Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted: 991 C4 vs C2

Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
ssc5174
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted: 991 C4 vs C2

I’m conflicted about whether to purchase a 2013 C4 or hold out for a similar optioned C2. I live in the mid-Atlantic and the car will be my daily driver so the all wheel drive is attractive (although, winter tires are key either way so it’s a nice to have vs must have). The C2s performance is fine with me but I’ve never driven a C4 and the car I’m considering is a cross country flight from me so I can’t easily test drive the car (and can’t find a similar car locally). I’d be interested in opinions on the differences between the two - performance and steering feel for example.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd suggest watching some Porsche Camp4 YouTube videos that were recently posted. They are newer cars, but they detail driving C2 and C4 cars in extreme conditions. They might help you decide.
Also keep in mind... there is no shame in owning a C4 instead of the C2! My therapist tells me so.
The following users liked this post:
Smoothoperator (11-04-2023)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just my two cents, I live in a similar climate here Portland Oregon (our winters are probably more mild), but I opted for the 4S. As you said, winter tires are the key, but if you're daily driving it and you absolutely have to drive in the snow, the 4 is definitely worth the extra money. I don't think the benefits in the rain are night and day as long as you're a decent driver. With the electronic nannies we have, I don't think rain is really and issue. If you did a lot of track days or auto cross I might lean a bit more towards the 2 for a bit more fun, but the 4 would probably give the average driver a quicker time.

I was looking for a 2, with a 4 being a bonus, and I just happen to come across a 4 with similar options at a similar price so went for it. Aside from the grip, keep in mind the difference in looks. The 4 is wider and has the light bar (which may be polarizing),

Good luck and enjoy, either way you'll be happy!
The following users liked this post:
Smoothoperator (11-04-2023)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Disclaimer . These are just my opinions .

I have never been a fan of the C4 . The C4S has more appeal but even that has never swung my vote .The added weight and AWD sitting on the axle gives a much less nimble feel . In fact the C4 is not even a popular 911 as most gravitate to the C2 for a base car . Of course the (proper) "Turbo" benefits from the AWD because with higher Hp /Torque sledgehammer driving characteristics the AWD plants the car down . Yet notice how the less Hp GTS and Gt3's take on the mighty Turbo at handling despite being crushed on any straight line.

So if the discussion is the 911 and the snow I cant say much (live in Miami) . However if i were buying a car to drive in a climate of polar bears I would buy a Macan and skip a 911 altogether . In inclement weather there are too many other cars who cant handle the conditions sharing the road to put any 911 at risk of getting damaged . I dont however see the mid atlantic as being such a region .

Drive them both .. you will see a difference.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Everyone thinks that AWD Porsche are made for winter weather and they couldn't be more wrong in their assumptions.

AWD Porsches are not about winter driving - they are about BLISTERING cornering capability under load. I've owned both 2wd and AWD Porsches and when the AWD is fitted with R-Comps and taken to the track the corner exit acceleration makes even the most jaded track junkie giggle like a schoolgirl. It's like a slot car and being launched out of the corner in a way no 2WD car can even come close to. Downside of AWD is more weight and more complexity, and higher initial cost.

However,your basic street summer tire will give up and surrender to the squeal of being overdriven quite easily - but when you put track stickies on 'em, look out and best be well buckled in....steering is wonderful - since you asked.

If you get the Carrera 4, you gotta get the "S" model, because its comes with the oh-so-sexy wide ***, and that alone is reason enough to buy one.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You won't get an easy, definitive answer here. I'd recommend strongly a RWD option for a weekend car but maybe AWD for a daily... traction is VERY good in these cars and there is little need for it other than mental placebo. Just don't drive like an idiot in foul conditions. Also - stoping isn't improved with AWD and that is 85% of the challenge in foul weather.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,135 Likes on 977 Posts

I own a C4 (991.2 though) and have driven a C4S and C4 back to back at PEC (991.1). I also live in the mid-Atlantic region. You wont have any problem with a C2 in the snow with winter tires. All that weight on the rear tires does wonders as do snow tires. Your clearance will be the issue, not so much your traction.

