Sponsored by:

Glaring Omissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:08 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Glaring Omissions?

I'm a first time Porsche buyer, so winging this build as best I can. Any assistance in spotting something I need, or something I don't, would be helpful before placing the order. I'm getting older (73 tomorrow), coming from a BMW 5 series, and looking for that adrenaline rush I got from my previous S2000, although with some comfort thrown in.
I'm still on the fence in regards to the yellow chrono, but think it adds a touch of whimsy.
Anyhoo, this is the build - PJ5V6UJ2

I'm really looking forward to being a new Porsche owner.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Happy birthday. Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Very nice build! I would suggest considering the Bose. Otherwise this would be the nicest build I have ever seen with a base stereo lol.

And happy birthday!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:30 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice build! I'd probably get the premium package plus and side skirts painted. I'd remove power steering plus and adaptive cruise control if it were my car. I'd also skip the instrument dials in white. I had white dials in my 997TT and I prefer other colors. I have red dials in my GTS and gray dials in my upcoming GT3, I prefer those to the white, because the white seems a little harsh. I'd also add sun visors in leather, and I would get at least a Bose stereo.

I also don't know if I'd get the RAS without the SPASM. If you to focus on sportiness and handling you should get SPASM. If not, I'm not sure there's much reason to get RAS.

Congrats on the new car! You're going to love it!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:40 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Great wheel choice - congrats on your 4S
Old 03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Very nice build! I would suggest considering the Bose. Otherwise this would be the nicest build I have ever seen with a base stereo lol.

And happy birthday!!!
Haha, thanks! My hearing isn't like it used to be, and my source material usually is far from ideal. However, if this would be a serious omission for somebody considering purchasing the car down the road, it might be a worthwhile addition.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-11-2018, 04:00 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by erko1905
Great wheel choice - congrats on your 4S
I have almost these exact wheels in 19 inch on my BMW and love them. I'm hoping the wife will want the bimmer, so it can stay in the family.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-11-2018, 04:20 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

nice looking build. i agree with a few comments above. you may want to look at doing a good chunk of the options as the packages. you can do the sport package and premium plus to cover everything you already selected with a few more added items for the same price.

i personally like the sport design mirrors with the lower trim in black.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:20 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by reacher
Nice build! I'd probably get the premium package plus and side skirts painted. I'd remove power steering plus and adaptive cruise control if it were my car. I'd also skip the instrument dials in white. I had white dials in my 997TT and I prefer other colors. I have red dials in my GTS and gray dials in my upcoming GT3, I prefer those to the white, because the white seems a little harsh. I'd also add sun visors in leather, and I would get at least a Bose stereo.

I also don't know if I'd get the RAS without the SPASM. If you to focus on sportiness and handling you should get SPASM. If not, I'm not sure there's much reason to get RAS.

Congrats on the new car! You're going to love it!
I should have let you configure my car!
But seriously, I appreciate all the help. I've had white gauges on a previous car, and liked them a lot, but would be open to change if I hear that others are dissatisfied with them on this car.
Just out of curiosity - I had anticipated diving into the money talk at 5% off sticker. Does this seem reasonable, or should I be aiming higher/lower?

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealBob
I'm a first time Porsche buyer, so winging this build as best I can. Any assistance in spotting something I need, or something I don't, would be helpful before placing the order. I'm getting older (73 tomorrow), coming from a BMW 5 series, and looking for that adrenaline rush I got from my previous S2000, although with some comfort thrown in.
I'm still on the fence in regards to the yellow chrono, but think it adds a touch of whimsy.
Anyhoo, this is the build - PJ5V6UJ2

I'm really looking forward to being a new Porsche owner.

Thanks, Bob
I would definitely add Bose at least and ventilated seats.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Since it has been suggested that I add the Bose and ventilated seats, and they are good suggestions, let me share my thinking which might be totally off base. I've come across quite a few reports of rattles that are difficult to track down. My thought was that the added or better speakers and sub, associated with the Bose, might have them digging around, removing panels etc., and causing general mayhem. I had the same feeling about the additional fans required for ventilating the seats. On the other hand, I've not seen any mention of squeaks or rattles directly associated to either of these concerns.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Btw, if you add the premium Package Plus, not only you will get a few options FREE (ventilated seats and light design package, but your build will be $1,040 LESS. Basically, no reason to just get the package vs individual options.

With that money you save you can get the SPORTS Package that will add Sport Exhaust for only $1,600 more.

So, add both packages and you will get EVERYTHING for just $600 more.

Easy decision!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Thanks to everybody for the kind welcome and very helpful advice. I'll look closely at the packages.
This forum is a welcome relief from some that I've previously frequented.

Bob
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi Bob,

It's a personal opinion and I don't know your driving weather conditions, but if you go with a Carrera S vs a 4S you'd save about 7K. If it's the aesthetics you're after, then I understand. By the way, what was your reasoning for RAS? Just curious, this isn't meant as a negative.

As Alex mentioned, you should probably add the Premium Package Plus because you'll get a few more options for LESS money AND still keep the LED lights which you originally selected.

Since you selected tinted taillights, you may consider having the Porsche logo in black (maybe tailpipes, too?)--that'll match the theme you've made a bit more than the bright Porsche logo, but maybe that's what you're after

Really nice build! I know you'll enjoy the car and welcome to RL!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 PM
TheRealBob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xstnte
Hi Bob,

It's a personal opinion and I don't know your driving weather conditions, but if you go with a Carrera S vs a 4S you'd save about 7K. If it's the aesthetics you're after, then I understand. By the way, what was your reasoning for RAS? Just curious, this isn't meant as a negative.

As Alex mentioned, you should probably add the Premium Package Plus because you'll get a few more options for LESS money AND still keep the LED lights which you originally selected.

Since you selected tinted taillights, you may consider having the Porsche logo in black (maybe tailpipes, too?)--that'll match the theme you've made a bit more than the bright Porsche logo, but maybe that's what you're after

Really nice build! I know you'll enjoy the car and welcome to RL!
The Premium Package Plus was good advice, and I've added it. I also added the Bose sound. So, I got the Bose and ventilated seats for just an additional 560.00.
In regards to the 4S vs. S - I've never had 4WD and wanted to give it a try. Additionally I do like the aesthetic, and thought it might provide a benefit on wet roads.
I'm not sure how beneficial the RAS will be, and will have to do some searches on the PROS and CONS. Maybe it's only for the track?
I go back and forth on the blackened logo and tailpipes, but yes it would maintain the theme. If the black was matte rather than glossy, I would like it better.

Thanks, Bob

Quick Reply: Glaring Omissions?