Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF on headlights of 991.2 Need advice fast!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PPF on headlights of 991.2 Need advice fast!

All
I am at my local PPF installer (Unique Car Car outside of Boston) to get Xpel on my 2017 CS2. Was going to get front bumper and half hood. the Installer says that there is a known issue with covering the headlights of 991.2 cars. Apparently about half the time some of the clear coat peels off the housing when they take the headlight housing out. Apparently there is a TSB about it.
He says he is happy to cover the lights but cant take responsibility if the the clear coat is damaged.
anybody have any advice? I dont know how commonly the headlights get chipped but I can imagine they are at risk.

thanks
Ian
Old 03-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

this is true, removing ppf can remove the clear coat on the headlight, most installers do not want take responsibility

additionally, pay for the full hood coverage - you will see a dirt line where the ppf ends on the half hood and will not be happy, so get full hood.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Curvehound
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
this is true, removing ppf can remove the clear coat on the headlight, most installers do not want take responsibility

additionally, pay for the full hood coverage - you will see a dirt line where the ppf ends on the half hood and will not be happy, so get full hood.
Thanks. So how commonly do the headlights get chipped?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Never do half hood!

If this installer actually recommends a half hood, I would NOT trust them doing the headlights.

Make sure to get some SOLID references about installers too. Too many hacks out there.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

It does happen, I have a few very minute ones on mine in 4 years of driving, you have to really look to seem them - luck of the draw really, Try not to drive behind trucks, but of course no guarantee. .
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

On my prior CPO 991.1, the headlights on the car came with PPF but part of the edge was loose on the headlight leaving an ugly unclean edge. So I had the PPF removed by a proper PPF installer while he was also fixing a loose edge on the PPF of the car's mirror housing. Despite proper use of a steam gun and proper technique (I was watching), just as the film was almost off the headlight a strip of the UV coating about an inch wide and two inches long pulled off. So yes, it can happen.

I occasionally would coat that area with some leftover UV protectant spray that came with a headlight cleaning kit I used on my son's old Acura. The lens stayed clear there, but that was still annoying to have to do.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Curvehound
Instructor

Ok, will pass of the headlights and spend the extra $400 for the full hood

thanks to both of you
Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Wise decision. Full hood is nice, and it is the easiest panel (along with the gas cap cover) for them to do with an edge-wrap. You'll never know it is there.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Curvehound

thanks to both of you

Good call.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

All
I am at my local PPF installer (Unique Car Car outside of Boston) to get Xpel on my 2017 CS2. Was going to get front bumper and half hood. the Installer says that there is a known issue with covering the headlights of 991.2 cars. Apparently about half the time some of the clear coat peels off the housing when they take the headlight housing out. Apparently there is a TSB about it.
He says he is happy to cover the lights but cant take responsibility if the the clear coat is damaged.
anybody have any advice? I dont know how commonly the headlights get chipped but I can imagine they are at risk.

thanks
Ian
Why not have the headlights covered without removing the headlights? A good PPF installer can cover 90% of the headlight with minimal seams.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Curvehound
Instructor

Originally Posted by gellie
Why not have the headlights covered without removing the headlights? A good PPF installer can cover 90% of the headlight with minimal seams.
I wondered that myself. I will ask about that option.
thanks
Old 03-09-2018, 10:59 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

My PPF installer recommend this. You really cant see where the seam is around the headlight.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Yeah, and that way you only risk getting 90% of the UV coating pulled off.

Just a few weeks ago I did have my new car fully PPF'ed, except the headlights. My installer talked with me about the headlights again... I was wondering if any new technique or product had come along that made headlight application safe. His bottom line was No. But we did discuss how difficult it is for them to do on the car as an aside. Due to the significant bulge of the 991 headlight, they have to pull the film pretty vigorously to get it to shape to the headlight. However, due to the inset of the headlight at its base its really hard for them to get a good pull and lay-down on the film at the bottom with the headlight installed. With it out they can pull it taut across the whole surface and get better results.

I think this problem could have been why the headlight PPF that came with my prior CPO 991.1 was pulling away at the edges. The installer appeared to have done it on the car without removing the headlight and didn't get the best stretch and adhesion at the lower edges, allow the tension on the film to pull itself off at the edges.

Unfortunately on the 991.2 Porsche changed the way headlights are installed and they can only be removed by removing the front bumper too. There is no more latching mechanism accessible from the frunk.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Curvehound
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yeah, and that way you only risk getting 90% of the UV coating pulled off.

Just a few weeks ago I did have my new car fully PPF'ed, except the headlights. My installer talked with me about the headlights again... I was wondering if any new technique or product had come along that made headlight application safe. His bottom line was No. But we did discuss how difficult it is for them to do on the car as an aside. Due to the significant bulge of the 991 headlight, they have to pull the film pretty vigorously to get it to shape to the headlight. However, due to the inset of the headlight at its base its really hard for them to get a good pull and lay-down on the film at the bottom with the headlight installed. With it out they can pull it taut across the whole surface and get better results.

I think this problem could have been why the headlight PPF that came with my prior CPO 991.1 was pulling away at the edges. The installer appeared to have done it on the car without removing the headlight and didn't get the best stretch and adhesion at the lower edges, allow the tension on the film to pull itself off at the edges.

Unfortunately on the 991.2 Porsche changed the way headlights are installed and they can only be removed by removing the front bumper too. There is no more latching mechanism accessible from the frunk.
that is what I was just told as well. Becuase of their shape, they cant get good adhesion to the headlight unless they pull them out.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:54 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

thanks to both of you
Good call. Those visible lines are brutal.

Quick Reply: PPF on headlights of 991.2 Need advice fast!