The C4 is heavier and has more weight up front of course and is less nimble but only when pushing hard. You really can't tell the difference in handling until you start pushing the cars. The AWD cars have bigger butts....and I am a butt guy.

I'd get a C2S over a C4 on the 991.1 but the new base engine in the .2 is much faster so the Base is plenty for me. You can't go wrong either way but you don't "need" a C4 in the mid-atlantic region. I only got mine for the wider tail. I would have preferred RWD only.....but those HIPS!

Last edited by subshooter; 03-13-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 771 Posts

There’s some good advice in this thread. I also agree with the comments that recommend driving both cars before you decide.

In most daily driver situations, the majority of drivers can’t tell the difference between a C2 and a C4. That changes a bit when you push the car, but I wouldn’t say one is “better” than the other. They’re just different.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:17 PM
TimboCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The 2wd when under heavy throttle out of a corner will make the rear end jump around. With the awd it is planted. Ok you perfectionist, maybe under the hands of a perfect driver the c2 would behave perfectly every time. I'm not that guy. I have gotten it perfect before and it is a wonderful thing. For these and other reasons I would rather have the c4. I have a 17 c2. My previous 14 c2 did not do this because imo it had less power. If I was aware of this prior to purchase I would have pushed harder for the c4. It is a harder car to find. Hope this is helpful to the op. I think I might overcome this problem if I turned off the traction control. Maybe it would be more consistent. This is my method on motorcycles. Just scared to try. At 9/10ths the car is great, even in the wet generally speaking.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:35 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

4 looks better.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Everyone thinks that AWD Porsche are made for winter weather and they couldn't be more wrong in their assumptions.

AWD Porsches are not about winter driving - they are about BLISTERING cornering capability under load. I've owned both 2wd and AWD Porsches and when the AWD is fitted with R-Comps and taken to the track the corner exit acceleration makes even the most jaded track junkie giggle like a schoolgirl. It's like a slot car and being launched out of the corner in a way no 2WD car can even come close to. Downside of AWD is more weight and more complexity, and higher initial cost.

However,your basic street summer tire will give up and surrender to the squeal of being overdriven quite easily - but when you put track stickies on 'em, look out and best be well buckled in....steering is wonderful - since you asked.

If you get the Carrera 4, you gotta get the "S" model, because its comes with the oh-so-sexy wide ***, and that alone is reason enough to buy one.
If you’re looking for the wide body, you don’t need the S, the C4 will do.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '16 991 4GTS and went for the all wheel drive for greater adhesion in rain and superior tracking on dry roads. This is my 5th 911 and the first 3 were 2 wheel drive. Having owned the 4, I doubt I will ever go back to the 2. Greater safety net, better traction, better peace of mind.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
ssc5174
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great - thank you all! Since I’m considering base models - 2013 C4 vs C2 - interested in thoughts about power. I’ve driven a number of the C2 models and power is fine - not overwhelming, but good enough for me. For those that have driven both, should I expect to see a meaningful difference in power with the C4? Assume not but again, can’t find a C4 locally to test drive.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

If you’re looking for the wide body, you don’t need the S, the C4 will do.

is the non-S version of 991 C4 made in wider tail body? didn't know that...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, there is a very interesting YouTube video from the "Engineering Explained" guys that talks about why the 911 as a performance car does extremely well with AWD (in addition to the bad weather traction benefits). According to these guys, long story short: (i) the rear heavy 911 is better balanced with a little extra weight up front and more planted, and (ii) rear engine provides up to 95% of the power directly to the rear wheels (major benefit to all 911s) and provides up to 40% of the power to the front wheels only as needed. They say this is considerably more efficient that any front engine AWD performance car that must transmit most of the power from the front to the rear. Worth a view when comparing the 2 vs 4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted: 991 C4 vs C2