Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you decide no on paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I have my entire car wrapped. I love the stuff. Is it perfect? No. But it is pretty good. My car is going to be six years old next month and I have very few marks. I would say none but there are few little marks just aft of the rear wheel and I believe they will come off if the film is ever removed. Another benefit is that you don’t have to be so careful when you wash the car.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I have mine entirely wrapped.

I track my car atleast once a month.

But my main reason was cleaning. I live in an apartment and there are no good car washes around where I live. So I can only get a proper car wash once every few months. The other times I'm in my apartment parking garage cleaning my car with those quick spray and clean spray bottles. So I wanted to full PPF so I can have peace of mind that I'm not scratching the paint every time i'm wiping my car down. So far I'm very happy.

Recently some car ran over a pothole in front of me a I had a spray rocks on my hood and windshield. Hard enough to make little chips on the windshield and a couple spots on the hood where the PPF ripped but managed to save the paint underneath. I recently had the hood PPF replaced and the car is like new again. For this, its totally worth to do.

Finding a good installer is key.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:23 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Dealer quoted me $2295 and $1995 for my 911 and Cayenne for just the front bumper/half of hood/mirror, I crossed it off this time, first, it’s a lease so I don’t feel like paying for two cars that I might even trade it in within 26 months, Second, I hardly drive hwy, and if I do, I learned how to avoid rock chips anyway (some chips are unavoidable but it’s ok), worst come to worst, I can have my body shop friend to redo the paint for much cheaper than the PPF...
Old 03-19-2018, 03:26 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Ohh, my Porsche dealership offers free full detail on the cars, so I can always have them cleaned free of charge so don’t have to worry about using the film to keep it clean.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I never did PPF, until I did it once. The cost seemed extravagant when I could spend the money on mods. Then I owned a dark color 911 and really started to get it. I use Suntek, a little thinner and I think clearer than Xpel. The protection is real and it's worth it. I do drive my car so it would have the road rash that goes with it. Car doesn't need to have paint nicks all over the front to prove you drive it.
I have gotten PPF several times and will continue to.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Paint chips - better you than me.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Put on Xpel full front, window pillars, mirrors, headlights, expanded front rear quarter panels, and in front and rear of glass sun roof. White car. Have to look hard to see it there. Use their recommended synthetic wax. Long term car, but not a daily. My used RS60 Spyder had it and small annoying chips started appearing after the old PPF was removed no matter the precautions. 10 yrs old and 66K and looked practically new. I would have had new PPF put on until I talked myself into a new 911. I will sell it someday, and in the meantime don’t have to cringe and obsess every time I hear a piece of gravel hit the front of the car.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had numerous bad experiences with PPF over the years, mostly due to bad installers and discoloration. On dark colors, no matter what anyone says, even if you add layers of coating like Cquartz or similar products on top of it, when there is PPF on the car, it does reduce the level of gloss and on lighter colors such as white, it changes color over time. If you enjoy detailing your car on a regular basis, nothing beats the clear paint without any PPF on it.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I have always been against it as I always felt it was like putting plastic on your couch. I ended up doing bumper hood and mirrors and I'm glad I did. No more sandblasting or little chips. I couldnt imagine doing entire car (he says now.......). I can see the film if I look really closely and shine is almost as good as original paint. I will have car corrected every spring. Not sure whats next? Do people replace film every few years? No chance I would even consider ppf on a leased car.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Taking my new GTS in next week for partial XPel and full ceramic. Worth the cost in my opinion. I have a top notch installer 25 minutes from home.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Taking my new GTS in next week for partial XPel and full ceramic. Worth the cost in my opinion. I have a top notch installer 25 minutes from home.
Agree on installer. I used the guy the local dealer and PCA members swear by. A little more expensive but does an absolutely amazing job. Shop is clean as a microchip factory. Other people bring their cars there to have less than perfect jobs redone. Sure the car is not a porcelain unicorn, but in my years of looking at the spread on used car prices, the premium of a well cared for like new original paint job will recoup the cost of the PPF many times over at eventual resale. With PPF I feel I can enjoy the car, help preserve its value and my OCD enjoyment of the car without it being a garage queen. Knowing what I know now I would have done it to my 9yr old GTI that is my daily driver and now needs the hood and front bumper repainted.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I didn't get it on either of my Porsches. List of reasons why:

1. I was worried about discoloration over time.
2. Didn't want to see seams.
3. It's not factory original (which matters to me).
4. Cost
5. I considered it on my 911 but it is white and will hide chips better.
6. My Porsches are not daily drivers (but I do drive them a heck of a lot).

If I was commuting on I-95 in my Porscshe, I'd get it done.
The following users liked this post:
Briels (02-22-2020)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I have not had it installed and have a few small rock chips on the front of the hood. If I had it installed now I would have to get the chips repaired first. I probably got the chips on a road trip we did soon after buying the car in 2017. Anyway, maybe someday I will have the stuff installed but for now, not.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Same for me. I also had the wheels coated as well. I don't have ceramic brakes and the wheels are so much easier to clean having the ceramic coating. In my opinion, it makes a difference. Depending on how you wash or have your car washed, it is bound to have swirl marks that are much easier to see on darker colors. With the ceramic coating alone, there are no worries about this......

Also, depending on the detailer that installs your PPF, this can be achieved without seeing seams. Of course this requires removal of the emblems, and other items on the car to achieve this. Again, it depends on who does your installation.

Bottom line for me is that it is worth the extra money:-)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I did PPF on my last one but not this one. I figured for the cost, I could have somebody fill in the chips if it bothered me. There are companies out there that can do it quite well without painting over the entire front end.

I recently saw a video about an original owner of a 911 from the 60's. The front end was all chipped up and I thought it looked cool. Every chip was a mark of time well spent in his beloved sports car. If I keep this one, I could look back and think the same.

Quick Reply: Did you decide no on paint protection film?