Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF on headlights of 991.2 Need advice fast!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM
stick6
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last fall, I had PPF on the full front of my '14 C4 at Unique Car Care without the headlights. Very happy with the result. Good folks.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't do the headlights. removing the protection can crack the inside trim ring paint or coating. the dark ring around the outside of the light, behind the cover.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My PPF guy definitely recommended against doing the headlights. Had the car nearly a year now and there are no marks on the lights but the PPF has saved a few chips to the front and hips already.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Interesting, the guy I am going with for PPF (Moe @ GP) mentioned that he does 991 headlights most of the time with his PPF packages (of course it's up to the owner)

There are a handful of threads about headlight delamination on here. From what I've gathered I think it comes down to your installer specifically and your trust in him or her.. I fear more for rock chips and my LEDs getting blasted than potential delamination when you remove the PPF 5+ years later
Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Once again, I discover how ignorant I am/was. When I had XPEL installed, I didn't know about making sure it got wrapped around all the edges. I got lucky, and that's how it was installed... Now, I learn that the headlights can be damaged when removing the PPF? That's just great. Fortunately, the installer covered the headlights with XPEL but did NOT wrap around the edges (or remove the headlight housing); there is a small gap where the PPF is slightly smaller than the surface of the headlight covers. Plus, it was obviously done with care; there's no evidence that someone scratched anything with a knife so I assume it was cut to size on a template rather than being trimmed after being applied. I hope the fact that it wasn't wrapped around the edges of the headlight is sufficient to prevent delamination if/when it is removed.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Interesting, the guy I am going with for PPF (Moe @ GP) mentioned that he does 991 headlights most of the time with his PPF packages (of course it's up to the owner)

There are a handful of threads about headlight delamination on here. From what I've gathered I think it comes down to your installer specifically and your trust in him or her.. I fear more for rock chips and my LEDs getting blasted than potential delamination when you remove the PPF 5+ years later
The installer I am thinking about using is recommending wrapping the headlights, too. He does a lot of 911s and high-end cars. I haven't had it done yet, still on the fence.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:56 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

It really comes down to installer skill and comfort level.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...-to-avoid.html

if it we’re my 911, I’d cover them in a heartbeat...but make sure you find an installer that has experience with install AND removal.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

How much are they charging for full front wrap? Trying to get some reference numbers. Thanks
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 AM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

I had full PPF done by Esoteric, they removed the headlights and applied PPF. What will happen in 3-5 years, who knows but I am happy having them protected.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Why not have the headlights covered without removing the headlights? A good PPF installer can cover 90% of the headlight with minimal seams.
Exactly. Nothing difficult about this.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
How much are they charging for full front wrap? Trying to get some reference numbers. Thanks
I paid 2k in Atlanta. Front clip, door handles, side mirrors. Did not cover headlights.
Installer used Suntek film. I expect to get 5-6 years out of it.
Respected installer, does a lot of high end cars. Did a great job.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
actually, it’s very difficult. Here’s an experiment you can do at home....get an egg out and a 2”x3” piece of paper, and try to cover the egg...let me know how it goes 😉

in all seriousness, headlights are extremely soft plastic and at 50-60mph, small rock chips might as well be little bullets. It’s the prudent decision to make ONLY if your installer is comfortable
Old 03-11-2018, 12:33 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
you are actually somewhat correct...a capable installer can install a pre-cut headlight kit with no issues. Problem is, there will be an edge that comes about 3-5mm short of outer edge of headlight, and that edge is most often not symmetrical. But for sure, it would be functional and provide excellent protection
Old 03-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone make the Lexan lens covers that attach with Dual-lock tabs similar to what is a very popular option with some touring motorcycles.? You know they are there, but are easily removed and protect like nothing else.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

actually, it’s very difficult. Here’s an experiment you can do at home....get an egg out and a 2”x3” piece of paper, and try to cover the egg...let me know how it goes 😉

in all seriousness, headlights are extremely soft plastic and at 50-60mph, small rock chips might as well be little bullets. It’s the prudent decision to make ONLY if your installer is comfortable
Originally Posted by MoeMistry

you are actually somewhat correct...a capable installer can install a pre-cut headlight kit with no issues. Problem is, there will be an edge that comes about 3-5mm short of outer edge of headlight, and that edge is most often not symmetrical. But for sure, it would be functional and provide excellent protection
Well that clears that up. LOL

I think many people will take the "edge that comes about 3-5mm short of outer edge of headlight" for the added protection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPF on headlights of 991.2 Need advice fast!