Sponsored by:

Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Every car more than 200hp is too fast for public roads. I believe is personal taste the wide selection of 911 models.

No matter what you choose you can't go wrong with any 911.
agreed. I have a GTS by the way. But I’m officially done chasing horsepower.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

I agree too, but I still find something intoxicating about the GT3!
Old 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LandCruiser
I looked at it, it would cost a lot to option it up. The base model looks really tempting, but I’m not sure if I still want an automatic or manual.
The gift was really supplying an amazing amount street cred to the base model. When you consider the modest changes between the T and base, it would be really interesting to see where the performance differences begin.
As far as the weight issue, we are talking a few gallons of gas, take out your your floor mats and owners manual, lose 10 pounds and you'll be right there with the T's weight. For those that need RAS, PCCB and the other goodies the T offers, it is a fantastic package, but it all starts with the amazing capability of the base car.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
It'll be a gift after I buy one used, in a few years.
Else, it's simply market diversification by a major truck manufacturer, cleverly disguised as dedication to the loyal customer base.
LOL- I see what you did there. Sadly, true.they've really gone truck.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the base C2. Other than a slight interest in RWS, I can't really see the appeal of the T for myself. I don't want cloth seats and I ordered my car with the same 20" wheels. I see virtually no future enhanced market value for a used T over the base model. It's very clever marketing by Porsche, kudos to them. At least it's a step away from their "Indy Pace Car Editions" of recent years like the ridiculous Endurance edition or whatever they called it. Or the special editions offered in the U.K. to honor 3 classic 917 liveries.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:00 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Re: the mid engine platform with 500 horse.. some work on the 981 Spyder/GT4 and you're approaching that territory.

I wouldn't mind having a 911 to go along with the Spyder, but I don't think it would be a T.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:15 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Your helmet may be a little too tight. It’s cutting off reasoning. I am a 13 time Pcar owner so few have more love for the brand or the cars. Do I think Porsche listens, yes, but only when it works for them as a company. Is the T a gift? Sounds like a nice car that could have been a little better instead of just another marketing 911 variation.
If they want to gift us, a mid engine platform with 500hp NA or Turbo, that they are capable of doing, would be greatly appreciated. Will I continue to buy only these cars, absolutely, but I’m not expecting gifts I just want to be surprised and delighted occasionally.
^^This
Old 03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

T is the right car for my daily driving needs. Now I need to get one. It is high enough to handle all bumps and potholes in my area and fast enough. I was on the fence, but with more research, this car is perfect for what from all stand points.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by captainkirk
T is the right car for my daily driving needs. Now I need to get one. It is high enough to handle all bumps and potholes in my area and fast enough. I was on the fence, but with more research, this car is perfect for what from all stand points.

Welcome to the T Club!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Nah....Asking for a GT4 with the GT3 engine without a detune.
Originally Posted by Penn4S

Yes, this.
Sign me up!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:38 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Gift from Porsche....hmmmm that's quite a stretch don't you think ?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Back in December, when I started thinking about replacing my Macan GTS with a 911, there were a couple of things I really wanted. One of them was a 911 that would be a little bit more "special". In many cases that would mean a "GT" car, but I was also considering, for example, the 50th Anniversary 911. But then there was the second thing: I wanted a daily driver. So, in a way, both of these 'wants' were almost at odds with each other. If you use a special car as a daily driver you could be seriously affecting its value with a higher mileage, hence the apparent contradiction. And then I found the "T". It was a unique model, even if you want to call it just for marketing purposes, but it has it's own name. It's not like a version of an existing model (endurance version, black edition, etc.) but a real differentiated model, that most likely you won't see one every day, or week, or month, if that.

Now, on top of that, it allowed me to get the features I really wanted, like Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust, SPASM and Rear Axle Steering, Sports Mirrors, etc., at a price that was very competitive vs an S with the exact same features. And with a unique interior on top of that.

For me, all of those things put together made the T a very compelling value proposition that matched what I wanted.... to a T (pun intended).
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Couldn't have put it better myself!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Porshe did exceptionally well with the T (aside from the stupid name, which should have been something like Clubsport, Lightweight or RS America) I think the only thing I would have changed was to add S brakes and a bit more HP than the base, just to differentiate. No way does it (or any other car) need 450hp. Would I like a 3.8 NA car better than a turbo? Yes, although I'd buy it either way.

Where am I coming from? I raced motorcycles nationally ranging from state-of-the-art RS125 Honda 2 strokes which were the best handling, lightest platform with a very high HP to weight ratio (43HP vs 160lbs) to 1,000cc "superbikes" and also AHRMA vintage racing 60's era 500cc and 750cc Grand Prix bikes. I've seen the advantages and disadvantages of weight, horsepower and technology. In the motorcycle world, racing a little 125 at 100% means you are at 13,000 RPM's, trail braking into every corner and riding on the ragged edge . The only time you can rest is on the front straightaway at 160MPH (as silly as that sounds, it's true). There is a level of purity in the fact that if you're not 100% perfect in every way you're likely off the track faster than your brain can even adjust.

Give me a car that has a great chassis, a motor that you want to exploit, and enough of the right options (and none of the extras) to distill the experience while keeping the price "reasonable" and enough "usability" to justify the expense, and I'm good. I can't imagine spending what a GT-3 T costs and this car gives me 98% of the experience.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Well said, Jordan. Care to share your Carrera T spec?

Quick Reply: Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche