Sponsored by:

leather damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default leather damage

Took my car to the detailer for ceramic coating and interior leather protectant for the light leather. When I got it back it had this damage on the steering wheel. I have rotated the wheel around for the photo. It is on the bottom about the 7-8 o'clock position. Cant really see it but I can sure feel it when I hold the wheel. Quite disappointed this has happened. The detailer is a good guy and intends to make it right. Used him numerous times and he always does a great job. Not really sure what caused this and neither is he but he is accepting responsibility. Leather repair is not really in his wheel house. He has a guy he has a call into. Waiting to see what he says.

Wanted to see if anyone has experience with leather repair. The two lines going left to right I cant really feel much but the two abrasions are definitely noticeable. Any suggestions on techniques or products to repair or minimize would be appreciated. I understand getting a new wheel could be an option but would assume try to repair it first so please don't just say make the guy get you a new wheel as that won't do much for me for the purposes of this thread.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch! There are leather guys out there that might be able to reduce what you are seeing but I don't think it's going to eliminate it. Sorry about that, I just love careless people screwing up other people's $100k+ cars. I would let them attempt to fix it, if not 100% they should replace the wheel. Just a suggestion but I would pick up a steering wheel cover and put it on when in for service. I have an black elastic wheel cover I put on every time my car is away from me, oh plus I walk them around it, video, and generally scare the hell out of them.

This was an avoidable situation had they taken care. I had a very tiny scuff on the middle edge of the upper passenger seat bolster after my new car came out of delivery, thankfully my wife saw it. Their leather guy was able to make it 99.9% gone, I can find it if I look for it really closely for a couple minutes but as it's on the passenger seat so I don't look for it every time I get in the car and nobody else has been able to see it even when I tell them about it, I chose to leave it alone. They gave me the option of removing and replacing the seat panel, but I thought what are the odds of doing this without other collateral damage, ZERO. On a steering wheel I would have it replaced. You take you car in to get fixed or improved, NOT DAMAGED.

Last edited by titan7; 03-09-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Another member here had a similar incident about a month ago. Took two tries by the dealer to get it repaired to his satisfaction, but ultimately the leather guy was able to sand/repair the leather and they didn't have to replace the entire steering wheel.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1046...adventure.html
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at and test drove a Macan GTS last weekend which is 1-yr old and I'm buying and picking up tomorrow (CPO car w/ 7,200 miles on it). There is a similar scuff on the steering wheel at about the 9 o'clock position. I pointed it out to them and they said no problem they will get it repaired this week before I pick it up. I'm curious to see how well they do. It's from Porsche of Fairfield which is one of the highest volume dealers in the country, so I'm expecting them to have good people to deal with these things. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

after a few weeks it should heal it self. just get it warm and rub it every now and then. happened to me, although admittedly not as severe. rub away
Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
after a few weeks it should heal it self. just get it warm and rub it every now and then. happened to me, although admittedly not as severe. rub away
Channel your 13YR old self....LOL
Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gellie
Well that escalated quickly! haha

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by gellie
I LOLd

dirty minds! the lot of ya!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

You can rub that leather all you want and its not going to fix itself, any more than if you rub a scar on your skin you'll make it go away.

That is a finished leather on the steering wheel and the way you restore that is to sand it down and then respray it. I'm in the leather furniture industry and do repairs like that all the time.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
You can rub that leather all you want and its not going to fix itself, any more than if you rub a scar on your skin you'll make it go away.

That is a finished leather on the steering wheel and the way you restore that is to sand it down and then respray it. I'm in the leather furniture industry and do repairs like that all the time.
When it gets sanded down it will discolor and then you are saying it will need to be resprayed to match the original color?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

About ten years ago the steering wheel of my Audi S4 was damaged while being serviced at an Audi dealership. I showed the damage to the SA and he set up an appointment to get the leather repaired. The damage was similar to the picture above. The leather on the steering wheel was repaired perfectly. Although I knew exactly where the damage was, I couldn't find even the smallest imperfection.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
When it gets sanded down it will discolor and then you are saying it will need to be resprayed to match the original color?
Correct. Finished leathers ARE sanded leathers, then tanned, then sprayed with a color coat when it was new. Re-sand - respray and its as good as new. It's not even a difficult repair.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:29 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a very similar looking scratch. “ Blackrock leather n rich”. Small amount and rub it in with your finger. Leave it and come back later and message it more. It faded to almost gone. Next day rubbed some more and now it’s gone. Great product.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I managed to get a bit of a scuff on my stearing wheel at some point, little tiny parallel cracks like yours. It was sort of towards the back on one side and I used to be able to feel it, I think it closed itself back up because I can’t anymore.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie

this is not my experience. Yours may vary. Mine had slightly less damage than the one pictured and is good as new. Leather heals. This isn’t a scar it’s a scratch

Quick Reply: leather damage