New Radar Detector opinions - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

991
Sponsored by:

New Radar Detector opinions

Reply

Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 AM
  #31  
PTS-BRG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 17
Default

Well, let me add my 2 cents.. I drive above the speed limit daily. I am not a maniac but, I can do 75 without any problem when other vehicles with poorer suspension, brakes and power are doing 55.
That being said, I won't drive without a radar detector, laser jammer and Waze. You can be as alert as you want, sometimes they have hiding places that you cannot see them and there is no way to avoid getting caught.

The radar helps, the jammer helps and so does Waze. I need every bit of help and protection I can get and none of it costs more than ONE ticket, points on my license, Insurance premiums, lawyers, wasted time, etc.
I also actively upload locations of police on Waze and do my best to help others avoid getting caught. Thats my thinking and how I roll
PTS-BRG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM
  #32  
go.illini
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
go.illini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: central IL
Posts: 407
Default

Originally Posted by smbryan View Post
The Unidens are on sale:

Uniden R3 Radar Laser Detector - $360, R1 $270 AC


Uniden R3 for $360 and R1 for $270 after PLAYMAD coupon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-R...1346547122


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-R...1346545594
Thanks for posting this. It looks like a legit deal so I pulled the trigger.

I went with the R1 since I've found having GPS capability is not worth the additional expense based on how I use detectors. Range and filtering are what matter most to me. I'd probably feel differently if I lived in a large urban area.
go.illini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:20 PM
  #33  
HODY905
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 328
Default

Can someone tell me how laser jammers work and are they legal? Recommend a brand? I live in SE PA
Thsnks
HODY905 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM
  #34  
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ENCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Newtown Square PA
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by HODY905 View Post
Can someone tell me how laser jammers work and are they legal? Recommend a brand? I live in SE PA
Thsnks
https://www.radarbusters.com/Police-...nia-s/2561.htm
ENCT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:58 PM
  #35  
erko1905
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
erko1905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 318
Default

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG View Post
Well, let me add my 2 cents.. I drive above the speed limit daily. I am not a maniac but, I can do 75 without any problem when other vehicles with poorer suspension, brakes and power are doing 55.
That being said, I won't drive without a radar detector, laser jammer and Waze. You can be as alert as you want, sometimes they have hiding places that you cannot see them and there is no way to avoid getting caught.

The radar helps, the jammer helps and so does Waze. I need every bit of help and protection I can get and none of it costs more than ONE ticket, points on my license, Insurance premiums, lawyers, wasted time, etc.
I also actively upload locations of police on Waze and do my best to help others avoid getting caught. Thats my thinking and how I roll
Agreed 100%.
erko1905 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 PM
  #36  
Valvefloat991
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 477
Default

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG View Post
Well, let me add my 2 cents.. I drive above the speed limit daily. I am not a maniac but, I can do 75 without any problem when other vehicles with poorer suspension, brakes and power are doing 55.
That being said, I won't drive without a radar detector, laser jammer and Waze. You can be as alert as you want, sometimes they have hiding places that you cannot see them and there is no way to avoid getting caught.

The radar helps, the jammer helps and so does Waze. I need every bit of help and protection I can get and none of it costs more than ONE ticket, points on my license, Insurance premiums, lawyers, wasted time, etc.
I also actively upload locations of police on Waze and do my best to help others avoid getting caught. Thats my thinking and how I roll
Likewise, and perfectly appropriate for a 911 driver.
Valvefloat991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM
  #37  
dsh
User
 
dsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 33
Default

I’m still a fan of the Valentine V1. I like a detector that detects the rear as well as front. The V1 has consistently been one of the top performers every year.
dsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
  #38  
Top Jimmy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Top Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 76
Default

Why not the Valentine 1?

-TJ
Top Jimmy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM
  #39  
erko1905
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
erko1905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 318
Default

My understanding w the V1 is that it doesn't have the raw range that the R3 has, and it takes quite a bit of initial tinkering (w the extra app etc) to get the setup just right.
erko1905 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM
  #40  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 1,534
Default

Pulled the trigger on the R3 today. Was torn between the R3 and the Radenso Pro M but just to much good data on the R3.

Dissappointed that Escort is not up to the task and customer service seems to have gone down the tubes. Valentine 1 is just too dated arrows and all, does not have the distance detection that the R3 and Pro M have.

Justt a little more insurance as Pcars seem to be a target on the expressways. I drive backroads mostly daily but need a little more protection at times. I am not a careless driver or a drag racer at every red light but I do feel if given the choice on who to ticket the Leo’s choose the 911 over the Camry.
Penn4S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:45 PM
  #41  
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sampelligrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: in a 911
Posts: 1,137
Default

I am really leaning on getting the R3 when my car comes in based on more research online and on Rennlist. Is the preferred method to hard wire the RD and get it on the windshield? Seems like having it on the sun visor and out of the way/more hidden would be nice, at least in my unexperienced opinion
sampelligrino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:09 PM
  #42  
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ENCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Newtown Square PA
Posts: 149
Default

ENCT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM
  #43  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 1,534
Default

Originally Posted by ENCT View Post
Nice job with the mount Eric. Is that the Blendmount?
Penn4S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:28 PM
  #44  
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ENCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Newtown Square PA
Posts: 149
Default

Yes it is, sorry for the big picture. Perzan did the installation.
Eric
ENCT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM
  #45  
Valvefloat991
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 477
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
Pulled the trigger on the R3 today. Was torn between the R3 and the Radenso Pro M but just to much good data on the R3.

Dissappointed that Escort is not up to the task and customer service seems to have gone down the tubes. Valentine 1 is just too dated arrows and all, does not have the distance detection that the R3 and Pro M have.

Justt a little more insurance as Pcars seem to be a target on the expressways. I drive backroads mostly daily but need a little more protection at times. I am not a careless driver or a drag racer at every red light but I do feel if given the choice on who to ticket the Leo’s choose the 911 over the Camry.
Just curious, where are you getting your information? Detector tests seem to have fallen by the wayside at the major magazines. And what is your poor customer service experience with Escort. I have two old 9500ix detectors and they don't need much int he way of service, but I'm also in the market to get something newer.

The positive comments about the R3 and its low price make it attractive, though I wish it had the directional detection. The Escort 360c looks interesting for that reason, but it's quite a bit more money.
Valvefloat991 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: