Sponsored by:

Heated seats turning off quickly

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated seats turning off quickly

Hey guys just wondering if anyone have seen the same behavior, or have any idea what’s happening on my 991 S.

When I turn the driver side seat heater, and I can feel the seat getting warmer, but after 1 or 2 minutes it goes off. Even the 3 LED indicators in the buttons goes off. So, I need to keep turning the warmer every minute. On the passenger side, I just turn it on, and the LED never turns off, and the seats are always warm.

I read in the manual that the seats warmer will not work if cabin temperature is too hot, but I tested when the car was parked overnight in 40F temperatures, and saw the same behavior.

Anybody have any idea?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by glbrighenti
Hey guys just wondering if anyone have seen the same behavior, or have any idea what’s happening on my 991 S.

When I turn the driver side seat heater, and I can feel the seat getting warmer, but after 1 or 2 minutes it goes off. Even the 3 LED indicators in the buttons goes off. So, I need to keep turning the warmer every minute. On the passenger side, I just turn it on, and the LED never turns off, and the seats are always warm.

I read in the manual that the seats warmer will not work if cabin temperature is too hot, but I tested when the car was parked overnight in 40F temperatures, and saw the same behavior.

Anybody have any idea?
Sure, just take it on for service. Our local dealer has time set aside daily for drive-ins and they will look at it for free. Maybe your dealer has the same.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Something is wrong. Your LEDs should not go out regardless. Take it the dealer. Probably a control module.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:55 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Does your start/stop still work?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:05 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Anybody have any idea?
My Carrera T is doing the same thing...N=2
Old 03-10-2018, 02:37 AM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Regarding the start/stop.
I have it OFF most of the time because its is annoying/pointless for short rides, but a few days ago I turned it on, and the car was not shutting it down. I did not mind because start/stop has a mind of its own, and I am never sure when it will actually work, so I did not paid attention.

May I ask how is this related to the heated seats? are they the same control module?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Well, when you get this fixed, you'll still be turning them off (manually) after 1-2 minutes, because they get hot as Hades, very quickly.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Regarding the start/stop.
I have it OFF most of the time because its is annoying/pointless for short rides, but a few days ago I turned it on, and the car was not shutting it down. I did not mind because start/stop has a mind of its own, and I am never sure when it will actually work, so I did not paid attention.

May I ask how is this related to the heated seats? are they the same control module?
Issues with stop start usually means your battery is going bad and a bad battery may be the reason your seat heater turns off because heating is a big battery drainer. But if it is the battery, does not explain why your passenger side heater seems to work fine. How old is your battery?
Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Issues with stop start usually means your battery is going bad and a bad battery may be the reason your seat heater turns off because heating is a big battery drainer. But if it is the battery, does not explain why your passenger side heater seems to work fine. How old is your battery?
Good point, battery might be related. I don`t know how old it is, I got the car 1 year ago, since it is 2014, I am assuming it might be the original battery the car came with
Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Just updating the thread for anyone having this problem in the future.

The seats heater were getting worse every time, and it got to a point were it was not turning on anymore. I brought the car to the dealer, and they are replacing the heating elements and the fan under warranty.
They said that they never had this issue fixed there before, and they had no parts available, so they had to order parts from Germany, so I guess is not a common issue.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Interesting! My Start/Stop feature (which I usually have on defeat) stopped working recently on my 2014. I never heard that's indicative of the battery going south - was there a forum discussion on that topic?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

I haven’t seen any specific discussion about that.
In my case, I use my car once or twice a week, I believe that my battery never got fully charged from the short drives I make, so I got CTEK battery tender, and the start/stop seems to work now.

Maybe if you don’t you your car that often it might be the same.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Just wait for Mission E. Those (electrically) heated seats will be switching themselves off after 20 seconds.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Just updating my case, Porsche of San Diego changed the headlights under warranty (I had like a week left of warranty ).
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

And what happened with the heated seats problems?

Quick Reply: Heated seats turning off quickly