPF today is to apply ceramic on top of it to lower maintenance. Let the bird poop dry, but it will never etc into the plastic. I was tempted, but didn't want to spend nearly $5k for the entire job. It will not be my last car or last Porsche. If it were a GT3 or limited edition car, I would have been all over it.

With that mentioned, I noticed this last weekend after a drive on the highway. I heard the knock and was like "$@#!". Got home and saw this little chip, and as mentioned by someone else, the paint is very thin. Basically a stone hit the headlight and ricochet on to the paint. The zoomed in picture looks really bad, but it's a small dot from standing distance. Still, it pissed me off, but now it is the little blemish that allows me to breathe easier going forward. It's just a car and it won't be my last. As for resale, if it gets really bad, I can bring it to a shop to detail and make a little better with touch-up paint. Every car I've owned, each one for around 4 years, with all the highway driving, there are usually no more than 2-3 chips at the most. I don't foresee a chip like this affecting my resale value much.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Dr Colorchip will be your best friend to fix that nick like it almost never happened.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Loft23
Every car I've owned, each one for around 4 years, with all the highway driving, there are usually no more than 2-3 chips at the most.
Could have yourself a world record there!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

All the guys I have contacted on the east coast are 5000-7000. I would be tickled pink to find it even for $4000
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
All the guys I have contacted on the east coast are 5000-7000. I would be tickled pink to find it even for $4000
For the full car? I got the full front (fenders and hood), side skirts, mirrors, rear quarter panels, and full tint including front windshield for around $3k. $5-7k is probably for the full car?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:27 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Yes for the full car. Not to put a guy on blast but, Darien Detail in CT quoted me about $7500 if I wanted a full wrap with paint correction custom cut without templates.

Now that's F'in crazy..
Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Yes for the full car. Not to put a guy on blast but, Darien Detail in CT quoted me about $7500 if I wanted a full wrap with paint correction custom cut without templates.

Now that's F'in crazy..
If that's including paint correction and coating it's not bad for a full custom cut wrap. I wouldn't trust anyone doing full paint correction/coating and full wrap for only $5k.

You do have diminishing returns doing the whole car, though. It's significantly more expensive for marginal extra protection in places where it's not that necessary.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

That is not counting ceramic coating. Just to prep the cars paint and apply full PPF.
They were 30% more than anyone else I contacted for the identical service and product. Xpel

Of course, their response was that their installation is the best and you pay for quality.
I'm hoping the $5-6000 quality will be close
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

That is not counting ceramic coating. Just to prep the cars paint and apply full PPF.
They were 30% more than anyone else I contacted for the identical service and product. Xpel

Of course, their response was that their installation is the best and you pay for quality.
I'm hoping the $5-6000 quality will be close
That does sound expensive. Are you sure they are even doing a full paint correction? It seems weird that they wouldn't coat it after, that's not that much extra compared to the labor involved in a good paint correction.

Quick Reply: Did you decide no on paint protection film?